Reviews > Clothing > Shirts > Ex Officio BugsAway Breezr Shirt > Test Report by Michael Mosack

EXOFFICIO BUGSAWAY BREEZ'R SHIRT
TEST SERIES BY MIKE MOSACK
July 18, 2014

NAME: Mike Mosack
EMAIL: mosack(at)earthlink(dot)net
LOCATION: Lakeside, CA USA and Afghanistan
GENDER: M

I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, California and Grand Canyon, Arizona and I've worked in Afghanistan for 4 years & rely on my equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter when possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items are paramount to me over price and weight.

Manufacturer: ExOfficio
Image from Mfr's website

Year of Manufacture: 2014
Manufacturer's Website: www.exofficio.com
MSRP: US $49.92 - $85.00
Listed Weight: 8.5 oz (241 g) unknown what size was measured for this listed weight
Measured Weight: 9.8 oz (278 g)
Other details:
Fabric: 100% Nylon
This product is imported and not made in the USA
Sizes available: S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL
Available colors: Algae, Bone, Cayman, and White (I should note that the color Dusty Olive is available in size 3XL at the MSRP of $49.92 and not all colors are available in all sizes.)
Actual product tested size - XXL / color - White

PLEASE NOTE: There is sizing information available on the manufacturer's website. The website states that all measurements are in inches and correspond to actual body measurements, not to the dimensions of the garment.

The BugsAway® Breez'r™ is Insect Shield® Repellent Apparel from ExOfficio and henceforth referred to as the shirt. The shirt is designed for many outdoor activities, including backpacking. It is a long sleeve, lightweight shirt that has numerous features and treatments. Some of the features include Flow Thru Ventilation on the front and back; breathable ripstop nylon rated UPF 30+ Sun Guard and it is moisture wicking and quick-drying. Permethrin, the active ingredient in Insect Shield, is invisible, odorless, and is tightly bonded to the fabric fibers and designed to repel mosquitoes, ticks, and numerous other insects. According to the manufacturer, Insect Shield repellent lasts 70 washings. There are seams that were intentionally moved off of the shoulder to prevent rubbing and a security chest pocket.

This shirt resembles a dress shirt. It is a button up, collared, long sleeve shirt. The material (ripstop nylon) is soft to the touch yet has a durable quality as well. I wear a 2XL and this is sized pretty accurately for me. There are open vents on the sides of the shirt which remain hidden unless I lift my arms. The length of the shirt allows me to tuck it in for those times when I want to look more professional yet be wearing a shirt designed for athletic wear. The funny part is that I don't know if anyone would notice it was an outdoor athletic shirt unless I told them.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

The only instructions I located was the Care Instructions which state -
Machine wash cold; Wash with like colors; No bleach or fabric softeners; Tumble dry low; Iron low setting; Do not dry clean.

TRYING IT OUT

I tried on the shirt and it fits well. The sleeves are a good length and I am able to move around without any restriction.

SUMMARY

I like the look and feel of the shirt and that it appears that I can wear it during outdoor activities as well as in the office. There are numerous features incorporated into this shirt and I am eager to get started on this test.

I would like to thank both ExOfficio and BackpackGeatTest.org for allowing me the opportunity to test this product. Please check back in about two months and I'll have my Field Report ready for your review.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Ex Officio gear