Reviews > Clothing > Socks > Farm to Feet Jamestown Midweight Crew > Test Report by Brett Haydin

Farm To Feet Jamestown Sock

EMAIL: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com
LOCATION: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
GENDER: M
SHOE SIZE 10.5 US

I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being involved in the Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer camp leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now generally take short weekend or day trips in a variety of terrain each year - from mountains to grasslands. I take one or two longer trips each year, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18 kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight trips as well.

Jamestown

Manufacturer's Website: www.farmtofeet.com
MSRP: $19.00 US
Listed Weight: n/a
Measured Weight: 3 oz (85 g) per pair
Colors Tested:  Sycamore/Black, Lead Grey/Brown, Woolly Blue/Formula One, also available in Berry/Platinum
Size Tested: Large (also available in S, M, XL)
Warranty: Guarantee for life. Will refund or replace if not satisfied with durability or performance

Product Description

The Farm To Feet Jamestown is a medium weight hiking sock.  It is made of a blend of merino wool (73%), nylon (26%) and Spandex (1%), all of which is made in the US.  The socks are crew length (mid-calf) and have a seamless toe enclosure, or a flat seam at the toe. The seam lies over the top of the toes.

The socks have contrasting colors, with the bottom generally darker than to top.  The manufacturer describes the cushioning as full-density and is from the toe to the top.  This means that there is a terry pile surface on the inside and a plain knit surface on the other throughout the whole sock.  The image below shows the inside of a sock.

The "comfort compression" in the sock results in a tight-but-not-constricting fit.  The manufacturer's name "Farm To Feet" is stitched into the top of each sock.
Inside
An inside view of the Jamestown

Initial Impressions

I received three pairs of socks to test over the next four months.  They appear to be expertly made, with no loose threads or defects that I could see.  They come in an attractive recycled paper packaging with information about the sock design as well as the company, Farm To Feet. The terry pile interior is soft and warm.  I first tried the socks on while it was chilly out, around 45 F (7 C), and my toes were kept nice and warm.

The socks are the perfect weight for me moving into the spring and summer seasons.

Reading the Instructions

Included in the packaging were simple care instructions.  They are to be machine washed in cold water and laid flat to dry.  Sounds pretty simple!

Summary

The Farm To Feet Jamestown Socks are well-constructed, medium-weight crew socks.  I am excited to get out and hike with them!

Pros: Comfortable, true to size.

Cons: None so far.

This concludes my initial report.  I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Farm To Feet for their generosity as well as the folks at BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to be a part of this test series.  Please check back in approximately two months to see how the socks hold up during the first two months of testing.

Read more reviews of Farm to Feet gear