Reviews > Clothing > Underwear > Coldpruf Classic Base Layers > Test Report by Jenna Steffensen

ColdPruf
Classic Merino Wool Base Layers

Test Series by Jenna Steffensen
Initial Report: November 19, 2017

Reviewer Information

Name:  Jenna Steffensen
Gender: Female
Height: 5' 5" (1.65 Meters)
Weight: 140 Pounds (64 Kilograms)
Email address: jennasteffensen ATgmailDOTcom
Location: Fernie, British Columbia, Canada

Backpacking Background

I recently started backpacking after moving to the Canadian Rockies last fall. I have been on two short (3-day) backpacking trips but I am very experienced in day hikes and car camping. I’ve hiked mainly in the Utah desert and Canadian Rockies. I still have many trips planned this year in the Rockies (smoke dependent!). I’m looking for the best gear that’s light and durable enough for the Rockies. My current set up is a 2-person tent, a white gas backpacking stove to cook, gravity filters, and hefty trail boots.

November 19, 2017

Available Colour: Black
Available Sizes: S, M, L, XL, 2XL
Size Testing: S

Product Description

The ColdPruf Classic Merino Wool top and pant are single layer base layers that are typically worn underneath outer clothing to keep warm, dry, and comfortable. Both the top and bottom are made from 100% Merino wool which is a fabric that has the ability to last long with lots of use, be very comfortable next to skin, and is naturally hypoallergenic. The top and bottom have flat seams and are tagless to aid in the comfort factor. The labels printed on the inside of both items say to turn inside out before washing in the machine on cold with like colours and lay flat to dry.
top.JPGbottom.JPG

The top has a feminine fit with princess seams which means there are long rounded seams sewn into the top to add a tailored fit of a woman's shape. The shirt also has a countoured waistline and hemmed cuffs.

The pants have a comfort waistband to keep them in place and hemmed cuffs. They also have gussets and front and back rise to provide superior comfort and fit.

Initial Impressions:

The ColfPruf Base Layers came in very informative packaging. I love when a company puts time and effort into creating a well-packaged item. The pant and top look to be well crafted and it seems like a lot of thought was put into creating a comfortable garment to wear. The fabric is soft to the touch and has some elasticity in it which is a convenient feature. The top fits perfectly with the sleeves going to my wrists and it falls just below my waistline. The bottoms are also the perfect length as the website stated it works well with people who are 5'3" (1.60 m) to 5'6"  (1.68 m). Size wise these base layers are spot on and are not too long like some of my other base layers. I am on the shorter side so I was glad to see the sleeves and pants both fit with no excess fabric bunching at my wrists or ankles. After trying these on straight from the packaging they were itchy. I have never owned merino wool so I am not sure yet if it is my skin that is sensitive to it or if the fabric just has that quality about it. I am going to wash it before using it out in the field and see if that makes it more comfortable or not.
I am eager to see how they perform in the field. Most base layers I own ride up a lot at the stomach and ankles. I hope to see these stay in place. I am also interested in seeing how a merino wool base layer does with the cold winters I get up here. I have only owned synthetic base layers before so this will be a huge difference. Hoping they keep me warm and comfy during their use!

Thank you to ColdPruf and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test the Classic Merino Wool Base Layers.

Read more reviews of Coldpruf gear
Read more gear reviews by Jenna Steffensen