The BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer (BGTRW), Version 1.0 is now available
for your use.
One of the largest obstacles is the HTML generation of the reports. MS Word
is nearly unworkable, and other MS solutions are clunky. I personally - and I'm
sure the editors do too - spend a lot of time helping people with this issue.
Another problem is that some of the reports look terrible because even though
some folks try, they just don't 'get it'. I wanted to come up with an
editor that fit several criteria.
1. Easy to use.
2. No necessity for user to know HTML.
3. Basic functionality, but allowing users to do their own HTML if they liked.
4. Easy organization and tracking of reports.
5. Generates very clean HTML.
Unfortunately, there isn't any program on the market - free or otherwise - that
fulfils those criteria, so I wrote my own.
So, if you want to participate in BackpackGearTest.org, but are having a hard
time with HTML, the Report Writer was built for you.
Simply download the
BGT Report Writer Setup file here, and install it.
Educational links for using the Report Writer are here:
PPS File: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/software/rwt1.pps
Power Point File: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/software/rwt1.ppt
PDF File: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/software/rwt1.pdf
Please be aware of
1. The setup file is 14 megabytes. Downloading it on a dialup
connection will take awhile.
2. All Windows PC platforms are supported, from Win95 through Windows
Vista. Macintosh OS is not supported, and you should not
attempt to install the program on any Macintosh OS. Macintosh users are
encouraged to use NVU.
3. There is no external documentation. All documentation is provided
inside the program itself. Look for the HELP buttons on every page.
4. If you have questions or problems, I will support the Report Writer on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BGTFileUploadHelp/ group. Include
"REPORT WRITER PROBLEM" in the subject.
5. If you have suggestions for improvements, please also send those to the
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BGTFileUploadHelp/ group, with a subject
line of REPORT WRITER IMPROVEMENTS. Several improvements are already
planned for Version 2.
6. The Report Writer installs into the
C:\MyBGT\ folder, and ONLY that folder. If you wish to remove the
program after installation, please do so through the Windows Add/Remove Programs
function in the Control Panel of your Operating System.
Shane Steinkamp, BGT Report Writer Writer