Reviews > Clothing > Socks > Farm to Feet Jamestown Midweight Crew > Test Report by Larry Kirschner

Farm to Feet Jamestown Socks

EMAIL: asklarry98 at hotmail dot com
LOCATION: Columbus, OH
GENDER: M
WEIGHT: 210 lb (95 kg)
SHOE SIZE: 10.5 or 11 (US sizing)

I've been an intermittent camper/paddler since my teens, but when my kids were avid Boy Scouts, I caught the backpacking bug. Now that they have grown up, my wife and I plan to continue our adventures on the trail. I consider myself a mid-weight backpacker because I like comfort, but I can always learn to go lighter and longer.

April 13, 2014

Manufacturer: Farm to Feet
Year of Manufacture: 2014
Country of Manufacture: USA
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.farmtofeet.com
MSRP: USD $19.00

Sizes: Small; (small women), Medium (average women, small men), Large (large women, average men), X-Large (large men).
Colors: Wooly Blue/Formula One (red), Berry/Platinum, Lead Grey/Brown, and Sycamore/Black
Weight: Measured 83.5 g/2.95 oz (1 pair of large socks)

ITEM DESCRIPTION

Farm to Feet Jamestown socks are medium weight hiking socks designed for hiking and adventuring, which I presume includes backpacking. The socks are crew height, meaning they are designed to reach about halfway up the calf. The socks are constructed from73% Merino wool, 26% nylon, and 1% Spandex, all of which were sourced and produced in the United States. According to the manufacturer's website, the socks are fully cushioned and have a seamless toe closure, which is designed to reduce the bulk at the toe box and reduce friction blisters. Because they are partly made from nylon and Spandex, they are designed to provide a moderate degree of compression ("comfort compression") to produce a firm fit. This type of construction is proposed to provide maximum comfort as well as good support "to help fight fatigue."

As shown in the photo, the socks have an articulated heel and toe as well as an elastic band around the top. There is an area of ribbing in the central part of the foot, and the toe area is a little wider. Consistent with the notion that this sock is fully padded, the thickness of the sock is uniform from top to bottom, including at the heel and toe. There are seams palpable on the inside, but they are very flat.

closeup of Jamestown sock

As shown in the photo at the top of the report and as listed in the colors available, all of the combinations of the Jamestown socks have two colors, but this appears to be solely decorative, as I cannot detect a seam between the colors or identify any difference in thickness. The colors I was provided are the Wooly Blue/Formula One (left), Lead Grey/Brown (middle), and Sycamore/Black (right). The Berry/Platinum socks appear to be the color of a strawberry milkshake, with a darker pink/grayish tint on the lower surface.

Aside from the Farm to Feet logo displayed above the toe, the socks have the size knitted into the inside of the band at the top of the sock. I think this would come in handy if my wife and I ever have the same color socks.

In case you forget who made your socks

Sizing mark on inside of welt

INSTRUCTIONS and WARRANTY

The recommended care for the socks is "Machine wash cold/ lay flat to dry"

The socks are also guaranteed for life. On the packaging material which accompanied each pair, the guarantee reads as follows:
"If you are not completely satisfied with the durability or performance of your Farm To Feet socks, then please return them for a replacemenet or a refund."

An address for said return is conveniently provided.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS and TRYING IT OUT

The socks have a nice appearance and appear quite well made. I gave them a brief test by wearing them around the house with no boots. They are narrow but stretch easily to conform to my feet. There is less compression than I thought there might be. This makes the socks more comfortable, but I am worried a little bit that they might slip and rub somewhat when I wear them on the trail. Although I wore them indoors in the nice comfy 70F/21 C weather, my feet did not feel hot.

EXPECTATIONS for the Farm to Feet Jamestown Socks:

I'm expecting that these socks will serve me well on the trail, and I will be testing that out over the next few months. I want to see how they do in terms of the comfort of the fit as well as the cushioning.

THE STORY SO FAR

Impressive
  • Seem well made
  • Fully cushioned
  • Nice assortment of color schemes
    Concerns
  • Will they slide on my feet?
This concludes my Initial Report on the Farm to Feet Jamestown socks. Please check back in about four months for my Long-Term Report on this item.

Thanks to Farm to Feet for providing these sharp socks for testing, and to BackpackGearTest.org for giving me the chance to participate in the evaluation process.

-larry kirschner