Reviews > Clothing > Shirts > Chill Angel Sereni Tee > Test Report by Gail Staisil

Chill Angel

Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
Weight: 160 lb (73 kg)
Location: Marquette, Michigan USA
Email: woodswoman 2001 AT yahoo DOT com

For the last 20 years, backpacking has become a passion. I am a four-season backpacker and an off-trail navigator. Although I do take yearly trips to the American West or Southwest, the majority of my trips are in Michigan. My pack weight varies considerably but my base weight is below 18 lb (8 kg). I am primarily a tarptent camper who averages more than 50 nights a year backpacking in a huge variety of weather conditions including relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero temps.
Product Information

Size
XL
Material
100 percent Merino Wool
Tested Weight  5.4 oz (153 g)
Manufacturer's Weight
NA
 Cost $89 US

Initial Impressions and Product Description

The Chill Angel Sereni-Tee arrived in the size of XL and the color of spring green. The tee is described as loose-fitting and I would agree that it does not fit tightly. The tee is actually a pajama product as the manufacturer makes only sleepwear. However, the tee is simply designed and will be Chill Angel Sereni-Teeworn for backpacking and other endeavors as well as sleep. The tee comes in three additional colors of black, silver and blue jay. All colors have contrast stitching. US sizes available include women's XS (0-2), S (4-6), M (8-10), L (10-12), and XL (12-14).

As referenced the Sereni-Tee is one of many products designed by the manufacturer for sleep. According to the company, it was founded to help with solutions for sleep disruptions that result from body temperature fluctuations. Many times disruptions can happen if a person is too hot or cold. Wearing wool may help the latter as it regulates temperature.

Sereni-Tee Features

The Sereni-Tee is fabricated with 100 percent superfine Merino Wool. The 200 gm lightweight jersey knit allows temperature regulation and manages moisture. Although the wool is described as lightweight, it is heavier than some other very light wool tees that I own. It feels soft to wear and the cut of the tee is very comfortable with a small cap sleeve to cover the shoulders. The armholes are an extension of the main body of the tee (T-shaped) and are seamless except for the shoulder seams. The neckline of the tee is generous but provides enough coverage.

The underarm seam measures about 17 in (43 cm) to the hem. The seams on the tee feature contrast stitching. Featured on the spring green tee is a golden yellow flatlock stitching around the neck and lower hem edge. The hem of the tee is curved adding a little extra coverage (approximately 25.25 in/64 cm from neck to hem). A sewn-thru gold-colored ribbon loop with the company logo is on the front lower edge. There is also a screened company logo on the back center of the tee just below the neckline.

The tee has simple care instructions printed inside just below the neck opening of the tee. They are to machine wash cold on gentle, dry flat, no bleach and no dry cleaning. Because I do not like to wear new clothing without washing it first, I have already laundered the tee with good success. It didn't shrink or change its shape.

Summary

The Chill Angel Sereni Tee appears to be a versatile and comfortable piece of clothing. I have already worn it for sleep as there have been a few heat records here this week. Combined with the humidity and no air conditioning, it was an ideal time to test it out. I didn't feel sweaty and the tee stayed cool on my skin. Can't wait to get out in the field with it.

Top of Page

Field Report:
September 15, 2018

USA Locations and Conditions

During field testing I have taken four Michigan backpacking trips totaling nineteen days, and did many other day outings in Michigan. The forests included boreal and deciduous settings and lakeshore. Elevation ranged from above 600 ft (183 m) to almost 2,000 ft (610 m).

Location of Trip #1: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Length of Backpacking Trip: 2 days, 1 night (July 17-18)
Distance: 15 mi (24 km)
Pack Weight: 21 lb (9.5 kg)
Precipitation: None
Temperature Range: 43 F to 69 F (6 C to 21 C)

Location of Trip #2: Grand Island National Recreation AreaFoggy day on the Greenstone Ridge at Isle Royale
Length of Backpacking Trip: 2 days, 1 night (July 23-24)
Distance: 22 mi (35 km)
Pack Weight: 21 lb (9.5 kg)
Precipitation: None
Temperature Range: 56 F to 69 F (13 C to 21 C)

Location of Trip #3: Isle Royale National Park
Length of Trip 12 days/12 nights (August 17-29)
Pack Weight: 28 lb (12.7 kg)
Distance: 91 mi (147 km)
Sky and Air Conditions: Cloudy, rain and some sun
Precipitation: Heavy rain twice (many hours each time)
Temperature Range: 46 F to 82 F (8 C to 28 C)

Location of Trip #4: Grand Island National Recreation Area
Length of Backpacking Trip: 3 days, 2 nights (Sept 10-12)
Distance: 13 mi (21 km)
Pack Weight: 23 lb (10.4 kg)
Precipitation: None
Temperature Range: 45 F to 83 F (7 C to 28 C)

Trip Talk
   Tee serves as layering piece
During field testing I went on a variety ofBackpacking backpacking trips. Most of my wear of the Sereni-Tee was over a long-sleeve wool shirt or under a long-sleeve button-down shirt. I just don't care for the sun exposure of a short sleeve shirt. That said it performed well for all my endeavors. I have also used it for sleep at home with good results. This summer has been very humid and hot by Upper Peninsula of Michigan standards. I don't have air conditioning in my older home which is normal here. Usually a ceiling fan or open window is sufficient at night. I felt comfortable throughout the night.

In the early days of summer I wore the tee while backpacking with a long-sleeve wool layer underneath. On other trips I often started the day wearing the tee beneath my long sleeve button-down shirt. I would remove it when I got too hot. On most other trips it served as one of my base layers at camp. As soon as I arrived at camp each day, I took off my sweaty long sleeve shirt, cleaned up a bit/swam and immediately put on my Sereni-Tee. Sometimes if it was chilly the long sleeve light wool would be worn too. I would definitely have both layers on when I went to bed. Often I slept in a light vest over those two layers as well. I use a sleeping quilt so it was just lightly over me.

I have also worn the tee a few times for everyday life. I wore it while mowing the lawn several times and for other chores around the yard. I chose to wear it during cloudy weather although it was still warm and humid. It worked well as I felt more comfortable than when I wear a cotton or synthetic shirt.

The tee has been very comfortable and is not tight at all. I do like loose layers better and it works fine for layering as I often had the long sleeve layer under it. It also stayed nicely in place and I didn't feel like it crawled up my backside.

I have washed the Sereni-Tee a half-dozen times with my regular wash with cold water. I placed it on a drying rack with all my other tops and it dried quickly enough. That is about 7-8 hours in my basement. So far, it looks as good as new. It hasn't stretched out or shrunk. I haven't noticed any fading to the color. It is still very bright green!At camp at Grand Island

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Wicking fabric - wool
  • Versatile style

Cons

• None

Tester Remarks

Thanks to Chill Angel and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity to test the Sereni-Tee. This concludes my Field Report. The Long Term Report will be ready in approximately two months.

Top of Page