Reviews > Clothing > Jackets > MontBell Trail Action Parka > Test Report by Jamie DeBenedetto

MontBell Trail Action Parka

Background/Experience

Me and the Saguaro

Age and Gender

40 year old female

I spent many hours of my youth fishing, rafting, creeking, and day-hiking in the wild places of Arizona. I caught the backpacking bug in high school. Presently I work as an exPAWdition leader so I'm in the field, usually with a pack of dogs, about twenty times a month. Primarily I'm a day-hiker with the occasional family camping trip mixed in throughout the year. When backpacking I prefer hammocks over ground sleeping and I gravitate toward multifunctional gear that enhances my comfort level with minimal fuss and weight. My total pack weight is typically less than 25 lbs (11 kg).

Location The Grand Canyon State - Phoenix, Arizona USA

Thailand

MSRP

$79.00 (US dollars)

Size and Color Options

Small - XLarge; Black, Ivory, and Crimson Vista (I'm testing an XL CrimsonVista one)

Care Instructions

Machine washable, line dry in the shade

(Listed Specifications - Taken from the included product tag and catalog)

Weight 13.1 oz / 371 g (Size M)
Back Length 24.4 in / 62 cm (Size M)
Sleeve Length 34 in / 86.5 cm (Size XL)
Material ClimaPlus Stretch Fleece - 95% Polyester, 5% Polyurethane

(Observations as Received - Measured weights taken with a digital office scale)

Weight 16 oz / 454 g (Size XL)
Back Length 27 in / 68.5 cm (Size XL)
Sleeve Length 35 in / 89 cm (Size XL)

It's a hoodie!Product Description Back to contents Inside top load pockets

The MontBell Trail Action Parka is a hooded, full front-zip soft shell jacket. It comes in both men's and women's options. It's made of a trademarked polyester blend called ClimaPlus that is supposed to allow for breathability and stretch. The exterior of the jacket has more of a jersey feel while the interior is more traditional brushed fleece. There are two zippered side pockets, two interior pockets (pictured on the right) and one zippered Napoleon style pocket on the left breast. All zippers have pull tabs except the Napoleon. The hood is form fitting, fully covering all but my eyes and nose when the zipper is drawn up all the way. The stretchy material keeps it close to my head, no draw cord needed. All seams are flat, the bottom hem is open and the sleeves do not have thumb holes.

Arrival Condition and Informational Material Back to contents

The Trail Action Parka arrived in mid-December in perfect condition. I found no defects in the material or workmanship. Short of taking it out of the bag and snipping off the hang tags, it was totally ready to go, if you're the sort who doesn't mind wearing an unlaundered garment.

Informational material consisted of two small hang tags: the first offered details about the ClimaPlus fabric, the other gave general specs like size, color, and manufacturer contact info etc. MontBell also included their latest Fall & Winter Catalog, which gave some additional information about the Parka on page 28.

Expectations and First Impressions Back to contents

The write up in the MontBell catalog states, "The Trail Action Parka provides great breathability and exceptional freedom of movement." I would say this pretty much sums up my expectations of this hoodie. The ClimaPlus fleece looks and feels much different than other fleece I've worn and I'm looking forward to seeing how well it stacks up. Obviously I can't speak to the breathability of the fabric yet but having worn the jacket for a bit already it does certainly show promise in the areas of comfort and function.

I chose the XL, although I'm probably closer to the Large in dimensions, because I usually have a hard time finding sleeves long enough for my arms in women's clothing. The XL is a little roomy in the torso and I have a tad extra in the sleeve length but I really like the fit. I prefer a looser fit in outdoor wear because it gives me the option to layer underneath. I'm very pleased with the parka so far. The inside is super soft and the outside has a sporty modern look. The color is nice too, much more purple than what I was expecting with the color name having the word "crimson" in it.

Back to contents

Field Report
April 10th, 2014

Field Tests Back to contents

I've used the MontBell Trail Action Parka on six day hikes and one overnight fishing trip in addition to near daily wear around town. Day hikes took place on various Sonoran Desert trails within the Phoenix Mountains Preserve (elev. abt 1,500 ft / 460 m) in Phoenix, Arizona and several riparian trails near the town of Cave Creek, AZ (elev. abt 2,300 ft / 700 m). Weather ranged from rainy and windy to cool and clear with temperatures in the 45-55 F / 7-13 C range. The two-day fishing trip took place at Goldwater Lake near Prescott, AZ. Goldwater is set in the mountains above the town at an elevation of 6,000 ft / 1,830 m. On the first day we experienced continuously windy conditions with gusts up to 25 mph / 40 kph. Temperatures ranged between 33-55 F / 0.5-13 C.

