Reviews > Clothing > Hats > Sunday Afternoons Charter hat > Test Report by Kurt Papke

Sunday Afternoons Charter Hat

Name: Kurt Papke
Gender: Male
Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
Weight: 215 lbs (98 kg)
Email address: kwpapke at gmail dot com
City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona USA

My backpacking venues have included a combination of Minnesota hikes where I have lived most of my adult life, and Arizona trails where I moved to take a new job about five years ago.  I have always been a "comfort-weight" backpacker, never counting grams, but still keeping my pack as light as easily attained.  Since moving to Arizona I find I need to wear a hat on all my hikes to protect me from the sun.  I'm always on the lookout for a hat that keeps me cool, stays on my head, and keeps me from getting sunburned on my lips, ears, or the back of my neck.

Product Information

Large/X-Large
Also available: Medium/Large
Fabric
100% nylon

The Charter hat is designed for sun protection.  It is very lightweight, making it ideal for warm climates like Arizona.  Manufacturer's listed features include:
  • Wide foam-core brim
  • Packs flat for storage/travel
  • UPF 50+ rating for sun protection, UPF 40+ on ventilated top crown mesh
  • Water-repellant
  • Wicking sweatband with adjustable sizing
  • Interior crown storage pocket
  • Chin strap (adjustable)

Trying It Out

Size adjustmentAfter removing from the packaging and cutting off the hang tags/labels I tried the hat on for size.  Fit seems excellent, which is something I was worried about as I have a very large cranium.  Pictured at left is the size adjustment along the sweat band, but so far it seemed good-to-go out of the box and I didn't need to make any changes.

Visible in the first photo above are small slits in the sides that are supposed to accommodate sunglasses for storage.  I've never found these to be particularly useful on hats I've used in the past as I don't find it easy to get the glasses into the slits when I can't see the top of my head, but we'll see how it goes with the Charter hat design.

This is a very lightweight hat that seems like it will vent well.  The strip of fabric between the brim and the upper mesh is almost translucent, and the mesh above that looks like it will breathe very well.

This is an attractive hat.  According to the User Guide that came with the hat I can roll up the brim for a more jaunty look, or I can loop the chinstrap over the top to give me a little Aussie flair.

The chin strap adjusts easily and stows nicely in the crown pocket.  I find I don't use these very often, but when you need one you really do need one, so I'm glad its there.

Also depicted in the photo at left is the internal sweatband.  The fabric is nice and soft, but the band does not seem like it will absorb a tremendous amount of sweat as it is quite thin.  I'm not expecting this to be a problem, I don't like a big sponge wrapped around my head, it looks like it will do just fine.

Summary

Things that I find positive at this early stage

• Comfortable fit
  • Very attractive hat, including the color
  • I like the apparent breathability and light weight - this should be a great hat for the Arizona summer

Perceived limitations at this early stage

• No real concerns up-front

Check back in two months when I've had a chance to tromp around a bit in the mountains wearing this garment and see what I have to say about it in my Field Report.

Field Report

(820-1220 m)
75-90 F
(24-32 C)
Sunny, dry
August 9-10, 2014 Santa Catalina Mountains near Tucson, Arizona Samaniego Ridge 7 miles
(11.3 km)
(1680-1920 m)
72-75 F
(22-24 F)

Romero Canyon

My first hike with the hat started early in the morning hiking up the West slope of the canyon, so I wore it in the shade at the outset.  The Charter hat has a nice light feel to it on my head.

As the sun climbed higher I appreciated the wide brim.  It kept the brutal Arizona sun off of my face and the back of my neck, though I had to tilt the hat back on my head on the descent to protect my neck.

There wasn't much wind that morning, so I never used the straps.  Overall, it was a pleasant first experience with the hat.  It was comfortable for hours at a time, including good ventilation.

Samaniego Ridge

Samaniego RidgeThis is one of my local go-to summer trails as it starts and retains a fair amount of altitude which keeps me cool.  It also has some great camping spots among the Ponderosa Pines.

The hike in on Saturday afternoon was fairly warm, around 72 F (22 C) at the trailhead, and I was hiking into the afternoon sun.  I appreciated the sun protection from the Charter hat for my eyes.

After setting up camp I struggled a little bit over where to store the hat for the night, as it is fairly light-colored and I was concerned it would show the dirt.  I ended up stashing inside my empty pack.

On the hike out the next morning I repositioned a few things in my pack and used more of the extension collar.  As I was hiking the back brim of the hat would bump into my pack.  My pack was also not adjusted perfectly symmetrically, which is somewhat visible in the photo at left.  It looks like the brim was bumping the upper right side if the extension collar.  The Charter hat has a very wide brim, which is great for sun protection, but can be an interference problem depending on backpack geometry.

The hat also does not look quite as "dapper" in the photo at left compared to the manufacturer's literature.  I am going to need to play with the shape a bit to improve the esthetics.

Romero Canyon Overnight

Charter hat in RomeroI hike Romero Canyon pretty frequently because the trailhead is just 10 minutes from my house.  Every hike is different, the prior outing was just a day hike, this one was roughly twice the distance to a campsite and an overnight stay.

The Charter Hat got a pretty good workout on this trip.  Saturday was hot and unusually humid for Tucson due to the recent monsoon rains.  The hat spent the night unprotected in a thunderstorm.  The photo at right was taken during the descent on Sunday.

The hat was none the worse for wear when I put it on Sunday morning.  It got really drenched, but dried out quickly and I didn't really feel any dampness while wearing it.

I continue to experience the back of the brim bumping my backpack on occasion.  Nothing serious, just a bit of a distraction.

Ramsey Canyon

Charter Hat in Ramsey CanyonThis was just a day hike through a Nature Conservancy wildlife preserve.  Its at a bit of altitude above the desert floor, so the weather was quite comfortable if a little sticky.

The photo at left shows the Charter hat shaped to look a bit more dapper.  It also demonstrates my sunglasses properly stowed in the provided slits along the exterior of the sweatband.  It took me a few attempts to be able to insert my glasses into the slits without actually being able to see what I was doing, but I think I've got the hang of it now.

Summary

The Charter hat has proven to be a useful and comfortable piece of gear.  It keeps my head cool and protected from the sun and holds up well in the elements.  the only gripe I have with it is the back brim bumping against the extension collar of my pack, which any wide-brimmed hat would do.  The hat is attractive if properly shaped when wearing - if allowed to flatten out it is not quite so flattering.

Thanks to Sunday Afternoons and Backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity to contribute to this test.

Read more reviews of Sunday Afternoons gear