Reviews > Clothing > Jackets > Therm A Rest Honcho Poncho > Test Report by Morgan Lypka

THERM-A-REST HONCHO PONCHO

HEIGHT: 5’4” (1.6 m)
WEIGHT: 110 lb (50 kg)
EMAIL: m DOT lypka AT yahoo.com
City, Province, Country: Fernie, British Columbia (B.C.), Canada

Backpacking Background: I started backpacking 2 years ago, when I moved to the Rocky Mountains. I am originally from Saskatchewan, Canada, where I have done overnight canoe trips. Most of my backpacking ventures are 1 to 3 days long. I get cold quickly, but handle heat well. My backcountry trips involve hiking, trail running, ski touring and cross-country skiing. I am getting into kayaking, rock climbing and fly fishing. This year, I started solo camping. I camp with a lightweight 3-person, 3-season tent. Decreasing my packed weight in the backcountry is a developing focus of mine (fitting everything was the first).

PRODUCT INFORMATION AND SPECS
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Manufacturer’s Website: https://www.thermarest.com
MSRP: $129.95 USD
Listed Weight: 1 lb 12 oz (790 g)
Measured Weight:  1 lb 13 oz (816 g)
Colour Testing: Yellow Curry
Additional Colours: Poseidon, Olivine, Deep Purple
Size Testing: one size fits all
Fill: 37.5 Active Partical Polyester
Shell Fabric: Waterproof Breathable 20D Polyester RipStop w/DWR 1000mm Hydrostatic Head / 5000 MVTR
Liner Fabric: Brushed 50D Polyester Taffeta
Packed Dimension: 16 in x 12 in (40 cm x 30 cm)

DESCRIPTION
The Therm-a-Rest Honcho Poncho is part of Therm-a-Rest’s Camp & Comfort Series. It doubles as a poncho and a blanket, and has an attached bag that it folds into. It is marketed as water resistant and breathable, and has 37.5 insulation. The front of the poncho is shorter than the back, which should help for walking in the front, and warmth in the back. The poncho has a kangaroo pocket for hands on the front, with a zippered pocket to store items in the front. The attached bag for the poncho conveniently fits in this top zippered pocket. The poncho comes together by two snap buttons on either side of the body. The poncho can be turned into a blanket by undoing the snap buttons. The only piece of the poncho that doesn’t fully convert into the blanket is the hood, which hangs out on the top side of the blanket. The hood is easily cinched or loosed with elastic drawstrings on both sides.

So far a good initial impression with the poncho. It is comfortable. It’s warm! It seemed to be water resistant when I tried it with my wet shower hair dripping on it for a while. It’s a bit large. It seems like I could fit three of me in the body part. Already I’m thinking that I would appreciate there to be 2 sizes. The front of the poncho falls just below my knees, and the back of the poncho falls about mid calves. The arm spaces are quite large, and already I have snagged them on doorknobs when I’ve been reaching into my cubberts. Aside from the arms I haven’t had too much difficulty walking around in my house with it, but I can picture the bottom possibly snagging in the bush. Time will tell. The hood seems awesome, fits well and cinches properly. The buttons on the side of the body/below the arms do up easily, but seem to come undone almost a little too easily. I will test this further. I love that it comes in its own attached bag, and that it is light and packs down quite small. I like that it has pockets; useful for hands and for stowing things away (like the attached bag). It would be convenient if the hood could somehow tuck away better when it is converted into a blanket. I don’t love the idea of getting snow in the hood while I’m using it as a blanket if I’m then going to put it back on as a poncho right after.  Trialing it as a blanket, it's long enough for me and wide enough for maybe two people sleeping right side by side. It feels very lightweight as a blanket, so I'm excited to test its warmth outdoors.

poncho

SUMMARY
I’m excited to test this product in the field! I’m curious how the large size will affect my mobility in the backcountry. The hood fits well but the rest is a bit large for me. The poncho folds down nice and small and is readily portable. I’m excited to test its warmth and water resistance as a blanket.

Thank you BackpackGearTest.org and Therm-a-Rest for allowing me to trial the Honcho Poncho in the backcountry! Stay tuned for my Field Report come two months, post some snowy adventures.

Read more reviews of Therm-A-Rest gear
Read more gear reviews by Morgan Lypka