Reviews > Books > Field Guides > The Ultimate Hang 2 > Test Report by Kurt Papke

The Ultimate Hang

Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
Weight: 228 lbs (103 kg)
Email address: kwpapke (at) gmail (dot) com
City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona USA

I have been a hardcore hammock camper since March 2008, sleeping in a hammock in temperatures from -27F (-33 C) to +100F (38 C), from sea level to 10,000 ft (3050 m) of altitude, from Canada to Southern Arizona. I sleep on the ground when I must, such as in the Grand Canyon where hanging a hammock from trees is not allowed, but I prefer not to!

Product Facts

$19.95 USD
1 lb, 12 oz
(792 g)
Paperback with matte cover

This book has an ambitious agenda: address all aspects of hammock camping for everyone from beginner to the advanced DIYer.  As is clear from the photo above-right, it has grown substantially from the first edition: it is taller, wider and thicker.

Initial Inspection

uh21The first thing that struck me when I received the book was the mailing label (see photo at left).  He even has an illustration on the label!  That was one of the strengths of the first edition, my guess is he had gone to even greater lengths to create illustrations that demonstrate the more difficult concepts to grasp in hammock camping.  We shall see!  Another thing that is noticeable from the cover in the above photo is apparently some of the illustrations are done with more subtle shading to give them more feeling of depth and lighting.

Taking a look at the table of contents, some of the structure has been retained from the first edition: staying dry, warm and bug free still all have their own chapters.  There are also brand new chapters, such as The Basic Setup which is great, as that addresses one of my criticisms of the first edition, that it was too much and overwhelming for beginners.

This is not going to be a one-night read - it will take me some time to plow through such a big text.  The good news is, flipping through the pages, there are a LOT of illustrations, including many that are full page.  The bad news is, the illustrations are so important that I'll have to spend substantial effort looking at them closely.  I am looking forward to it.

Stop back in a few months for my full report on this exciting new book!

Many thanks to Derek Hansen and for the opportunity to test this product.

Read more reviews of CreateSpace gear
Read more gear reviews by Kurt Papke

Product tested and reviewed in each Formal Test Report has been provided free of charge by the manufacturer to Upon completion of the Test Series the writer is permitted to keep the product. Owner Reviews are based on product owned by the reviewer personally unless otherwise noted.

All material on this site is the exclusive property of