Reviews > Base Camp Gear > Misc Tools and Toys > Test Report by David Wilkes

Gender: M
Height: 5'11" (1.80 m)
Weight: 200 lb (90.7 kg)

Biography:

I started backpacking in 1995 when I moved to Washington State. Since then, I have backpacked in all seasons and conditions the Northwest has to offer.  I prefer trips on rugged trails with plenty of elevation gain. While I continuously strive to lighten my load, comfort and safety are most important to me. I have finally managed to get my basic cold weather pack weight, not including consumables, to under 30 lb (14 kg).

Product Information

www.thepocketshot.com

MSRP:

$25 USD

Weight,   Listed / Measured

Not listed /  2 oz (57 g)

Dimensions,  Listed / Measured

2.3 " x 1.3 " (58 mm x 33 mm) /  2.75 " x 1.5 " (70 mm x 38 mm)
5 " (127 mm) overall length

The Pocket Shot

Product Description:

The Pocket Shot is a very different take on the old rubber sling shot. Instead of the traditional 'Y' handle and rubber bands, it uses a round body and cone shaped (latex) rubber pocket. There is even a screw on lid that allows The Pocket Shot to become a storage container for its own ammo. There are a couple of different versions of the product and a few accessories. This review is for the base model Pocket Shot – Black. In addition to the basic product (ring body, screw on lid, black pocket and blue "pro" pocket), I also received a second black pocket and bag with 100 5/16 " (8 mm) steel balls.

October 18 2017

PartsIt is not very often that someone comes along and creates an entirely new way of producing an old tried and true product like a sling shot. But the manufacturers of The Pocket Shot (hence forth referred to as just Pocket Shot) have managed just that. I am not sure I would go as far as saying the Pocket Shot is revolutionary, but it sure is interesting.

Like a traditional sling shot the Pocket Shot is capable of firing an assortment of ammunition, but having no leather, plastic or other durable material for holding the ammunition like most traditional slingshots do, the pocket shot is not intended to fire anything but smooth round ammunition. The manufacturer recommends using 1/4 " to 5/16 " (6 mm - 8 mm) steel slugs, marbles, small paintballs around .4 cal (~10mm), and airsoft pellets. They advise against sharp items like rocks and glass as well as BB's as they are likely to tear the pouch and obviously can be quite dangerous. The manufacturer also sells, in addition to the recommended size steel balls and other accessories, 10mm (~.4 ") ABS plastic practice ammunition.

The product came with a small piece of paper that contained some basic instructions and numerous warnings and safety guidelines. Probably the easiest to overlook is the warning about Latex. The product does contain natural rubber latex which some may be allergic to. Beyond that there are a number of warning and "DO NOT" statements which basically cover what should be mostly obvious regarding the safe use of a product like this. I won't list them all here but would mention one in particular due to personal experience, and that is the caution to ALWAYS wear eye protection. When I was young I was firing a friend's bb gun had a pellet ricochet off of a steel pipe and strike the wall right next to my head at eye level. Needless to say I have been a fan of eye protection ever since that close call.

I would note, and it is mentioned by the manufacturer, that laws vary and the possession and/or use of this product may be prohibited or restricted. It is important to check local laws and regulations.

Modern art?Upon receiving the product I performed a basic inspection to familiarize myself with the components, how they work and ensure there were no obvious problems or flaws. Then being the kid at heart I am, I immediately took it out into the yard and shot a few steel balls into a cardboard box. I was struck by a few immediately obvious things. First it is surprisingly accurate (I was about 10 yards/meters from the target) and easy to shoot. Second, I am not half bad at shooting it left handed. I am right handed but am suffering from tendinitis in my left arm (commonly referred to as tennis elbow) making holding the pocket shot with my left hand very painful. The last immediately obvious thing? This thing is fun to shoot and I will have to reign in my natural instincts to keep myself out of trouble (I already had one shot ricochet off the box and strike my new camper. Don't tell my wife!). The next thing I did was purchase a rather large container (it was the only size available) of .4 cal (~10 mm) paint pellets. After a few minutes of firing those at a scrap of plywood, I became quite sure I am going to get into trouble. That is WAY too much fun! I would note the paint pellets are not as accurate as the steel balls, but they have some distinct advantages; few to no ricochets and they make it quite obvious where they hit. Also being water based and biodegradable, there are no small pieces of steel in the grass for my lawnmower to find (Yikes!).

Likes:
  • Small, lightweight, and easy to use.

Dislikes:
  • So much fun, it might be too easy to get into trouble.

Field Report

Due Dec 2017

Long Term Report

Due Feb 2017

This concludes my Initial Report. I would like to thank the folks at POCKET SHOT LLC and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product and invite you to return in about 2 months for the next installment of this report.

Read more gear reviews by David Wilkes