Reviews > Clothing > Pants and Shorts > Mountain Khakis Equatorial Pants > Test Report by Derek Hansen

pix-product-shot

Weight170 lb (77 kg)
Email Address pix-obfuscated
City, State, CountryFlagstaff, Arizona, USA

BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), each of which includes food and water. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Colors Willow (testing), Stone, Retro Khaki
Accessories None

28 May 2014

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The Mountain Khaki Men's Equatorial Pant has a relaxed fit with articulated knees, mid-rise, with adjustable snap cuffs and a zipper and button attachment. The fabric is a lightweight 3.7 oz (105 g) "super high density weave" nylon that has been treated with a durable water repellant (DWR) and has UVA and UVB 50+ sun protection.

There are a total of six mesh-lined pockets. Two of the pockets have zippers. One of the zipper pockets is in the front and shares the same space as one of the front pockets and has a vertical zipper. The other "security pocket" with a zipper is on the right, rear.

pix-khaki-plastic-snaps

The plastic snaps on the cuffs allow the pants to be closed in around the ankle.

pix-khaki-nylon-mesh-inner

Trying It On - The material is soft and very light. In fact, these are the lightest hiking pants I've ever tried and I am already impressed. They pack down small and I'm already "wowed" by the feel--both in fabric texture (smooth) and weight. I want another few pairs for travel already!

Fit - The waist is a little snug even though I picked a size that was a little loose fitting on other pants I own. Everywhere else, the fit is great. The pants have a nice relaxed flow.

pix-khaki-zipper-pockets

Pockets - The front pockets are deep enough to fit my whole hand. The left rear pocket has a hook-and-loop fastener to keep it closed. The front right zippered pocket shares the same space as the front right pocket, which I'll have to see how it works/feels in the future. In my initial testing, I placed my slim wallet in the front zipper (secure) pocket, but it bulges out into the front pocket, making for an odd sensory reaction when I place my hand in the pocket (I feel it, but can't access it). I'll have to play around with what objects work well in that space.

pix-khaki-tag

Appearance - I generally like the look of the pants, but the real compliment for me is what my wife thinks, and she loves how I look in them, so I'm sold.

INITIAL SUMMARY

PRO—Very lightweight. Packs down really small. Nice feel.

CON—The waist is somewhat smaller than I anticipated.

FIELD REPORT

12 Aug 2014

FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

I've used these pants on a variety of camping trips and a few day hikes.

May 30-31: Sycamore Canyon, Arizona. An overnight camping trip with my sons with a bit of day hiking, totaling about 5 miles (8 km). Low temperature was 50°F (10°C).

June 26; July 5-6: Southern Utah. One of a few day hikes taken in the red rock area of Southern Utah. Hot and dry at 3,000 ft (914 m) with daytime temperatures in the 100s°F (38°C).

June 30-July 4: Bear Lake, Utah. The elevation was 6,000 ft (1,829 m). During the night, the temperature dropped into the low-60s°F (-5°C).

Jul 14-19: Camp Geronimo, Arizona. Summer camp with the Boy Scouts, just off the Mogollon Rim. Lots of day hikes and all-around camping fun. A few days of heavy rain, with temperatures in the 80s°F (20s°C).

PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

Just the other day I was looking for some pants in my gear closet and pulled out the Mountain Khakis along with a different pair and I was shocked at the weight comparison. The Equatorial Pants are so light!

Appearance/durability - I've worn the pants through some rough country that involved some bushwhacking with brush and burrs scraping the pants and they have held up remarkably well. At one point I was worried I tore a hole or a run, but they appear as clear and clean as when they first arrived.

pix-red-rocks

Warmth/Wind Resistance - Most of the summer I've been more conscious of getting too warm. On hikes in Southern Utah, I've done a lot of pant rolling to make either capris or long shorts. Since the pants are so light, it is easy to get multiple rolls without feeling pressure or bulk around my legs. It's actually really nice. I've often been on the fence about pants with zip-off legs: I've purchased a few pair, but I rarely zip off the legs because of the hassle. Rolling up the legs has actually been more useful and works great. The pants do a pretty good job of cutting out the wind.

Comfort - I love the fit on these pants. They have a great feel against my skin and the cut of the legs is loose enough that I don't get too hot, although rolling up the legs is great when it's too hot outside.

Pockets - I've enjoyed having the security of the zipper pocket up front, but it bugs me a little for two reasons: first, I often dive my hand into the main open pocket and feel something but can't reach it because it's in the secure pocket; second, when I leave the zipper open, my hand often dives into this pocket accidentally. It's not that I don't like the pocket, it's just getting used to the fit and feel.

FIELD USE SUMMARY

The Equatorial Pants are great. I like how light the fabric is, which allows me to easily roll up the legs when necessary, or pull warmer layers over top at camp. It's a great pant and I'm enjoying the ride.

I would like to thank Mountain Khakis and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.

Read more reviews of Mountain Khakis gear