Reviews > Clothing > Shirts > Ex Officio Sol Cool Long Sleeve Shirt > Test Report by Steven M Kidd

EX OFFICIO SOL COOL MEN'S LONG SLEEVE TEE
TEST SERIES BY STEVEN M. KIDD
July 07, 2014

NAME: Steven M. Kidd
EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
LOCATION: Carmel, Indiana
GENDER: M

Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 30 years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties, while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). In the last several years I have become a hammock camping enthusiast. I generally go on one or two night outings that cover between 5 to 20 mi (8 - 32 km) distances. I try to keep the all-inclusive weight of my pack under 20 lb (9 kg) even in the winter.

Image Courtesy Ex Officio

Manufacturer: Ex Officio
Year of Manufacture: 2014
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.exofficio.com/
MSRP: US $60.00
Listed Weight: 7.0 oz (198 g)
Measured Weight: 6.9 oz (196 g)
Colors Available: Cayman (Light Blue), Koi (Bright Orange), Oregano (Olive), Oyster (Light Grey), Zest (Bright Yellow) & Varsity (Deep Blue) I am testing Varsity
Sizes Available: S - 2XL (Testing Large)
Material: 91% Polyester / 9% Spandex
Listed & Measured Shirt Length: 29.5 in (75 cm) - Based on a size Large
Fit Description: Natural

The Ex Officio Sol Cool Men's Long Sleeve Tee, hereafter referred to as tee or shirt, is an item in the manufacturers Sol Cool line. It uses IcefilŪ. This fabric uses Xylitol to create a cooling sensation on contact with moisture to lower body temperature up to 5 F (2.8 C). It offers Sun Guard 50+, the highest protection available for a garment. Comfort technology includes seams moved off the shoulder to prevent rubbing and an underarm gusset for maximum mobility. The garment offers active stretch fabric and flat-locked stitching as well as tag-less label designed to prevent irritation.

It incorporates what Ex Efficio calls intelligent moisture control technology to provide exceptional wicking. It is considered to be odor resistant, quick drying and lightweight.

The website offers the following care instructions: Machine wash cold; Wash with like colors; No bleach; Tumble dry low, remove promptly; Iron low setting; Do not dry clean

Shirt Front
Like any item I've ever worn from Ex Officio, this tee appears to be well designed. The shirt itself had no hanging threads and generally looks to be well made.

The shirt is listed as a Natural fit. I don't find that it hugs the body like a rash guard would do, but it isn't baggy either. The sleeves have a definite taper to them. I believe this will be beneficial on the trail so they won't snag on low hanging brush or the like. Also if I wear the shirt in the water the tapered sleeves will likely shed water in a more positive manner. I'm the kind of guy that always tends to push his long sleeved tees up to his elbows, even in the winter. Doing so with this shirt is only comfortable to about the forearm, and I'm concerned it could affect the natural snugness of the sleeves when they are returned properly to the wrist area. I look forward to reporting on this in the Field Report as it is simple a natural inclination to what I tend to subconsciously do on the trail.

The shirt is definitely very comfortable and the feel to the skin is soft and smooth. The seams and flat-lock technology are quite comfortable. I'm excited about the sun protection as well.

Not only for the trail, but I've recently had to relocate the family from the rolling hills of Tennessee to the flatter regions of Indiana. That stated, our new home happens to have a pool. I'm not one for sunbathing this day in age, but having a 5 1/2 and a 7 year old I'm certain they'll wish to spend the better part of the weekends in the water. So I'm interested to see if the shirt will keep me cool and protect my skin from the sun. Will the chlorine affect the color? I look forward to answering these questions.

Since the website suggests amphibious adventures are suitable for the tee I did briefly hop in the pool with it. It clung well to my body, didn't balloon up with air (even though it's not a skin tight rash guard) and the tapered sleeves actually were a benefit in the pool.
Shirt Back

I certainly see the Sol Cool Tee as a multifunctional shirt for not only trail use, but also wearing around the pool in the late stages of this summer. I'm excited to report if it actually does cool my body temperature as stated? I'm not certain how to truly measure this, save an empiric rating, but I will certainly do my best to inform the reader on this tee.

SUMMARY

I'm excited to test the Ex Officio Sol Cool Long Sleeve Tee. It is comfortable to wear and doesn't cling too tightly to the body. I do prefer snugly fitting items for exercise, but not on the trail. This appears to be an ideal fit.

I look forward to seeing how this long sleeved shirt keeps me cool not only on the trail in the backcountry, but also in the backyard pool I've recently acquired.

It is certainly a nice looking garment, although all the color choices tend to be fairly bold. The Varsity Blue reminds me of a bright royal blue and the flat-lock seams are certainly a bold yellow! To clarify; when it first arrived my wife's quote was: "That's for the wood's isn't it"? I personally like the color, but I don't suppose she wants me strolling through downtown with her wearing it based on that comment.

Save my wife's comment, I have no thorns to report on the shirt at the outset of the test. I know polyesters material can easily pick and that could be a concern on the trail, but only time and testing will answer that question. Please check back in a few months to see how this tee is performing!

I would sincerely like to thank Ex Officio and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test the Sol Cool Long Sleeve Tee.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Ex Officio gear