Reviews > Clothing > Jackets > Craghoppers Compresslite II Jacket > Test Report by joe schaffer

Craghoppers CompressLite II Jacket

CHEST: 40 in (102 cm)
WAIST: 34 in (86 cm)
SLEEVE: 30 in (76 cm)
HOME:  Bay Area, California USA

I enjoy California's central Sierras, camping every month with a goal to match my age in nights out each year. For comfort I lug tent, mattress, chair and such. Typical summer trips run 5-8 days; 40 lb (18 kg), about half food and water related; about 5 miles (8 km) per hiking day in the bright and sunny granite in and around Yosemite. I winter base camp most often at 6,000 to 7,000 ft (1,800 to 2,000 m); 2 to 3 nights; 50 lb (23 kg); a mile or so (1.6 km) on snowshoes.

Product: jacket frontCompressLite II Jacket

Manufacturer: Craghoppers, Ltd.
    Website: http://www.craghoppers.com
        no specs or features listed

Hang tag:
       warmth rating 4 (of 7)
       wash & wear

Colors: Black

My Specs:
        Weight (inc. stuff sack):  19 1/8 oz (543 g)
        Dimensions:
             Hood-to-hem: 40 in (102 cm)
             Hem circumference: 49 in (124 cm)
             Sleeve: 33 in (84 cm)
             Tail drop: 1 3/4 in (5 cm)
        Stuffed: 5 x 10 in (13 x 25 cm)

MSRP: $85 US

Received: Men's XL, Black, October 12, 2017

My Description:
   The jacket is a synthetic quilted, hooded top layer with two zippered external side pockets. Hood has no drawstring. Zipper has no cover. Sleeves have elastic cuffs, not adjustable. Hem has a slight tail drop and cord-lock adjusters each side, with elastic cord. Each side of the jacket near the hem has a snap-loop inside, the purpose of which my wee brain cannot divine. Stuff sack has cord-lock closure with elastic cord.

Impressions:
    FIT: The website's size button for this product didn't work. Given the number of sizes available I took a guess. I'm never an XL, but that's what I ordered and it fits decently, though not great.
    Sleeves are a little long, which is often the case for me when the shoulders are right. Too-long sleeves is a good thing in wind, so I'll not be critical of this as a fit issue. Cuffs do not close tightly, which would cause me irritation.
    Shoulder movement is unrestricted. I would not want this dimension smaller.
    It's a little loose around the midriff bulge, but just right at the hip.
    The hood seems large, but may well accommodate a sock hat underneath. With no drawstring, I'll be testing for whether it stays in place or blows off or slops over in my eyes.

FILL: It is what it is, but seems appropriate to note user preference. I prefer synthetic fill (when I'm likely to get wetter than tolerable in a wool shirt). Down breathes better and is lighter and smaller. But down is dead weight wet and takes forever to dry until it can be worn again. I never carry down clothing. I'm happy to be testing the comfort claims of this hollow-core synthetic fiber. I'm certainly satisfied with the comfort, weight and bulk of this garment if it lives up to product claims when in the outback.
  stuffed
    COMFORT: I wore it in a 67 F (19 C) house for several hours after getting it. I felt remarkably comfortable with a long sleeve cotton tee underneath. Next day I wore it indoors over a long sleeve cotton hoodie and short sleeve cotton tee. I expected to get too warm and probably dampish, but it only felt good the whole time. I'm looking forward to getting in the wind and wet (did I really say that!) to see how it feels then. I'm surprised I can wear this jacket inside and remain comfortable.

WEIGHT: This may be the lightest hooded jacket I have that is warm, breathable, water resistant and windproof--if it tests as such.

COMPRESSIBILITY: A green little tag on the right pocket directed my attention to the stuff sack inside. I'd rather it stuff into a pocket than a separate sack. I worked a bit at getting the jacket to fit in the sack. I'm not good at keeping hold of stuff sacks; and where the explicit priority is to get light, I'd think a strategy that eliminates a separate stuff sack would be a forethought. Given that it stuffs about half-again as big as a Nalgene bottle, I'll rate it as impressively small, re-evaluating for field performance.

POCKETS: Two zippered pockets are appropriately placed for me and large enough I can get a big fat gloved hand stuffed in.The front side of the pocket is lined with fleece, which feels better than the 'hard' nylon back side and doesn't seem as prone to snagging.

ZIPPERS: The front zipper is not covered, though it looks pretty tight. It has a finger loop attached to the pull. The side pocket zippers are not exposed and have finger loops. Zippers work smoothly.

CORD-LOCK ADJUSTMENT: I'm not keen to having loops of cord sticking out each side of the jacket when I tighten the hem. The elastic cord seems like a good idea, but lacks enough strength to hold well.

STUFF SACK: The elastic cord on the stuff sack does not have strength to pull the sack shut. This is partly due to the sack being a little too small to suit me--I don't like mashing insulated products to their smallest possible increment. The sack lists downproof among the product attributes. It may well be, but as there is no down in the garment, this claim causes me to believe the stuff sack was tossed in as an afterthought, having forgotten to design a (yes, really big) pocket to hold the jacket. I'm not going to be able to keep the sack from pulling out with a wet glove, and I don't like having to chase stuff down in the wind. I've probably done about all the testing I'm going to do on the sack.

Quick shots:

a) light
    b) packable
    c) breathable
    d) not a great fit

Thank you Craghoppers, Ltd., and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product. Field Report to follow in two months and Long Term Report in four.

Read more reviews of Craghoppers Ltd gear
Read more gear reviews by joe schaffer