Reviews > Animal Companion Gear > Dog Wear > Stunt Puppy Puff Doggy Coat > Test Report by Michael Pearl

STUNT PUPPY PUFF DOGGY
TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL

INITIAL REPORT - January 15, 2018

NAME: Mike Pearl
EMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcom
LOCATION: Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
GENDER: M

I have a great appreciation for the outdoors and get out at every opportunity. I am a three-season, learning to be a four-season backpacker and year-round hiker. Currently, my trips are two to three days long as well as an annual week-long trip. I utilize the abundant trail shelters in my locale and pack a backup tarp-tent. I like to cover big distances while still taking in the views. I have lightweight leanings but function and reliability are the priority. I mostly travel woodland mountain terrain but enjoy hiking beautiful trails anywhere.

Manufacturer: Stunt Puppy
Year of Manufacture: 2019
Manufacturer's Website: www.stuntpuppy.com
Made in Utah, USA
MSRP: US$110.00

Listed Weight: 10 oz (283 g) for medium size
Measured Weight: 9 oz (262 g)

Sizes Available: Mini through XL
Size Tested: Medium
Tester Weight: 55 lbs (25 kg)
Tester Length: 22 in (56 cm) from shoulder to base of tail

Packed Dimensions: 7 x 4 x 2 in (18 x 10 x 5 cm)
Measured Packed Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 4 in (23 x 10 x 5 cm)

Colors Available: Sage (light green / black) and Red (red / black)
Color Tested: Red

Materials -
- Pertex nylon outer layer
- Thinsulate polyester insulation
- Side-release Duraflex fastenings

Features -
- 200 and 400g insulation divided into chambers to provide extra warmth to spine, hips, shoulders and chest
- Extended coverage over elbows, thighs and tail to protect joints when lying down
- Compacts to store inside itself
- Machine washable and quick dry
- Fit-to-move design, curved panels and articulating seams

IMAGE 2 IMAGE 3

The Puff Doggy arrived in good condition. The red and black color scheme is sharp and appealing. There's a reflective Stunt Puppy logo on the chest and on the left side a Puff Doggy tag. The Puff is nicely made. The fabric, seams and stitching are all even, intact and of good quality. I especially like the stretchy finished edge along the bottom of the jacket. There are two elastic straps attached to the chest of the jacket. The buckles on the strap are adjustable to dial in the fit. The buckles match up to their counterparts found on the left and right sides of the jacket. On the inside just below the collar is a built-in stuff sack.

The Puff Doggy looks and feels like it would be warm. The functional design of the puff comes with hardware that is well-placed and easily operable, all in a stylish, outdoorsy, doggy, kind of way.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

The Puff Doggy did not come with any use instructions. I feel as a dog owner there is no need as the jacket is obvious. There are tags and labels with product care and warranty. There is, however, mention on the Stunt Puppy website that the Puff Doggy is ideal for camping, sedate winter walks and not intended for running through the bush. The suggestion is the same care is needed with this jacket as I would give my own insulating layer.

Product Care

Air outside frequently. Ocasionally machine wash, on warm. Fasten buckles, use delicate cycle, use tech-fabric wash or mild soap and avoid fabric softeners. Line dry and cool tumble to finish and puff. Do not iron, do not bleach.

Warranty

One year from date of purchase goods to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Specifically excludes damage due to wear and tear, chewing or product misuse. If product fails to comply with warranty remedy is limited to repair or replacement of product.

TRYING IT OUT

After looking over the Puff Doggy myself I called Oscar over to have a look and a sniff. I then slipped the jacket over his head. I passed the chest section underneath and passed the straps up to the side. After attaching and adjusting each of the side buckles the Puff was on. Oscar showed very little reaction. I took this to mean he didn't mind it. I then noticed two thin elastic straps at the rear of the jacket. They looked perfectly positioned to go around Oscars hind legs. I gently one at a time lifted his feet and slipped the straps around his upper leg. While doing so I noticed another smaller elastic between the other two. I assumed this one would go around his tail. During this time Oscar seemed to be raising an eyebrow and looking under his leg. I don't think he was completely comfortable with the straps so I didn't bother trying the tail strap.

The Puff fits Oscar well and covers his neck, chest, back and sides nicely. All materials and construction look to be of very good quality. Stunt Puppy says they use "human grade" fabrics, I never knew this was a thing but looking and feeling the Puff I understand what they mean. If handed the Puff with my eyes closed I wouldn't know it's a dog jacket. It feels just as soft and has that coziness of an insulated puffy jacket. While Oscar didn't seem to care for the hind leg straps I think I like them. The other insulated jacket we use flops up when Oscar runs leaving the rear half of his back exposed. Come to think of it Oscar just might end up liking a warmer back too.

We only ventured outside to snap some quick photos with the Puff. We didn't go too far but we walk every morning and tomorrow is going to be a cold one. We'll get our first real experience then. We went back in and removed the Puff Doggy. Taking the jacket off is as easy as putting it on.

SUMMARY

The Stunt Puppy Puff Doggy is a nicely designed well made insulated dog jacket. It fits Oscars nicely and he seems to like it. I like the adjustability of the straps and secure fit the rear leg straps provide. I am slightly concerned about durability as Oscar likes to roll around in the snow sometimes and run off trail a lot. I am curious to see how well the Puff works while it's snowing and if there's any change in Oscar's behavior when it's really cold. Well with that said I am going to take the advice at the bottom of the tag on the Puff. "Now that you're done reading this - go take your dog out."

This concludes my Initial Report. Over the next two months Oscar and I will be getting outside with the Puff Doggy. Please return then for our Field Report. I would like to thank Stunt Puppy and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to participate in this test series.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2019. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Stunt Puppy gear