Reviews > Clothing > Jackets > Craghoppers Compresslite II Jacket > Test Report by Nancy Griffith

CRAGHOPPERS COMPRESSLITE II JACKET
TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
October 15, 2017

NAME: Nancy Griffith
EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
LOCATION: Northern California, USA
GENDER: F

My outdoor experience began in high school with a canoeing/camping group which made a 10-day voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania. I have hiked all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a few weeks long. Over the past few years I have lowered my pack weight to a lightweight base weight of 15 lb (6.8 kg) while still using a tent, stove and quilt.

FrontBackManufacturer: Craghoppers Ltd.
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.craghoppers.com
MSRP: $85 US

Listed Weight: Not Listed
Measured Weight: 14.9 oz (422 g)

Size Tested: 8 Women's
Other Sizes Available: 4 through 16

Color Tested: Black
No other colors available

Made in China

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

cuffshemThe Craghoppers Compresslite II Jacket is a synthetic-fill insulated jacket that is lightweight and compressible. It is designed to be a compact layer that is lightweight yet warm. The synthetic insulation is ClimaPlus which is 100% polyester hollow fiber fill. The synthetic is supposed to retain loft after being stuffed into the stow sack. The jacket has a water-repellent surface, is wind-resistant and is claimed to be quick-drying.

There is a hang-tag that gives the warmth a rating of 4 on a scale from 1 to 7 and is described as being insulated for warmth and comfort.

The one-way front zipper has a stormflap along the full length of the front zipper and a zipper garage at the top. There is also a large looped pull for easy grasp of the zipper when wearing gloves. There are two hand-warmer pockets with zippers that are similar to the front zipper with the large looped pulls. The front halves of the pockets are lined with a fine fleece for a cozy feel.

The bottom hem of the jacket extends down to provide good rear coverage. The hem has a drawcord which is adjustable from either the right or left side at the inside hem. The cuffs are a narrow elastic band allowing for insulation all of the way down the sleeves.

The hood is completely insulated with no visor nor adjustment to tighten it around the face or head.

There is a hang loop on the inside of the jacket at the collar.

A stow sack is included which has a drawstring closure and cord lock.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS & TRYING IT OUT

stuff sack
stow sack included
stuffed sizeMy initial impression was that the jacket was larger than I expected. It is puffy and came in a fairly large box. However, the stuff sack is small and the jacket stuffed into it quite easily. I typically wear jackets with down insulation so I was expecting a little larger and less compact jacket than down, but this jacket is still quite noticeably larger and heavier than what I expected. Overall I found the jacket to be very much like it is shown on the website.

The fit is roomy with plenty of space for multiple layers underneath. When I put it on I could immediately feel the warmth of the insulation and loved the cozy comfort. It was quite cold in the house, so the jacket provided a nice amount of warmth without feeling restrictive to my movements.

The hood doesn't have any adjustment but the fit is snug around the face when the zipper is completely zipped up. I'm interested to see how well this works on the trail; whether the hood wants to blow off in the wind and snow or slip around while I'm sleeping in the tent.

I don't usually wear my down jacket while hiking for fear of any sweat making it wet and less insulated. While I don't expect to get this synthetic jacket wet, I would like to test out its warmth while wet or damp.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

Washing instructions say to wash dark colors separately. No bleach, dry cleaning, ironing, fabric softeners or wringing. Zippers are to be fastened prior to washing. Tumble drying is to be on a low setting.

I'm used to down insulation that requires a special detergent for washing and is an entire process to clean our jackets. It will be interesting to see how easy it is to wash this synthetic jacket.

SUMMARY

The Craghoppers Compresslite II Jacket is a synthetic-fill insulated jacket that is compact, lightweight and warm.

Initial Likes:
Comfortable warmth
Roomy enough for layers
Synthetic (good if wet)
Lightweight

Initial Concerns:
Will it compress enough for the warmth it provides?
Does the non-adjustable hood work well?

This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in two months to see how the jacket is performing in the field. Thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and Craghoppers for the opportunity to test out this jacket.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Craghoppers Ltd gear