Reviews > Base Camp Gear > Misc Tools and Toys > Test Report by joe schaffer

NAME: Joe Schaffer
EMAIL: never2muchstuff(at)yahoo(dot)com
GENDER: Male
HOME:  Bay Area, California USA

I enjoy California's central Sierras, camping every month with a goal to match my age in nights out each year. For comfort I lug tent, mattress, chair and such. Typical summer trips run 5-8 days; 40 lb (18 kg), about half food and water related; about 5 miles (8 km) per hiking day in the bright and sunny granite in and around Yosemite. I winter base camp most often at 6,000 to 7,000 ft (1,800 to 2,000 m); 2 to 3 nights; 50 lb (23 kg); a mile or so (1.6 km) on snowshoes.

Product: The PocketShotPocket Shot-Black

Manufacturer:  Pocket Shot, LLC.
    Website: http://www.thepocketshot.com

Manufacturer specifications:

Weight: na
         Length with stowed pouch: 2.3 in (58 mm)
         Length w/ ready pouch: 5 in (127 mm)
         Ring outside diameter: 1.3 in ( cm)

Features:
            •projectile speed up to 350 fps (107 mps)
            •fast loading
            •small size
            •1/4-5/16 in (6.4-7.9 mm) recommended shot

My Specs:
        Weight:
             cap, rings, pouch: 2 oz (55 g)
             cap: 3/4 oz (21 g)
             black pouch: 3/8 oz (11 g)
             blue pouch: 1/2 oz (13 g)
        Dimensions:
             Total relaxed length: 5 in (127 mm)
             Pouch relaxed length: 3 7/8 in (98 mm)
             Black Pouch extended length: 9 in (30 cm)
             Ring outside diameter: 2 3/8 in (60 mm)
             Ring inside diameter: 1 5/8 in (41 mm)

MSRP: $25 US

Received: October 14, 2017

My Description:
   This is a slingshot that uses an elastic pouch instead of a strap for loading energy behind a projectile. The pouch can hold multiple projectiles (as shown in the directions attending the product, though the lawyer page for liability says not to do it). The pouch anchors to a round base gripped in the fingers of one hand, palm towards up, similar to holding a flashlight but with enough grip strength to hold the ring steady as the pouch is pulled back. The ring is grooved all the way around to gain purchase for grip. Aim the Pocket Shot as one might aim a closedflashlight, pinch the pouch in front of the projectile load and pull back on the pouch. The pouch is molded in substantially the same shape as a pipe reamer--cone shaped with ridges. The pouch folds into the ring for storage. The ring has a screw-on cap. Fishing and other accessory items are available on the website, including various ammo choices and replacement pouches and parts.
    The blue pouch is the Pro model and has substantially stronger elasticity. It's shot pocketshard for me to pull back. If the arthritis has a good day, perhaps I'll be able to take advantage of the more powerful potential.
    An inner ring/outer ring assembly holds the pouch in place. According to instructions, the inner ring must not be over-tightened or it will be difficult to replace the pouch. At the moment that appears to be the case.
    However, reading the instructions (argh) again (ARGH) reveals that the cap can be turned around and inserted to use as a tool. Directions don't say which way to turn, and as I held it, the cap needed to be turned clockwise, which seemed backwards for loosening.
    Lawyer page warns against using ammo such as BBs, rocks, glass or any type of sharp object.
    And perhaps it should be noted that a product capable of spitting out a projectile at 350 fps (107 mps) is not a toy and is capable of causing injury.

Impressions:
   How can this not be fun? I can shoot multiple projectiles at once if I want, (which may not be within mfr guidelines) and in my book shotgun always outranks solo bullet for killing beer cans adequately dead. I might be able to fire grape tomatoes at squirrels chewing on the internet cable, which will give the crows something to eat instead of squirrel babies. I might dirty a neighbor's window, but shouldn't break anything. I can't think of a more win-win-win situation. Even the grocer's happy! (The lawyer page says the product might kill small animals, but presumably they aren't anticipating tomatoes as bullets.)
    Replacement pouches are available on the website, so I won't have to be careful about what kind of detritus I load. (It should be noted that the lawyer page says not to use anything except paintballs, airsoft pellets and slingshot ammo.) My backpacking Leave-No-Trace ethos objects to flinging not-in-nature projectiles about the wilderness, so I will not be using manufactured loads. (Kudos to the mfr. for not selling lead, but I don't like leaving any kind of man-made stuff out there.)
    I took a few quick shots in the bedroom (which the lawyer page says could kill me) and lost the (plastic) projectiles. (I may be in trouble with an authority far more capable of instilling fear.) They went fast enough I couldn't see them in the short distance of a room; and they seemed to hit what I was aiming at. (In fact I ultimately found one of them in a pocket of the pack I was aiming at.)
    I feel compelled to nit-pick that the beverage can shot on the website doesn't look much of a test of accuracy--arm's length distance?

SUMMATION:
    This looks like fun. Come back in two months (hopefully I won't have gotten myself in jail).

Quick shots:
    a) tiny
    b) easy to use

Thank you Pocket Shot, LLC., and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product. Field Report to follow in two months and Long Term Report in four.

Read more gear reviews by joe schaffer

Reviews > Base Camp Gear > Misc Tools and Toys > Test Report by joe schaffer