Reviews > Clothing > Jackets > Adidas Outdoors Terrex SkyClimb Jacket > Test Report by Kurt Papke

Adidas Terrex Skyclimb Jacket

Test Series by Kurt Papke

Initial Report - October 14, 2017

Tester Information

Name: Kurt Papke
Gender: Male
Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
Weight: 225 lbs (102 kg)
Email address: kwpapke at gmail dot com
City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona USA

My backpacking venues have mostly been a combination of Minnesota, where I have lived most of my adult life, and Arizona since 2009.  I have always been a "comfort-weight" backpacker, never counting grams, but still keeping my pack as light as easily attained.  Since moving to Arizona, I find a lightweight fleece to be a must-carry item, particularly during the shoulder seasons.

What I expect from a light fleece jacket is: keep the wind off, provide a fair amount of warmth for hiking on cool days (though I always wear base/mid-layers beneath in the evenings), and be as light and compact as possible.  I expect some protection from brief rain or snow showers, the more the better, but I don't expect this to be a rain jacket.

Product Information

I will refer in the rest of this report to the Adidas Terrex Skyclimb as "the jacket".  It is a lightweight, zippered front, hooded garment with a thin layer of "waffle" fleece insulation, and Pertex Equilibrium face fabric in the front.  The materials of the jacket are quite high-tech: Pertex Equilibrium has very good water resistance for its weight, and good breathability.

as01In the photo at left, I held the jacket up in the sunlight to see the difference between the Pertex and non-Pertex protected parts of the jacket.  The lighter panels on the left are non-Pertex, the darker panels on the right are Pertex.  The protected portions include the chest, shoulders and sleeves.  The hood is not protected.  Note that the same waffle insulation carries throughout the jacket, it is only the outer shell that changes.

as02In the photo at left the detail of the waffle insulation is clearly visible.  This fleece is soft to the touch, and the pattern should do a good job of wicking moisture.

Manufacturer: Adidas AG
MSRP:
$99 USD
Color tested:
"Clear Onix": off-white/light grey
Also available in "Energy" (orange), and "Green Night"
Weight:
Listed: 13.5 oz (383 g)
Measured:  12.9 oz (366 g) with the hang tags and care instructions label removed
Size:
XL (tested), also available in S, M, L, 2XL
Warranty:
30 days from purchase date
Materials:
Main material: 94% recycled polyester, 6% elastane
Overlay: 100% polyester

The features listed by the manufacturer include:
  • Two front zip hand pockets.
  • Fitted hood
  • DWR finish
  • Elastic hem
  • Stretch: there is elastane in the hood and sleeves, which makes them stretchy

Other observed features:

• Full zip; High collar for coverage.
  • Elastic cuffs

Initial Inspection

as03After removal from the packaging I visually inspected the garment for manufacturing defects and found none.  The fabric caught my attention with its softness as soon as I picked it up, and I thought it was an extremely attractive garment.  It has a very light feel.

I tried it on and it fit perfectly, a challenge for me as I have a very long torso.  All the zippers worked easily.  I was surprised at the immediate feeling of warmth with the jacket on - the fleece insulation is not very thick, but adds a surprising amount of warmth.

The fit is not bulky for an XL, as can be seen in the photo at left.  When garments area available in Tall sizes, I will typically buy a LT (large tall), but this jacket seems to be sized for reasonably fit people, so the XL fits me perfectly.  Even the sleeve length is spot on.

Summary

I am looking forward to getting the garment into the backcountry and seeing how it performs under field conditions.  I tested the Adidas Terrex Windshirt last summer, and this garment looks very similar, but has quite a bit more insulation.  I'll be interested to see if the jacket provides enough insulation/warmth to be able to leave an insulation layer behind.  It weighs more than a wind shirt/shell, and I'd like to leave something out of my pack to compensate for the extra weight.

Things I Like So Far:

• Lightweight.
  • Great fit.
  • Feels good against my skin.
  • Attractive.
  • Seems to provide a fair amount of warmth.
  • Insulated hood - should allow me to leave my beanie behind for keeping my head warm at night.

Things That Concern Me Upfront:

• The zippers were a real issue with the Adidas Windshirt - I will be noting how often these catch on the trim to see if the Skyclimb has a similar problem.

Thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and Adidas for the opportunity to contribute to this test.

Read more reviews of Adidas gear
Read more gear reviews by Kurt Papke