Reviews > Animal Companion Gear > Dog Wear > Stunt Puppy Puff Doggy Coat > Test Report by David Wilkes

Test series by David Wilkes

Gender: M
Height: 5'11" (1.80 m)
Weight: 210 lb (90.7 kg)

Biography:

I started backpacking in 1995 when I moved to Washington State. Since then, I have backpacked in all seasons and conditions the Northwest has to offer.  I prefer trips on rugged trails with plenty of elevation gain. While I continuously strive to lighten my load, comfort and safety are most important to me. I have finally managed to get my basic cold weather pack weight, not including consumables, to under 30 lb (14 kg).

Product Information

www.stuntpuppy.com

MSRP:

$110.00 USD

Size:

Available in 7 sizes ranging from MINI to XL. (detailed sizing guide on website)

Weight:

Listed: medium weighs 10oz / 283g
Measured: Large   11oz / 312g

Color:

Available in 2 colors:
"Sage" and "Red"

Product pix

Product Description:

The Puff Doggy is in essence a belay jacket for dogs. “Just like your puffer jacket the Puff Doggy is designed to keep your warm when you’re chillin’ out.” Originally designed for avalanche crews, the jacket is generous in size, made from two different weights of “down-alternative” insulation (100 & 200g) arranged to provide more insulation to key areas (spine, hips, shoulders, and chest) in a Pertex shell. The jacket is intended to provide maximum warmth and coverage while minimizing bulk and it packs down into its own built in pouch.

January 18 2019

Meg's Bio:
InsideBefore joining our family Meg was apparently abused and abandoned. Best we can tell she is a chocolate lab and terrier mix and the vet estimates she was born around April 2016. Her chest is about 33" (84cm), belly 25" (64cm) and from base of neck to tail 21" (53cm). Weight about 79lbs (32kg). She has short dark brown fur with some white spots. She is almost all muscle and bone (the vet has described her as "freakishly strong"), overheats in the heat/sun very easily, and has very bad hip dysplasia. Despite her size and sometimes intimidating looks, she is one of the most cuddly and lovable dogs I have ever met, and really seems to love children (and for some reason our cat, who seems to hate and torment her at every opportunity).

To start off I love the name “Stunt Puppy” and as we have a running joke that Meg’s rapper name would be “the notorious D.O.G.” so the jacket being called “Puff Doggy” seems fitting.

Meg has short thin fur and (unlike me) very little body fat, so she is not especially suited to our northwest winter conditions. She wears a coat when it is especially cold and raining/snowing. I also have her wear her coat to sleep in when we camp as she is not good at staying under covers and does not fit in my sleeping bag (but she really really wants to).

The Puff Doggy is available in two colors [sage/black, red/black]. We received the red (our preferred color). It also comes in 7 sizes [MINI, XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL]. Based on Meg’s size and weight (the manufacturer's site has a detailed fitting chart) we chose the L (large) size which seems a little large for her but I would rather it be a bit large than too small.

The front reflective detail as well as the tail and one back leg loop can be seen in the attached photo.

The jacket shell is smooth and soft, what I would consider a medium weight shell if it were one of my down jackets. I would mention that the manufacturer states this jacket is focused on lightweight warmth and not intended for activities like running through the brush, so it is very much like my own lightweight puffy jackets. It has an extended collar around the back of the neck and reflective details: two strips on the sides and the Stunt Puppy logo on the chest. The jacket slips on over Meg’s head and is secured under her belly by way of two secure side-release Duraflex buckles that are on the ends of elastic straps (nice detail). The buckles are adjustable and have a locking mechanism to hold them in place on the straps. There are also elastic loops for her back legs and tail so that the coat remains in place. It looks as if using the back leg and tail straps could be optional depending on activity and need. Getting the jacket on for the first time was quite easy, in fact easier than her other jacket and most of her harnesses. Once on she did not seem to notice it, but she is used to wearing jackets and harnesses so I am not sure how typical she is in this regard. One of the design features mentioned by the manufacturer is “There are no straight lines on a dog, so there are no straight lines on a Stunt Puppy”, and based on the initial fitting I would say this jacket fits well.

Stuff SackOne additional feature of the Puff Doggy is the built-in stuff sack. There is a pocket sewn inside the jacket at the neck that when turned inside out becomes a storage pocket for the jacket.

Stunt Puppy touts the product as being well constructed and durable with features like bar tack stitching as used in climbing gear, performance fabrics; “We make our gear with the same fabrics you’ll find in your own favorite stuff”, and “when it comes to buckles, we don’t mess around: We use the best ones on the market”. Given that Meg has been described by her vet as being “freakishly strong” I appreciate that level of construction (and we just might put its strength to the test). Initial inspection of the Puff Doggy suggests it is quite well constructed and I could find no obvious flaws.

As for Likes/Dislikes, I would say I really like the fit, east of getting on/off and lightweight warmth, not to mention the attractive color and reflective details. The slide-release buckles seem to come loose easily (have to readjust each time I put it on her) and I wish there was an opening on the back of the neck for me to attach the lead to her collar.

Field Report

due March 2019

Long Term Report

due May 2019

This concludes my Initial Report. I invite you to return in 2 months for the next installment.
I would like to thank the folks at Stunt Puppy
and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.

Read more reviews of Stunt Puppy gear