Reviews > Clothing > Pants and Shorts > Mountain Khakis Equatorial Pants > Test Report by Steven M Kidd

MOUNTAIN KHAKIS EQUATORIAL PANTS

NAME: Steven M. Kidd
EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
LOCATION: Carmel, IN
GENDER: M

Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 30 years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties, while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). In the last several years I have become a hammock camping enthusiast. I generally go on one or two night outings that cover between 5 to 20 mi (8 - 32 km) distances. I try to keep the all-inclusive weight of my pack under 20 lb (9 kg) even in the winter.

Image Courtesy of Mountain Khakis

Manufacturer: Mountain Khakis
Year of Manufacture: 2014
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.mountainkhakis.com/
MSRP: US $84.95
Sized Tested: 35 in x 30 in (89 cm x 76 cm)
Color Tested: Retro Khaki {Willow and Stone are also available}
Listed Weight: N/A
Measured Weight: 8.7 oz (247 g)*
Measured Inseam: 31 in (79 cm)
Measured Waist: 35 in (89 cm)

*Measured weight with tags in place. I need a 36 in (91 cm) waist, so I haven't removed the tags.

The Mountain Khakis Equatorial Pant are made with a 3.7 oz "Super High Density Weave" nylon. They are treated with a Durable Water Repellent (DWR) which they refer to as 80/20, are marketed as quick drying and offer both UVA and UVB 50+ protection from the sun. The pants offer six pockets that are mesh lined; two being zippered security pockets. One of these zippered pockets is on the right rear and the other is on the right front area when wearing them. The knees are articulated, they offer a mid-rise and relaxed fit. The cuffs have plastic snap that allows them to be adjusted snugly to the leg, and Mountain Khakis states the pants offer a diamond shaped 'action' gusset inseam.

The moment I removed the Mountain Khakis from the package in which they arrived, I could tell they were a quality made product. The nylon material was smooth to the touch and felt very lightweight to me.

Attention to detail has been made to the seams and stitching. The pants are also rather fashionable in my opinion. Often my backcountry pants are items that I wouldn't consider wearing around town, but I could easily see myself grabbing these trousers and wearing them to the 'mall'.

I generally wear a 34 to 35 in (86 to 89 cm) waist, but this pair was a little snug in the waist, so I plan on going up one size. However, I can affirm the claimed relaxed fit, as even with these being snug on my waist the hips and crotch area are very comfortable. The knees are articulated subtly, and this aids to the aesthetic appeal in my opinion, but feel as if they will remain comfortable when I wear them in the field.
Rear Pockets including a Zippered Security Pocket
The thin and lightweight material feels breathable enough to try out on warm summer days. I find this appealing for bushwhacking in briary thickets and fending off ticks and other pests.
Front Pocket with Zippered Security Pocket

The rear pockets are what I would refer to as drop pockets and are closed with a hook and loop tab. The pocket on the right rear also has a zippered security pocket which appears designed to fit an average men's wallet. Unfortunately for me I'm left handed and stow mine on the left side.

The front pockets are angled slightly and appear deep enough that I don't believe items will easily fall from them. This is a problem I've noticed with other brands of trail pants. Once again, the right front pocket has an additional zippered pocket that could easily secure coins, keys or the like. Again, on the opposite side that I typically carry such items. Yet another reminder of being a lefty in a right-minded world!

I notice small attentions to detail that appear to allow these pants to stand apart from many competitors on the market. The knees are articulated like many trail pans, but as earlier stated this is subtle. The gusset, stated to be diamond shaped is comfortable when wearing and is notably more arced than a traditional pair of men's trousers or chinos. I often find the latter to have sharp and angled contours. In trying the pants on, this was noticeably comfortable.

The snapped cuffs are an interesting touch. Often I find trail pants to have zippered cuffs that taper, particularly if they are convertible. The Equatorial pants have no such zipper. I do enjoy that the snap will allow me to secure the pants in a snugger manner when I feel the need for this flexibility, and the opportunity to drape more loosely when in town or camp.

Another subtle nicety that I noticed was a polyester strip on the interior of the waist line. My assumption is that this is designed to allow a shirt to be tucked into the pants and aid in keeping it from coming untucked. I've noticed similar designs in higher end dress trousers.
Plastic Snapped Cuffs
Diamond Gusseted Crotch
Articulated Knees

SUMMARY

I've long noticed Mountain Khakis products and admired the quality of the heavy duty canvas items they offer. These have never fit into my backcountry needs, but when I was given the opportunity to try these lightweight nylon trousers I quickly jumped!

The Equatorial pants appear to be well made with attention to the smaller details. They are comfortable and I look forward to getting the right size and starting to wear them around town and in the backcountry.

