Reviews > Camp Chairs and Seating > Other > WindPouch GO Inflatable Hammock > Test Report by Morgan Lypka

WINDPOUCH GO HAMMOCK
TEST SERIES BY MORGAN LYPKA

NAME: Morgan Lypka
GENDER: Female
HEIGHT: 5’4” (1.6 m)
WEIGHT: 110 lb (50 kg)
EMAIL: m DOT lypka AT yahoo.com
City, Province, Country: Fernie, British Columbia (B.C.), Canada

Backpacking Background: I mainly started backpacking 2 years ago, when I moved to the Canadian Rocky Mountains for work, so I am still fairly new to the backpacking scene. I am originally from Saskatchewan, Canada, where I have done some Northern canoe portage trips. Most of my backpacking ventures are 1 to 4 days. I normally get cold very quickly, and handle heat very well. Mostly, my trips involve hiking, trail running, fly fishing or day trip mountain biking. I am starting to do more ski touring, kayaking and rock climbing ventures.

PRODUCT INFORMATION AND SPECS
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Manufacturer’s Website: https://windpouch.com/
MSRP: U.S. $79.99
Listed Weight: 3.1 lbs (1.4 kg)
Measured Weight: 2.9 lbs (1.3 kg)
Product Length: 96 in (244 cm)
Colour Tested: Royal Purple
Additional Colours: Cool Blue, True Navy, Emerald Green, Imperial Red, Black

Initial Review
August 1, 2017

The WindPouch GO (WindPouch or hammock) is made from Hex-RS Fabric. It has reinforced seams and triple stitching. The WindPouch is intended to support up to 500 lbs (226.8 kg). It is designed to have a pillow headrest pop-up when the sleeves are inflated. The WindPouch also has a locking buckle attached to itself.
The WindPouch comes with an aluminum stake for staking the WindPouch in the ground, and it comes with a carabiner for which to hook onto the WindPouch and the loop that is attached to the stake. It also comes with a carrying case with one shoulder strap, a small case for the WindPouch stake and carabiner and a one pager instructional handout. The handout includes instructions on setup, inflation, and stowing, and it also refers to instructional videos online.
There is a video to inflate the WindPouch, which the manufacturer states is designed to remain sealed (hold air) for 6-8 hours, and one video on replacing the inner plastic liner, which the manufacturer recommends to do every 3-6 months.

case
WindPouch and its amenities (carrying case, stake and carabiner, stake and carabiner case, instructional handout)

The WindPouch is essentially a one-piece U-shaped tube, stitched together in the middle. At one end is the pop-up headrest, and at the other is the sleeve openings and the buckle. This buckle serves to hold the WindPouch closed, and it also serves to hold the WindPouch together once it has been rolled up, for ease of packing away the WindPouch in the carrying case.
The one strap on the bag isn’t ideal for carrying long distances. The bag swung around my shoulder when I was carrying it a distance of about 400 m (1300 ft).
Instructions guide the user to open only one sleeve at a time during inflation, and then switch once the one side is full. What I noticed in filling the bag is that both sides inflate from one side, so they are not fully closed off from each other. There was no need for me to switch sleeves due to this. After initial difficulties inflating the WindPouch, I turned to the instructional video and found it helpful and necessary to watch. The handout doesn’t give enough instructions on inflation, whereas the video shows a small whip at the end of “air collection” that is essential in keeping the air in.
The stake is aluminum, with a blunt end, and when I tried to put it into hard soil, it wouldn’t enter the ground.
I have not used the pocket on the side yet, but I’m looking forward to storing a book, sunglasses and my phone in it.
The WindPouch doesn’t pack down “backpacking size” small, but it does fit in a fairly small carrying case. I also like that the carrying case colour matches the WindPouch colour.

TRYING IT OUT
As of yet, based on my inflation skills, I have not been able to keep the WindPouch off the ground when I inflate it. It was fine for the area I was using it in, mainly grass, so it just got a bit of dirt on it. However, I see this being a problem if I’m trying to inflate it in a rocky or bushy area. I could see it getting snagged on many things.
When I rolled up the sleeves to seal the bag, occasionally the roll would unravel a bit when I sat on the bag and I would sink down further in the WindPouch.

yard
WindPouch in my backyard (lacking a bit of inflation due to my difficulties inflating)

I used it in a park in Fernie one day, while waiting for a race to finish in town. My brother laid in it while his girlfriend and I sat on a blanket and leaned up against it. It was an awesome backrest for us even though we weren’t sitting in it. I could see this as a huge asset in the backcountry. I was using it in pretty hot weather in Fernie (32 C or 89.6 F) and the material did not get too hot. I would be curious if the black colour one would get too hot..

It has probably been due to my lack of inflation skills on getting the WindPouch fully inflated, but I found that I sank to the middle of the WindPouch, rather than laid on top. This was less comfortable, and it also made it more difficult to get up and out of the WindPouch.

SUMMARY
Likes:
•    The headrest seems comfortable so far, and is something I haven’t seen in other models.