Let me start by saying I am completely sold on the MontBell Trail Action Parka. I've practically lived in it off trail, wearing it for several hours a day every since it arrived until just last night while watching my son's baseball game. It is wonderfully comfortable. The brushed fleece lining is so snuggly and warm, the parka quickly replaced the old cotton hoodie I've worn on nippy days for years. The big bummer is that it was simply too warm to wear while exercising on most of my trips. I've started well over forty hikes with it on and within the first twenty minutes had to stuff it into my pack for the duration of my trek. The outings I've listed above are ones where I wore the parka for my entire excursion.

On trail it's just as comfortable. The more athletic cut kept it from feeling bulky under my pack. The hood wasn't in the way, the pockets were still usable with some adjustment around my hipbelt and my sleeves didn't ride up. The chest pocket was a little difficult to get to with a sternum strap in use but that's so trivial it's hardly worth mentioning. I've no complaints whatsoever about the fit when worn with a day pack.

Because I've worn the jacket so much I've had to wash it several times already. I feel like the launderings haven't affected the color or the fit. It's quite easy to care for since its machine washable. It does take a really long time (more than 5 hrs) to air dry, however, which is the preferred method per the care instructions. To be fair, all line drying took place on winter days so I would imagine warmer conditions will no doubt cut the drying time down. I'll check that out during the long-term phase of this test.

As far as functionality, the hoodie style has been a wonderful asset. I've needed to use the hood several times, especially during the windy and or wet hikes, and I was happy to have it. It's super helpful to have a head and neck covering on my person without having to carry something extra. The snug fit of the hood, while not overly flattering in my opinion, does allow for decent peripheral vision while still providing coverage from the elements. The stretchy material accommodated both a ball cap and my ponytail without changing the fit. (I'm wearing it this way in the picture below) The chin guard is made from the same brushed fleece as the rest of the interior lining and although it is soft, I'd like it to be a bit thicker. After an hour or so of wear my chin was becoming a bit sensitive to the touch of the zipper.

On one hike my family and I purposely went out into the desert during a very stormy day so I could check the performance of the ClimaPlus fabric when wet. Fleece generally has a very good track record in these conditions but I knew going in the manufacturer didn't make any water repellant claims for this particular garment. Sadly, I was underwhelmed with the MontBell Trail Action Parka's performance. We experienced a strong downpour for at least 45 minutes and another half hour of sprinkles after that. The jacket completely wet-out within that time, although the t-shirt I was wearing underneath never felt wet. As the water soaked in, the parka naturally felt much heavier and the warmth was drastically diminished. When not actively moving I would start to shiver almost right away. Given its long drying time, had I been in a situation where I was stuck in the field with only this hoodie, I've no doubt I would have been one miserably cold lady.

Conversely, the parka performed better than expected in the high winds I ran into on our fishing trip. With only a light-weight T-shirt and light-weight long-sleeve sun protection shirt on underneath, I was perfectly warm at 50 F / 10 C with strong winds, even while idle. On a later outing I discovered the jacket worked even better under a light windbreaker. In use during a thunderstorm

Pros and Cons Thus Far Back to contents

Aspects I'm pleased with…

• The stretchy fit makes the parka super comfortable
  • Sleeves are long and do not ride up
  • The hood is easy to use and works great to keep my head and neck warm
  • Interior lining is very soft and cozy
  • While moving, the parka is very warm

Aspects I'm underwhelmed with…

• The chin guard could use more padding
  • The ClimaPlus fabric didn't handle rain as well as I had hoped
  • Drying time has so far taken several hours

Not sure how many more times I'll be able to use the Trail Action Parka but I'm really enjoying it so far. Thank you MontBell and BGT for this opportunity. Please check back in approximately two months for the final installment of this test series.

Jamie DeBenedetto - 2014

Back to contents

Read more reviews of MontBell gear
Read more gear reviews by Jamie DeBenedetto