Reviews > Clothing > Socks > SmartWool PhD Outdoor Heavy Crew Socks > Test Report by Mark Thompson

SMARTWOOL PHD OUTDOOR HEAVY CREW SOCKS
TEST SERIES BY MARK THOMPSON
December 12, 2013

NAME: Mark Thompson
EMAIL: markthompson 242 at gmail dot com
LOCATION: Parker, Colorado, USA
GENDER: M

Outdoor adventures started for me at an early age, my passions have grown to include backpacking, rock climbing, hiking, hunting, fishing, canoeing, cycling, skiing and snowshoeing. Most of my adventures presently take place in Colorado's amazing Rocky Mountains. For trail hikes, my pack typically weighs 15 lbs/7 kg (summer/fall), 25 lbs/11 kg (winter/spring) and trail speed ranges from 2.5 - 4 mph (4 - 6 km/h) depending on elevation gain. For backpack trips, my pack weighs 40 - 45 lbs (18 - 20 kg) and my trail speed drops to 1.5 - 3.0 mph (2 - 5 km/h).

Manufacturer: SmartWool
Year of Manufacture: 2013
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.smartwool.com
MSRP: US $25.00
Listed Weight: not listed
Measured Weight: 3.4 oz ( 96g) (pair - sz large)

Other details:
- 86% Merino Wool
- 12% Nylon
- 2% Elastane

Photo courtesy of SmartWool

This new product from SmartWool incorporates their "ReliaWool Technology" and their "4-Degree Elite Fit System"

SmartWool's new PhD Outdoor Heavy Crew sock appears to be a well made, high quality product that boasts of some cool technologies that should make this a top-performing product. When I first tried on the socks, I found them to be very comfortable with an outstanding fit. The 4Degree Elite fit system seems to be "spot on." The ReliaWool sections of the sock are accentuated and cover the heel cup and toe box areas. I, like many, have experienced socks that either wear out in the heel and/or toe box while the remainder of the sock retains much of its original loft. I am quite hopeful that the ReliaWool technology will provide a higher level of durability.

Image courtesy of Smartwool

Using Smartwool's sizing chart, I selected the "large" based upon my US Mens 11 shoe size. Based upon the initial fit, this seems to be accurate.

I did notice, however, that these socks are not as thick as some of Smartwool's other "heavy crew" wool socks. I am curious to see how well these perform in terms of insulation during our colder winter climate.

SUMMARY

My initial reaction is that this could be an awesome product. The sock was very comfortable without being too tight and seemed to provide a great level of support. I look forward to seeing how Smartwool's new technologies perform in the field.

Thank you to Smartwool and BackpackGearTest.org for making this test series possible. Please check back in 2 months for my Field Report.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Smartwool gear
Read more gear reviews by Mark Thompson