Reviews > Clothing > Socks > Zamst HA 1 Run LE socks > Test Report by Marina Batzke

ZAMST HA-1 RUN SOCKS
TEST SERIES BY MARINA BATZKE
May 04, 2014

NAME: Marina Batzke
EMAIL: mbbp2013 (at) hotmail (dot) com
LOCATION: Los Angeles County, California, USA
GENDER: F

I converted from day hiking and car camping to backpacking in spring 2013. Since then, I have selectively purchased new, more lightweight gear, while I still carry some heavier gear from my car camping trips. I always hike with a group and I like the gear talk when in camp. I am a tent camper looking for ways to lighten my pack. My backpacking trips are currently weekend excursions in Southern California, USA. If my business travel allows me to get away, I try to backpack one or two weekends a month.

Manufacturer: Nippon Sigmax Co., LTD. (ZAMST Global Headquarter)
Year of Test: 2014
Manufacturer's Website: http://zamst.us/
MSRP: US $34.99
No Listed Weight
Measured Weight: 1.45 oz (41 g) for the Women's Medium size
Other details: available for men and women.
Sizes for Women: Small - Medium - Large - XLarge
Available colors: white + black
Right Sock outside

Left Sock inside

The ZAMST HA-1 Run Socks are designed to reduce plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot. To accomplish this, the socks have several special features:
- a firm knit construction that gives functional support of the arch
- strong weave around the heel for improved stabilization
- anatomical design specific to the left and right foot.
Close-up Sock outside

Close-up Sock inside

I received white ankle-high socks. They consist of a variety of weaving patterns. The double-layered cuff has the ZAMST logo sewn-in on the cuff outside and the size (here: MEDIUM) on the cuff inside. A zig-zag woven, firm (non-stretchy) band loops from the cuff down underneath the foot arch and back up to the cuff on the other foot side. This band is wider on the arch inside and it is therefore important to wear the correct sock on each foot. Above the heel and in front of the heel are stretchy woven sections designed to stabilize the heel. Right below the cuff on the sock front is an elastic supported wavy portion. The stretchiest portion of the entire sock is on the instep. This stretchy fabric also holds the L / R indication (for left or right foot) and the HA-1 model name in black. The toe box of the sock is separated from the sock main body with a black stripe. The toe box seam feels virtually flat from the outside, yet has quite a bit of a weld on the inside. This toe box is well-cushioned terry cloth.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

ZAMST alerts that the HA-1 socks do not prevent or heal foot injuries. The socks are for arch support and it is important to wear the left sock (marked L) on the left foot and (R) on the right foot, plus wear the appropriate size. The precautions mention to not wear the socks if the skin is sensitive or prone to allergies and in case of abnormal conditions (like cuts, fractures, numbness, swelling or rash). The socks shall not be worn for an extended period of time and not while sleeping. And if the wearer experiences any symptoms like numbness, pain, swelling, etc. wearing the socks shall be discontinued.

The HA-1 socks are made from cotton, acrylic, polyurethane, nylon and polyester.

The HA-1 socks can be machine washed while inside a laundry bag. The white socks have a few black portions and the manufacturer alerts that the dye may bleed. The socks shall not be placed in a dryer.

TRYING THEM OUT

On the ZAMST website, the sizing chart shows the SMALL sock size for shoe size 8.5 (European 39). Yet those socks were too tight for me. Instead I got the MEDIUM sock size and on the packing unit, I noticed that MEDIUM covers from 7.5 to 9.5 (European 38 - 41). So there is a sizing discrepancy between the ZAMST website and the actual packing unit. ZAMST recommends selecting the larger size, if a person's foot size falls between two sizes.

When I first tried on the ZAMST HA-1 socks, I noticed how tight they were especially around the arch.

Due to the portions of non-stretchy material, I first pull the sock over the toes with the remaining fabric bunched up in the arch area. Then I pull the cuff up over the heel and I tuck the heel portion in place.

INITIAL SUMMARY

Putting on these tight-fitting socks is a bit more effort than putting on any of my normal (loose-fitting) pairs of socks. I noticeably feel the inside arch lift from the stiff band around the foot arch. So far I have only worn the socks a bit around the house to get a feel for their tightness. I am looking forward to testing the HA-1 socks during my conditioning activities at the gym and on walks in my sneakers. Especially during intensive gym cardio work-outs I have been bandaging my feet and I am keen to find out if the HA-1 socks will improve my foot problems during jumping and running activities.
Thank you to ZAMST and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this lightweight pair of arch supporting socks.
Marina Batzke

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Nippon Sigmax Co. LTD gear