Reviews > Clothing > Underwear > Coldpruf Classic Base Layers > Test Report by Brian Hartman

COLDPRUF CLASSIC MERINO WOOL BASE LAYERS
TEST SERIES BY BRIAN HARTMAN
November 05, 2017

NAME: Brian Hartman
EMAIL: bhart1426ATyahooDOT com
LOCATION: Central Indiana
GENDER: M

I have been backpacking for over 20 years throughout Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and most recently in Western USA. In addition to backpacking I enjoy family camping with my wife and kids and being outdoors in general. I would describe myself as a mid weight backpacker. I use fairly light weight equipment and gear but still like to bring more than the bare essentials with me while on the trail.

Manufacturer: ColdPruf IMAGE 1 IMAGE 2
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.coldpruf.com/

Specifications for Crew Top
Material: 100% Merino wool, 17.5 Micron
Silk Fabric Weight: 5 oz (170 g)
MSRP: Crew Top US $55.00
Listed Weight: N/A
Measured Weight: 6.5 oz (184 g)
Available Colors: Commando, Black
Available Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, 2X-Large
Size Testing: Medium, 38 - 40 in (97 - 102 cm)
Raglan shape shoulder yoke
Flat seamed for smooth fit
Drop-tail for secure fit
Tagless label

Specifications for Pant
Material: 100% Merino wool, 17.5 micron
Silk Fabric Weight: 5 oz (170 g)
MSRP: Pant US $55.00
Listed Weight: N/A
Measured Weight: 5.3 oz (150 g)
Available Colors: Commando, Black
Available Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, 2X-Large
Size Testing: Medium, 32 - 34 in (81 - 86 cm)
Flat seamed for comfort
Tagless label

The ColdPruf Classic Merino Wool crew top and pants (hereafter called thermals, crew top or top, and pants or bottoms) are thermal underwear designed to be worn next to the skin for increased insulation and to draw moisture away from the skin in cold weather. They are single-layer jersey-knit with silk weight merino wool that is 5oz (170g per manufacturer) per square meter of fabric. They are designed to be moisture-wicking and odor-fighting. They are also tagless and have flat seams for increased comfort.

IMAGE 6 The top has a drop-tail to help keep cold air out and a raglan shape shoulder yoke (manufacturer description) which is a design that moves the seam off the shoulder. They also have elastic cuffs to keep cold air from coming in at the wrists. The pants have a Comfort logo elastic waistband and elastic cuffs to keep cold air out and keep them from pulling up at the ankles.

ColdPruf uses a color-coded rating system called ThermaChoice that helps customers choose the best product for their needs. In this regard, the Classic Series silk weight base layers are categorized for cold or very cold temperatures with medium to high activity.

Regarding the manufacturer, ColdPruf is a fourth generation, family owned company that started making apparel in 1914. Today they only make base layers and the Classic series top and bottom that I am testing is one of 15 different series they produce. Their products are designed, knit, finished, and cut in North Carolina and sewn in Mexico. ColdPruf's product line includes 4 base layers made of various fabric blends but the Classic series is the only one that is made from 100% Merino wool.

The ColdPruf thermals arrived in a letter-sized UPS envelope. When I first saw the envelope on my doorstep, I thought it was for my wife because I was expecting a larger, heavier package. However as soon as I saw my name on the envelope and the North Carolina return address, which is where ColdPruf is located, I knew my thermals had arrived.

I quickly opened the envelope and inspected the crew top and pants. They were in new condition with impeccable workmanship and no snags, holes or loose stitching. I chose the color black for both items and really like the look although they will be covered up by clothing most of the time so it probably doesn't matter.

Classic Merino wool top
The top is a crew neck made with single layer merino wool. It is soft and smooth to the touch and it has some natural stretch to it as well. It has flat seams throughout and the shoulder area has what ColdPruf refers to as a modified raglan yoke design. This design moves the seams away from the top of the shoulder for added comfort. I have another thermal top that has regular shoulder seams so I'm anxious to test this top while wearing a backpack to see how it feels. As for sizing, I ordered a medium and the neck is 6 in (15.3 cm) in diameter. The sleeves from shoulder to cuff are 24.5 in (62 cm) in length and the length of the crew from top to bottom is 25 in (63.5 cm) including the tail, which should help keep it tucked into my pants. As a bonus, ColdPruf uses tagless labels, which is great since there is no tag to stick out or irritate my skin.

Classic Merino wool pant
The pant has a soft, smooth feel same as the top with no hint of itchiness whatsoever. It also has flat seams and is tagless, just like the crew top. In addition, the crotch area has a gusset design for added comfort. The waist is 14 in (35.6 cm) unstretched and the waistband on the pant is 1.25 in (3.2 cm) wide. In size medium the pant is 37 in (94 cm) long and has an inseam of 24 in (61 cm).

IMAGE 3IMAGE 4IMAGE 5

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

The hang tags gave a brief description of the base layers. I also found care instructions on the website as well as on the product labels. The instructions read as follows: Turn inside out before washing. Machine wash cold with like colors on gentle cycle. Do not bleach. May steam or iron at low setting if needed. May be dry cleaned. I also found warranty information on ColdPruf's website which states that they will replace the garments free of charge and without question if at any time they don't live up to expectations.

TRYING IT OUT

ColdPruf describes the Classic series base layers as having a snug, comfortable fit. With that in mind, I chose size Medium for both when ordering and am very glad I did. They fit perfectly. They are soft and smooth against my skin and they are snug, but they also have enough stretch that they are very comfortable to wear. Being silk weight they are thin enough that I can see through them, but I don't foresee that as a problem as long as they are durable. I wore them briefly around the house and look forward to cold weather and the opportunity to put them through their paces.

SUMMARY

The ColdPruf Classic base layers are lightweight, Merino wool thermals. They are well designed, meticulously sewn and I look forward to testing their durability and effectiveness at keeping me warm, dry and comfortable.

This concludes my Initial Report for the ColdPruf Merino wool base layers. Thanks to ColdPruf and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test these items. Please stop back in two months for my Field Report.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Coldpruf gear
Read more gear reviews by Brian Hartman