Reviews > Clothing > Hats > Outdoor Research Spring Ring Headnet > Owner Review by Nancy Griffith

June 05, 2010

NAME: Nancy Griffith
EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
LOCATION: Northern California, USA

My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails. The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania. I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long. I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and hiking poles.

BugAwayManufacturer: Outdoor Research
Year of Manufacture: 2009
Manufacturer's Website:
MSRP: $18 US
Listed Weight: 2.2 oz (62 g)
Measured Weight: 2.1 oz (60 g)
One Size: 22.5 to 25 in (57 to 61 cm) Hat Size US 7 1/8 to 7 5/8
My head size: 22 in (56 cm)
My hat size: US 7

The headnet is made of a no-see-um nylon mesh which is attached to a round piece of nylon at the top. At the bottom is a drawstring and cord lock which can be adjusted to close up any gaps between the mesh and my clothing. There is a spring ring metal hoop mid-way down the mesh which holds the mesh out away from my face. The spring ring can be folded up so that it and the mesh can be tucked into a built-in pocket in the crown and held closed with a snap. The spring ring folds up in a similar manner to those round car windshield shades.
How to FoldPacked
With one hand on top of the ring, and one under, twist the ring into a figure eight (fig. 1), then continue twisting in the same direction while bringing hands together (fig. 2). This will cause the ring to collapse into three smaller circles. Wrap the pouch halves around the whole thing to keep it together.'

In UseI used the headnet on multiple backpacking and boat camping trips last summer. Some examples of my trips include:

Boat Camping:
Loon Lake, Sierra Nevada (California): 3 days/2 nights; 6,200 ft (1,890 m); 50 to 75 F (10 to 24 C); very heavy mosquito activity at dusk

Pacific Crest Trail, Sierra Nevada (California): 4 days/3 nights; 29 mi (47 km); 7,820 to 9,000 ft (2,384 to 2,743 m); 45 to 75 F (7 to 24 C); heavy mosquito activity especially on 2nd evening

Pacific Crest/Tahoe Rim Trail, Sierra Nevada (California): 3 days/2 nights; 7,390 to 9,010 ft (2,252 to 2,746 m); 50 to 85 F (10 to 29 C). The mosquito conditions were typically heavy at dusk but only a problem in wet areas during the daytime.

The Outdoor Research BugAway Headnet worked well for keeping those pesky mosquitoes away from my face and neck. It fit easily over various hats and also fit fine without any hat on at all. I preferred to use it with a hat to help hold it away from my forehead.

The spring ring holds the netting out away form my face and hangs down long enough to completely cover my neck. The drawstring on the bottom of the net allows me to adjust the lower opening when need to better prevent the mosquitoes from entering.

The net causes body heat to be held in and limits visibility. I found myself not wanting to use it in warm conditions unless the mosquitoes were really bothering me. Of course warm conditions are when the mosquitoes are out in full force, so I did find the usefulness to be limited. When I did use it, it definitely worked. I carry it only when I know that mosquito activity is going to be heavy.

I stored the net with it tucked into the pocket in the crown. It stuffed easily into my backpack. I never took particular care to protect the headnet while in my pack but the spring ring did not get distorted at all. The durability seems good; the headnet still appears as new.

The Outdoor Research BugAway Headnet was very effective in keeping mosquitoes away from my face and neck. It holds in heat which limited the amount of times that I chose to use it.

Keeps mosquitoes away from my face
Fits with or without a hat
Length of net is adequate to cover my neck
Not having to use as much insect repellent

Netting holds in body heat
Netting affects vision

Nancy Griffith

This report was created with the Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Outdoor Research gear
Read more gear reviews by Nancy Griffith

Product tested and reviewed in each Formal Test Report has been provided free of charge by the manufacturer to Upon completion of the Test Series the writer is permitted to keep the product. Owner Reviews are based on product owned by the reviewer personally unless otherwise noted.

All material on this site is the exclusive property of