Reviews > Clothing > Hats > Tilley Endurables TTC2 Tec-Cork Hat > Test Report by Derek Hansen

pix-product-shot

Weight170 lb (77 kg)
Email Address pix-obfuscated
City, State, CountryFlagstaff, Arizona, USA

BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), each of which includes food and water. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Manufacturer Canada
Year of Manufacture 2013
Manufacturer’s Website tilley.com
MSRP US$105
Listed Features
  • Guaranteed for life not to wear out
  • Insured against loss
  • Excellent sun protection, rated UPF 50+
  • Exterior is lightweight wool
  • Interior corkshell(tm) laminate is lightweight with excellent thermal insulation
  • corkshell(tm) fabric is manufactured by Schoeller(r) Switzerland
  • Unique tuckaway earwarmers
  • Treated for rain and snow repellency
  • Secret pocket
  • 4-page Owner's Manual
  • Crushable and packable
  • Medium Brim
Manufacturer Recommendations
  • Dry clean only
Measurements
Specifications What They Say What I Say
Weight 4.8 oz (136 g) 4.6 oz (130 g)
Colors Black/Grey Check
Accessories User manual; secret stash pocket; adjustable/removable wicking brim

16 Dec 2013

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The Tilley TTC2 'Tec-Cork' Hat (just Tilley or hat for short) is designed for winter wear with tucked-away ear warmers, wool-blend fabric designed to repel rain and snow, and infused with a "cork granulate" for insulation. The hat has a fedora style with a medium-width brim. The hat also has a high UPF rating (50+) for excellent sun protection.

pix-secretpocket pix-white-plastic-thing

Inside, at the top of the hat is a small pocket with a hook-and-loop closure. There is also a removable "size-adjustment device" or sweat band that uses hook-and-loop and fixes to the back of the hat. This microfiber band allows me to slightly tighten or loosen the hat rim for a better fit by removing it or keeping it in.

pix-adjustable-rim

Tilley also includes an amazing guarantee, protecting the hat for life against wear.

This is the second Tilley hat I've owned and I am very impressed with the construction and materials used. These truly are well-made. The hat is very stylish, garnering unsolicited praise from my wife. I've never been one to "dress-up" for looks or show when backpacking, preferring function over form; however, the Tilley hat has both excellent looks and great features. I'm happy.

pix-hat-no-ears

Sizing the hat is straightforward. The Tilley website instructs how to get the perfect fit. I used a flexible measuring tape around my head, keeping the tape on my eyebrows and straight around my head. I don't normally buy fitted hats, so this process (and the results) often worries me.

pix-hat-with-ears

Upon receiving the hat, it felt it might be a little tight. When I removed the "size-adjustment device" it fit much better and felt better. The ear warmer wraps around the back of my head and covers just below the nape of my neck. The ear wrap tucks away quickly and folds easily inside the hat and covers the secret pocket (I stored the "size-adjustment device" in the secret pocket for now).

Inside the secret pocket I noticed there is a white foam piece fitted inside. I wasn't sure if I was to leave that in or remove it. I'm leaving it in for now until I can figure that out. This hat is suppose to be "crushable and packable", which would lead me to believe I should remove this foam piece, but I'm not 100% sure.

I am a little wary of the "crushable" part. This is such a nice-looking hat that I'm worried about ruining something. I can feel some type of stiffener on the outer edge of the brim -- is it plastic? Maybe metal? I really don't want to bend or break it, but in the spirit of testing, I will pack the hat in my backpack on occasion, so I'll see how it holds up (although, I honestly do not want to ruin such a nice-looking hat).

INITIAL SUMMARY

I feel very "grown up" wearing this hat. I'm sure it will have a profound affect upon my personality. I'm already feeling I need a revolver and a bull whip strapped to my hip.

PRO—Wonderful style. Warm. Convertible. Very comfortable fabric.

CON—None.

I would like to thank Tilley and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.

Read more reviews of Tilley gear
Read more gear reviews by Derek Hansen