Reviews > Clothing > Jackets > Craghoppers Compresslite II Jacket > Test Report by Jenna Steffensen

Compresslite II Jacket

Test Series by Jenna Steffensen
Initial Report: November 28, 2017
Field Report: February 4, 2018

Reviewer Information

Name:  Jenna Steffensen
Gender: Female
Height: 5' 5" (1.65 Meters)
Weight: 140 Pounds (64 Kilograms)
Email address: jennasteffensen ATgmailDOTcom
Location: Fernie, British Columbia, Canada

Backpacking Background

I recently started backpacking after moving to the Canadian Rockies last fall. I have been on two short (3-day) backpacking trips but I am very experienced in day hikes and car camping. I’ve hiked mainly in the Utah desert and Canadian Rockies. I still have many trips planned this year in the Rockies (smoke dependent!). I’m looking for the best gear that’s light and durable enough for the Rockies. My current set up is a 2-person tent, a white gas backpacking stove to cook, gravity filters, and hefty trail boots.

November 28, 2017

Product Information

Manufacturer: Craghoppers
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Manufacturer's Website:

Jacket Specifications
Material: 100% polyester
Listed Weight: 375 g (13.23 oz)

Measured Weight: 382 g (13.47 oz)
Colour Tested: Black (Also available in Dawn Red and Night Blue)
Size Tested: S/6 (Also available in UK size 8-20)

Product Description

The Craghoppers Compresslite II Jacket is a synthetic down jacket made from 100% polyester with insulating properties comparable to natural down. The jacket has an insulated hood and elastic cuffs. The jacket features an uncovered zipper with a nice pull that says Craghoppers. These pulls can also be found on the pockets on either side of the jacket. The pockets are lined on one side with fleece. The jacket has one small rubber logo on the exterior left chest that says Craghoppers and one small tag below the right pocket that says National Geographic. On the interior of the jacket there is a stamped logo at the neck as well as a sewn in patch featuring National Geographic. There is also a wash label on the interior by the hip. There are button snap loops on the interior by the hip and my guess is they are for securing to pant loops. The waist has an adjustable hem. The jacket comes with its own stuff-sack and provides these details printed on it: lightweight, windproof, thermal, water resistant, downproof, security pockets. Craghoppers included their own scale of warmth rating on a tag with the jacket. This jacket received a 4 out of 7, indicating it is insulated for warmth and comfort.

Initial Impressions:

This jacket is super comfortable to wear all day. I have worn it the past week around town and at home. When I am out in the cold it keeps me warm and when I come inside I am not too hot with it on. The fit is really nice as it is not a big, bulky jacket. It fits pretty slim but still big enough for some layers underneath. The hood is a nice feature to have for those brisk temperature days. It stays on my head fairly well unless there is a strong wind. The jacket is super light and extremely packable. It took me less than 30 seconds to pack it into the provided stuff-sack. I would say this is a good mid layer for the winter or light jacket for the spring and fall.

Wash Instructions:

Wash with dark colours separately and do not bleach. Can be put in the dryer on low tumble dry. Do not dry clean or iron or wring the jacket. Make sure to fasten the zippers during washing.

Field Report
February 4, 2018

Trip 1: Day Hike (snowshoe)
Location: Montane Hut, Castle Mountain, Fernie, British Columbia
Distance: 5.6 km (3.5 mi) with 115 m (377 ft) elevation gain

Weather: Overcast but warm
Temperature: -3 C (27 F)4
Conditions: well packed snow on trail

Trip 2: Day Hike (snowshoe)
Castle Mountain, Fernie, British Columbia
5 km (3.1 mi) with 1610 m (5282 ft) elevation gain
Sunny and freezing cold
-25 C (-13 F)
Fairly loose snow on trail

Trip 3: Day Hike (snowshoe)
Coal Creek Heritage Trail, Fernie, British Columbia
15.5 km (9.6 mi) with 200 m (656 ft) elevation gain
Partially cloudy
-5 C (23 F)
Well packed snow for most of the trail, loose snow on remainding

Trip 4: Day Hike
Fairy Creek, Fernie, BC
4.7 km (2,9 mi) with 120 m (394 ft) elevation gain
-1 C (30 F)
Well packed snow on trail

Performance in the Field: The Craghoppers Compresslite II Jacket is super comfortable. It has become my go to jacket since arriving and I wear it almost every day. It's not a heavy jacket compared to my other down jackets so if my home or work is a little chilly keeping it on inside is as comfortable as wearing a sweater. I found it to be a great size as it can act as a top layer or a mid layer depending on how cold it is. I really love that is has zippered pockets so I can make sure none of my valuables fall out while hiking. The pockets also surprisingly fit a lot of stuff and at one point I had small gloves, my phone, and keys all in one pocket and it didn't feel bulgy.

On hikes where the weather was a little warmer I would wear a base layer underneath the jacket. If I got too hot on the climb up I would unzip the jacket and that would cool me down enough. One day was a fairly windy day and I was worried I didn't wear enough layers for my hike. The jacket held up though and kept the wind out and kept me warm.

On a really cold hike up Castle Mountain I wore a base layer underneath and I opted to use the jacket as a mid layer and wear a shell over the jacket. With windchill the temperature was around - 30 C (-22 F) but my body was very warm! I even took off my top layer on the way up and was just fine in a base layer with the Compresslite II Jacket overtop. It was really windy at the top of the mountain so I put the hood on. The shell that I was wearing has a massive hood that just blows off but the Compresslite II Jacket's hood stayed put really well when the jacket was zipped all the way up.

The Jacket looks to be pretty durable to my eye. There are no snags or loose threads. I have worn the jacket quite a lot from being on construction sites to hiking through the bush. I have not washed the jacket yet but it doesn't smell even though I have sweat in it.

Quick Shots: Super light, very warm, deep pockets, great for layering

To Be Determined: Washability, Multi-day hikes if avalanche conditions are good!

Thank you to Craghoppers and for allowing me to test the Compresslite II Jacket.

Read more reviews of Craghoppers Ltd gear
Read more gear reviews by Jenna Steffensen

Product tested and reviewed in each Formal Test Report has been provided free of charge by the manufacturer to Upon completion of the Test Series the writer is permitted to keep the product. Owner Reviews are based on product owned by the reviewer personally unless otherwise noted.

All material on this site is the exclusive property of