Reviews > Clothing > Hats > Sunday Afternoons Charter hat > Test Report by jerry adams

SUNDAY AFTERNOONS CHARTER HAT
TEST SERIES BY JERRY ADAMS

INITIAL REPORT - June 30, 2014

NAME: Jerry Adams
EMAIL: jerryaadamsatyahoodotcom
LOCATION: Portland, Oregon, USA
GENDER: m

I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 1 to 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter). Mostly I stay in the Western half of Oregon and Washington. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 12 lb (6 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack.

Manufacturer: Sunday Afternoons
Year of Manufacture: 2014
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.sundayafternoons.com
MSRP: US$49
Listed Weight: 3.6 oz (102 g)
Measured Weight: 3.5 oz (99 g) for size L

The Sunday Afternoons Charter hat is a functional, lightweight, sun protective hat intended for outdoor use.

I think it's a Fedora style of hat. A bit more stylish than the average outdoor hat. I think it would be best as an outdoor hat but would also look good in the city. I'll just be using it hiking.

It has a 3" (76 mm) brim with a foam core to keep it's shape. There's a spiral pattern of stitches through outer fabric/foam core/inner fabric to keep it together. There's about 10 rows of stitches total. The fabric underneath the brim is a darker color to reduce reflections.

It is UPF 50+ sun protection rated with a top crown ventilated mesh with UPF 40+. It's a light color (cream/sand) to minimize absorption of sunlight to stay cooler.

It has a wicking sweatband inside. There's an adjustable strap to adjust the size to my head. There are Men and Women's size M, L. I got the size L. There's a hidden pocket inside that's closed with velcro.

There are these slits on the sides, at the bottom, adjacent to the brim. I could put the arms of my glasses through these slits so I can put my glasses there if I didn't want to wear them. I would never do that because I'm very near sighted. I tried it just a little, but the arms of my glasses bend down so they don't really fit, and I have to open them up a lot and I'm afraid they'll break. If I liked to put my glasses there it would be a useful feature. I think I've seen other people do that before.

It packs flat for travel. There's a pocket inside with velcro to keep it closed. There's a chinstrap.

It's designed in USA, made in Vietnam.

It's made with nylon that's water and stain resistant.

Top of hat:

The breathable mesh is at the top. There's some foam there to provide the sun protection. I think with the foam and the small size it's not going to provide much ventilation. I'll be wearing the hat in the sun and when it's hot so I'll find out how comfortable it is overall.

There's a small "Sunday Afternoons" label. I don't really like advertisements on my clothes but this is pretty discrete.

There's a binding strip of fabric around the edge of the brim with a wire inside to hide the raw edge of the brim and maintain it's shape. The directions said to bend the wire to give it a curved shape, which I tried a little.

One of the slits to put arm of glasses through is on the left.

Bottom:

The adjustment strap is at the rear and the chinstrap is below. The chinstrap is made of narrow (3/16 inch/5 mm) nylon webbing that's not stretchy. There's a toggle to adjust the length. The chinstrap webbing is sewed to the hat. I usually don't like chinstraps and remove them. I'd have to cut this one off. I'll just use it as is. I might cut it off after the test is over.

Under the brim is only slightly darker than the outside fabric. It would be better if it was darker, to reduce reflections, but that's not too bad.

The Charter hat is very well made. All the stitches are good. All the rows of stitches are parallel and perpendicular. The shape is uniform and symmetric and so forth.

I adjusted chinstrap so it fits good. It feels good on my head.

I read the instructions and they said that if you don't want to use the chinstrap, just put it in the hidden pocket. I tried that and it works pretty good. Maybe I won't have to cut off the chinstraps at the end of the test.

SUMMARY

The Sunday Afternoons Charter hat is a nylon hat with wide brim for hiking. It's fairly stylish so it would be good in the city also.

It's light weight (3.5 oz/99 g).

It has a 3 inch (76 mm) brim all the way around.

It has a chinstrap.

It provides UPF 40 or 50 sun protection.

There's a hidden pocket to hide some money or credit card.

I'll be using this hat on about 2 backpacking trips in each of the Field Report and Long Term Report periods. This will be summer so I will test sun protection and heat tolerance.

Look forward to my Field Report in about 2 months.

Thanks to Sunday Afternoons and BackpackGearTest.org for letting me test this.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Sunday Afternoons gear
Read more gear reviews by jerry adams