Reviews > Clothing > Jackets > Therm A Rest Honcho Poncho > Test Report by Kathleen Waters

THERM-A-REST HONCHO PONCHO

Logo
TEST SERIES BY KATHLEEN WATERS

INITIAL REPORT - November 19, 2017

NAME: Kathleen Waters
EMAIL: kathy at backpackgeartest dot com
LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
GENDER: F

Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers, rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed). Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

Manufacturer: Therm-a-rest, division of Cascade Designs, Inc.
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.thermarest.com
MSRP: US $129.95
Listed Weight: 28 oz (794 g)
Measured Weight: 26 oz (737 g)
Listed:Width: 58 in (147 cm)
Measured Width:
Listed Length: 79 in (200 cm)
Measured Length:
Listed and Packed dimension 16 in x 12 in (40 cm x 30 cm)

Sizes Available: One Size Fits All
Colors Available: Deep Purple, Lemon Curry, Poseidon
Color Tested: Poseidon
Made in China
Honcho Poncho
Picture copywrite Therm-a-rest

The Honcho Poncho arrived all tucked up into a front zippered storage pocket, looking quite like a neat comfy camp pillow. Once unzipped and spread out, the poncho morphs into a spacious outer garment.

It has a cinchable hood and a generously-sized kangaroo pocket for extra (hand) warmth.

The outer surface of the poncho is made of waterproof breathable 20D Polyester RipStop material with DWR protection. There is a soft brushed 50D Polyester Taffeta liner in the interior. Between the two layers is 9 oz (0.25 kg) fill weight of 37.5 tm insulation. The insulation is an active partical polyester which is supposed to help regulate body temperature.

Lastly, the poncho is advertised to be water-resistance.

A close inspection of the Honcho Poncho found no flaws, dropped stitches, snags or other imperfections. Very nice quality all around!

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

The care instructions for the poncho are simple: Wash in cold water with a gentle non-detergent soap in a large-capacity, front-loading washing machine on a gentle cycle with two rinses.

Turn "bag" - I'm assuming the same care tag is on Cascade Designs sleeping bags - inside out, close zipper and fasten snaps before drying in a large-capacity, front-loading dryer on low heat.

Or I could just hand wash and dry as well. No dry cleaning allowed!

The care instruction and materials tags are sewn into a side seam and very visible when wearing the poncho. I will be removing them once I've completed my final report.

TRYING IT OUT

Well, one of the good things about the Honcho Poncho being a "one size fits all" piece of clothing, is it SHOULD fit, right? I mean, while I'm usually leery about one-size clothing, this is a poncho, so really it doesn't conform to body size anyway.

Yeah, it fits me! I had no trouble pulling it over my head and using the barrel lock drawcords, I can cinch the hood closely to my head. Two sets of snaps on each side of the poncho body create armholes. I fumbled around with the snaps for a minute or two before I laid out the poncho on my bed to line up the snaps properly. Yeah, I'm "snap-challenged"!

The poncho is spacious and LONG. It's longer in the back than the front which will work well when I want to cover up a backpack.

The zipper, snaps and drawcords all perform smoothly and after a brief try-on, I'm ready to hit the trails!
Honcho Poncho at rest
Ready for Take Off!
I Can Fly!
I Can Fly!!!

SUMMARY

I'm really excited about the Therm-a-rest Honcho Poncho! While it is unseasonably warm here in Canon City, Colorado right now, I know that won't last. And until it is consistently cold, being able to throw the Poncho over whatever top I have on, hopefully, will work well.

Once the chilly weather arrives in earnest, I plan on making the Poncho, my go-to top layer when I'm backpacking, hiking and snowshoeing. Bring on the snow!

Please check back in mid-January to see how the Honcho Poncho and I are enjoying winter!

Thank you to Therm-a-rest and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to try out this fun product!

Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Therm-A-Rest gear
Read more gear reviews by Kathleen Waters