Reviews > Books > Field Guides > The Ultimate Hang 2 > Test Report by joe schaffer

The Ultimate Hang 2-Derek Hansen

Test Report by Joe Schaffer

INITIAL REPORT - February 11, 2018

NAME: Joe Schaffer
EMAIL: never2muchstuff(at)yahoo(dot)com
GENDER: Malejacket backjacket front
HOME:  Bay Area, California USA

I enjoy California's central Sierras, camping every month with a goal to match my age in nights out each year. For comfort I lug tent, mattress, chair and such. Typical summer trips run 5-8 days; 40 lb (18 kg), about half food and water related; about 5 miles (8 km) per hiking day in the bright and sunny granite in and around Yosemite. I winter base camp most often at 6,000 to 7,000 ft (1,800 to 2,000 m); 2 to 3 nights; 50 lb (23 kg); a mile or so (1.6 km) on snowshoes.

Product: The Ultimate Hang 2

My Specs:
     Pages: 344
     Sections: 9
     Illustrated pages: 340, line drawings
     Dimensions: 8 in w x 10 h x 7/8 t (203 mm x 254 x 22)
     Weight: 1 lb 11 7/8 oz (789 g)
     Cover: Soft

MSRP: $19.95 US
    Other formats: Kindle, $9.99 US

Received: February 6, 2018

My Description:
   "The Ultimate Hang 2" offers a comprehensive evaluation of hammock styles, uses and pitches; along with instruction how to make hammock camping fit into the environmental Leave No Trace ethos.

I did not know there could be so much to know about "hanging". Already I've discovered I do it wrong! I'm looking forward to warmer seasons where I can test out the "right" way to do it. I've logged 40 nights hanging and not found it superior to tenting. Perhaps when I follow directions (which is always painful) I'll better 'get' the program.
    The book is a trove of illustrations and explanations. Hansen obviously holds a passion for this style of camping, though his comparative analysis regarding tents (my passion) seems complete and balanced. He makes big of hammock camping advantages and does not shy from the less favorable attributes (like when it's cold!).
    Note my age as I make this comment: The type face seems weak and tiring to read. If this were just a browse I picked off the shelf, I'd be inclined to put it back. My journalism professor would scold for the lack of perfection in proofing.

Quick shots:
    a) Comprehensive
    b) Informative
    c) Easy to understand
    d) Weak typeface
Thank you Derek Hanson and for the opportunity to test this product. Field Report to follow in two months and Long Term in four months.

Read more reviews of CreateSpace gear
Read more gear reviews by joe schaffer

Product tested and reviewed in each Formal Test Report has been provided free of charge by the manufacturer to Upon completion of the Test Series the writer is permitted to keep the product. Owner Reviews are based on product owned by the reviewer personally unless otherwise noted.

All material on this site is the exclusive property of