At the summary of most reports I generally offer a roses and thorns bullet point, but I truly can't find any thorns at this point. Sure I'd love to have the zippered pockets offered on the left side, but that would be picky! As for roses, they are lightweight, comfortable, and soft to the touch and appealing to my eyes.

FIELD REPORT

FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

Casual Enough for Dinner in Town

7-8 June, 2014; South Cumberland State Park, near Tracy City, Tennessee. Before my family relocated to Indiana to join me, I was able to return to my former Tennessee home and take in one last overnight outing in my old stomping grounds with the children. We did a quick overnight on the Fiery Gizzard Trail, a familiar spot for my 5 1/2 and 7 year old cohorts. Elevations average a fairly constant 1750 ft (533 m) along the nearly 3 mi (4.8 km) trek to the Small Wilds camping area. Conditions were dry and temperate in my opinion. Lows were around 65 F (18 C) and I measured a high of 79 F (26 C).

28 June, 2014; Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis, Indiana. Having relocated to Indiana in advance of my family and yet without my backpacking gear I decided I needed to get into the woods for some sanity as well as an opportunity to test these pants. I took a 6.75 mi (11 km) hike along the Red Trail at a local city park in Indianapolis. I wasn't too familiar with the area, but a local website stated the following about the area: Eagle Creek Park has 1,400 acres (5.7 km2) of water and 3,900 acres (16 km2) of land. There are about 10 miles (16 km) of paths. Elevation in the area averages 700 ft (213 m), and although the trail is listed as moderate-to-difficult, I found it refreshing. It was a nice retreat for the day, and a good test in humid conditions. The temperature was around 82 F (28 C), but it was sticky outside.

26 July, 2014; Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis, Indiana. After my family finally arrived to the area, I thought it would be a great idea to spend an afternoon outside in the closest nature I've been able to find to date. I returned to the park, but chose the 2.5 mi (4 km) Orange Trail for the kids. The loop was easily manageable for my wife and the youngsters. Temperatures were around 78 F (26 C) with low humidity.

15-17 August, 2014; Hoosier National Forest, Charles C. Deam Wilderness Area, near Bloomington, Indiana. I finally was able to get the children out on a 3-day/2-night outing in the new state. We only hiked a total 5.5 mi (9 km) total on the trip and carried our own water. Temperatures were great for August with nightly lows around 55 F (13 C) and daily highs around 80 F (27 C) with elevations averaging 650-800 ft (198-244 m).

PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

I've been quite satisfied and impressed with the Mountain Khakis Equatorial Pants to date. They are lightweight and have performed well in hiking and backpacking use. I was a little concerned about testing pants that didn't have the ability to convert to shorts in the midst of the summer, but it hasn't been an issue for me this year.

I attest this to multiple factors. First the summer season has been extremely mild in Indiana. We've yet to have a 90 F (32 C) day this year. Secondly, I find the material of the pants not to be too thick and they do tend to wick away moisture when they do become damp. I've have a few hikes and worn them around town casually on some extremely humid and muggy days and haven't been miserable during any of these instances.

The product has been durable and I've yet to notice any wear during the field reporting portion of this series. Granted, I've worn them more often around town in a casual manner than I have in the backcountry, but they are holding up well. I'm actually happy to wear them out casually, which is something I rarely do with trail pants. When I've worn them on overnights and the multi-day trip I didn't notice any odor after use, which is always a positive.

I haven't experience any rain during use, but recently I was wearing the trousers while working on the pool filter in the back yard. I opened a valve and was doused with water. I continued to work and do a few other things around the yard and noticed the pants were dry enough within a half hour or so.

The material feels really nice against the skin; it is soft to the touch. The waist does sit a little higher than most trail pants I currently own, but the crotch and hip area is very comfortable and doesn't tend to bunch or gather during hiking. I appreciate this feature!

I like the security zipper feature. When hiking and backpacking I prefer not to carry my wallet. I generally carry my ID, one credit/debit card and a little cash. All these items bound by a rubber band slip conveniently into the zippered pocket on the right front and are basically unnoticeable during use.

SUMMARY

To date I've been thoroughly impressed with the Equatorial Pants. I enjoy the feel of the material, and cut of the pants and the look of the product.

They have performed to my satisfaction during hiking and backpacking use and be fashionable enough to wear to a casual dinner in town.

I generally always have some type of thorn to report on a product, but to date I really can't think of one on these pants, and I'm certainly not going to find anything to nit-pick at this point. I look forward to continued use and some cooler weather over the final months of the report.

I'd like to thank Mountain Khakis and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test the Equatorial pants. Please check back in approximately two months for my long term report on them.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Mountain Khakis gear