Reviews > Clothing > Socks > Farm to Feet Jamestown Midweight Crew > Test Report by Bob Dorenfeld

Farm To Feet - Jamestown Socks
Test Series By Bob Dorenfeld
Initial Review    April 7, 2014

Tester Bio
Name: Bob Dorenfeld

I'm an active hiker, snowshoer, skier, backpacker, amateur geographer and naturalist.  Home base for me is the Southern Colorado Rockies, where I'll hike from 7000 ft (2100 m) to above treeline, with an occasional desert trip at lower altitudes.  Six to 12 miles (10 to 20 km) in a day is my norm, including elevation gains up to 4000 ft (1200 m).  Most of my backpack trips are two or three nights, sometimes longer, carrying 30-40 lbs (14-18 kg).  My style is lightweight but not obsessively so - extras like binoculars, camera, and notebook make my trips more enjoyable.

Email: geartest(at)sageandspruce(dot)net
Location: Salida, Colorado, USA
Gender: M
Height: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
Shoe Size: Men's 8.5  (EUR 42)

Product Overview

Intended Use:
   Hiking
Materials:  73% Marino wool, 26%                  Nylon, 1% Spandex
Materials Origin:  100% US
Colors Available:   Sycamore/Black, Lead Gray/Brown, Berry/Platinum, Wooly Blue/Formula One
Sizes Available:   (American)
    Small: W 4 - 6.5
    Medium: M 6-8.5 / W 7-9.5 (size being tested here)
    Large: M 9-11.5 / W 10-12.5
    X-Large: M 12-14.5

Product Info
Colors (L to R): Lead Gray/Brown, Berry/Platinum, Wooly Blue/Formula One
These Farm To Feet medium-weight crew-style wool-blend socks are intended for hiking, and are, according to the manufacturer, a "traditionally knitted" sock with an even density of fabric throughout the foot and leg.  It's constructed using a seamless toe closure, and designed to "compression fit" snugly across toes, foot, and leg, reducing binding that can cause blisters.  The Jamestown sock comes in a wide variety of sizes for both men and women, and in four color combinations.  The socks I have (Medium) measure 7.5 in (19 cm) from heel to toe, and 9.75 in (24.5 cm) from toe to top.  I weighed them at 1.5 oz (43 g) per pair.  What immediately makes these socks stand out from similar clothing is the sourcing of materials: all components, but especially the Merino wool, are from the United States.  The socks are also manufactured in the US.  Recommended care instructions are to machine wash cold, lay flat to dry.  Farm To Feet supplies a "Guarantee For Life": "If you are not completely satisfied with the durability or performance of your Farm To Feet socks, then please return them for a replacement or a refund."

- Initial Review -

First Impressions

Terrycloth liningI received three pairs of the Jamestown socks, in size men's medium, for my American 8.5 shoe size.  Although my size is at the top end of the men's medium range (instead of being slightly below as for some other brands) I don't think that will be a problem since the Spandex will allow some stretching.  I received three different and pleasant color combinations as seen in the Product Overview photo above.  The socks feel warm and smooth on the outside, and the white terrycloth weave (photo, right) lining the inside feels very cushiony and soft on my feet.  This is the about usual sock weight I use, perhaps even just a slight bit thicker.

What's Next?

I'm looking forward to treating my feet to new socks!  On most hikes I wear a thin liner sock of wool or polyester blend next to my skin, and the thicker socks (like the Jamestown) on top and next to the boots.  But for casual and/or short hikes I plan to find out if a single layer of just the Jamestown socks will do.  I'll be hiking not only a wide variety of trails, from easy to steep and rocky, but also off-trail where footing conditions can change rapidly and unpredictably (and sock comfort is very important).  Depending on trail length, difficulty, and pack weight, I wear either heavier and stiffer full-grain leather boots, or a more flexible light-weight leather (or fabric) hiking boot. Now I'm off for my first hike!

Please stop back in about four months for my Long Term Report to see how the Farm To Feet Jamestown hiking socks worked out for me.

Acknowledgments

Thanks to Farm To Feet and to BGT for the opportunity to test the Jamestown hiking socks.

‹ Reviewed By