Reviews > Clothing > Shirts > Ex Officio Sol Cool Long Sleeve Shirt > Test Report by Marina Batzke

EXOFFICIO SOL COOL LONG SLEEVE SHIRT
TEST SERIES BY MARINA BATZKE
June 30, 2014

NAME: Marina Batzke
EMAIL: mbbp2013 (at) hotmail (dot) com
LOCATION: Los Angeles County, California, USA
GENDER: F

I converted from day hiking and car camping to backpacking in spring 2013. Since then, I have selectively purchased new, more lightweight gear, while I still carry some heavier gear from my car camping trips. I always hike with a group and I like the gear talk when in camp. I am a tent camper looking for ways to lighten my pack. My backpacking trips are currently weekend excursions in Southern California, USA. If my business travel allows me to get away, I try to backpack one or two weekends a month.

Manufacturer: ExOfficio, Seattle, WA
Year of Manufacture: 2014
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.exofficio.com
MSRP: US $55.00
Listed Weight: 4.5 oz (128 g)
Measured Weight: 5.3 oz (150 g) for the L-sized women's shirt
Other details:
Available women's shirt colors: Atmosphere (light blue), Glamour (orange), Zest (yellow) and Pizazz (pink).
Available women's sizes are: XS, S, M, L, XL.
Slim fit.

The ExOfficio Women's Sol Cool long sleeve arrived inside a clear plastic bag. Attached to the shirt top using a small safety pin were five cardboard tags:
1. ExOfficio Made to Adventure advertising tag
2. Sol Cool feature explanation tag in English and French
3. UPF 50+ feature explanation tag in English and French
4. Sol Cool Collection features overview tag in English and French
5. Product Sales Tag with bar code, Size and Fit information

On the company website, I had picked the shirt color Pizazz and the actual shirt color looks pink like shown online. The seams are all in clearly contrasting white flatlock stitching. All stitching is flawless with no loose threads. On the shirt back inside, the fabric contents and "Made in Malaysia" are imprinted. The shirt consists of 91% polyester and 9% spandex.
Collar area stitching and tagless label

On the shirt's outside backside top, the wording ExOfficio and on the upper left arm their logo are applied in silver-reflective.
Upper arm stitching and ExOfficio logo

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

Sol Cool is made using the Icefil (registered mark) technology by binding Xylitol to fabric fibers. Upon contact with moisture (e.g., sweat), this helps cool the skin's surface temperature up to 5 degrees.
The shirt also has a 50+ UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) rating, meaning it blocks at least 98% of all UVA and UVB rays from getting to my skin. Ultraviolet A rays can age the skin and ultraviolet B rays can burn the skin, and both can cause cancer.
The shirt is described as wicking, stretching, lightweight, odor resistant and quick drying.
On an inside seam sewn-in fabric tag, I see that the shirt shall only be washed in cold water with like colors and without bleach. It may get tumbled dry at low setting and must promptly be removed from the dryer. It can get ironed at a low setting and shall not get dry-cleaned.

TRYING IT OUT

Because the shirt was described as slim fit and after looking at the Size Chart on the company website, I decided to go with the women's Large size. I put the shirt on and this L size fits right in my shoulder and bust area, while it is a touch loose in the waist, which is usually my preference. The sleeves are quite long which might help prevent sun burn on my hands. The crew neck is rather wide - I may have to wear a Buff or bandana to avoid sun burn along the neckline.

The shirt fabric feels cool and soft. The white stitching feels a bit firm and a touch scratchy. I will now wash the shirt before wearing it on my upcoming 4-day backpacking trip.

SUMMARY

I like the pink color of the shirt and the soft feel of the lightweight fabric.
I am a little disappointed that the crew neck has such a wide cut and that the shirt has to get washed in cold water, which means I have to hand-wash it.
I am excited to test the ExOfficio Sol Cool long sleeve shirt on my upcoming backpacking trips with usually hot California sun.
Thank you very much to ExOfficio and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this lightweight, soft shirt.

SIGNATURE

Marina Batzke

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Ex Officio gear