Dislikes:
•    Dragging. It hasn’t been possible for me so far to keep the WindPouch off the ground when I’m trying to inflate. This raises concern for getting it dirty and increasing wear and tear.
•    Aluminum stake. From first glance, I would prefer something stronger with a sharper end that readily enters the ground.

Field Report
November 5, 2017

Tests and Details:

TRIP 1
Location: Burton Lake, British Columbia (B.C.), Canada. The lake is semi in the backcountry of the Rocky Mountains - accessed from a dirt road and a short hike in.
Length: Day trip. Lake is roughly a 300 m (1000 ft) hike down a path through rocks from the parking spot.
Elevation: Roughly 150 m (500 ft) change in elevation going down towards the lake.
Temperature and Weather: 23 C (73 F). Sunny with some clouds.

Accessing Burton Lake, I carried the hammock down with the bag over my shoulder. It was fine for the short distance, but the bag does swing around a bit, so I would never hike with it this way. Instead, I would add the bag to a larger backpack. It took me a long, long time to get the hammock inflated. The lake is very sheltered, with mountains all around, so there wasn’t a lot of wind, and there wasn’t a lot of space to move around. From the picture below, you can see that I didn’t get it fully inflated. A couple of my friends tried as well, but I was much better off as I now have some experience. I couldn’t move fast enough to get the hammock off the ground, so it made me nervous when it dragged over rocks and bushes as I was trying to inflate it. So far, no tears, but the area where I was inflating it was wet on the ground so it got a bit dirty during the process. During this trip, I also started to notice that the inner plastic liner is beginning to detach from the outside bag a little bit. I will take a picture for the LTR. Once set up, it was comfortable, but not quite as comfortable as when it is fully inflated.

TRIP 2
Location: 3 Sisters Mountains (a.k.a Mount Trinity), just outside of Fernie, B.C in the Rockies.
Duration: Overnight trip (1 night, 2 days). This trip was intended to be 2 nights and 3 days, but was shortened due to caution around forest fires and a backcountry ban in the area. Needless to say the area was dry.
Elevation, Length and Trail Condition: 2290 m (7500 ft) in about 8.5 km (5.3 mi) on the way up.
Temperature and Weather: Weather was warm during the day and near the base, 20-25 C (68-77 F), and chilly during the night and at the peak, dipping probably to 0 C (32 F).

I brought the hammock with me on a pretty challenging hike, and fit it in my 65 L backpack. It fit fairly well. I placed it at the bottom of my bag where I would normally put an extra pair of shoes which I didn’t bring on the trip. It fit with my tent/fly/tent pad, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, some clothes, a stove, a small pot and some food. I didn’t notice a weight difference, so can’t complain there. This is where the testing ends. My intentions were to use it at the peak, where we would be camping for the night. It was extremely windy at the top, and getting dark when we got there, so I made the call of not setting up the hammock. I didn’t have time to set it up on the way down as we were rushing to get out of the backcountry before the backcountry fire ban started at noon that day for the region. After this test I can say that it is backpackable. I would bring it into the backcountry again.

TRIP 3
Location: Golden, B.C. in the Rocky Mountains.
Trip details: Overnight (2 nights, 2 days) Search and Rescue practice weekend camping
Temperature and Weather: About 15 C (59 F). Rainy with some sun.

Here, I set up the hammock on paved areas near our tents for the evenings. It was
awesome. Still difficult to inflate, but I tested it out with a friend, and it was comfortable
for both of us. Once we got off of it, we would need to inflate it again. I have found that
sometimes the end that gets rolled up can unravel, releasing some of the air. I think this is based on how I roll it up, as it doesn't happen every time. The website recommends rolling it up 3-5 times, and I have rolled it up more then 5 to try and compensate for the lack of air that I have in the body. The website also has a video that demonstrates to push the buckle to the side, laying it flat against the hammock once it has been rolled up. This is a piece that I hadn't been doing, so I will see if that fixes my issue for the LTR. The material dried fairly quickly from the rain, which is a large benefit.

burton
Relaxing (in a not fully inflated but still comfortable WindPouch) at Burton Lake, B.C.

SUMMARY
Likes:
•    Comfort
•    Versatility with locations it can be set up! – with the exception of windy peaks on rocky ground
•    Headrest

Dislikes:
These haven’t changed too much for me. Still having difficulty inflating it, but it’s getting a bit easier for me. The aluminum stake isn’t comparable to quality tent stakes; it’s difficult to put in the ground and easily pulls or falls over. The hammock can get dirty during the inflation process as it drags on the ground. As well, I’m starting to see some wear where the liner and the outer material are attached.

Thanks BackpackGearTest.org and WindPouch for the opportunity to test the hammock! It has proven to be a fun piece to have at concerts, in the park, camping and at lakes in the backcountry. I’m looking forward to seeing my inflation skills improve and using it for a couple tests in the snow. Please return in approximately two months’ time to read my LTR.

Read more reviews of WindPouch gear
Read more gear reviews by Morgan Lypka