Reviews > Clothing > Underwear > Coldpruf Quest Top and Bottom Base Layer > Test Report by Kurt Papke

ColdPruf Baselayers - Quest Performance

6' 4" (193 cm)
Weight
225 lbs (102 kg)
Email address
kwpapke at gmail dot com
City, State, Country Oro Valley, Arizona USA

I do most of my hiking in the desert Southwest, but occasionally get up into the Pacific Northwest and my old stomping grounds in Northern Minnesota.  I am a comfort-weight guy when it comes to most gear, trying to stay as light as possible but I don't go to extremes.  I typically sleep in silk baselayers, but I like the warmth of polyester.

Product Information

ColdPruf is a division of the Indera Mills company.  The Quest Performance baselayers are a member of their synthetic garment line.  They also manufacture merino wool versions.  Products included in this test are both the men's pants and men's crew top.

Product Information
Size tested/used
XL
Also available in sizes S, M, L, 2XL
Color tested/used
The only color available is Black
MSRP
Pants and crew top: USD $32 each

Listed
Measured
Weight
The website provides only a
fabric weight of 6.5 oz (184 g)
Pants: 8.1 oz (230 g) for size XL
Top: 11.8 oz (335 g) for size XL

Features listed by the manufacturer include:
  • ColdPruf Technical Fiber Polyester with SILVADUR Intelligent Freshness.  This is a Dow Chemical technology for binding silver ions to fabric fibers, often used in products that are seldom thoroughly cleaned.  Sounds like my base layers ;-)
  • 85% Microfiber Polyester, 15% Spandex.  The fabric has a fair amount of stretch to it.
  • Tagless, and flat seams for added comfort.  Nice not to have to cut off the tags.
  • Country of provenance: fabrics are made in the USA, sewing is done in Mexico.
  • Single layer, brushed inside.  Yes, the inside fabric is nice and smooth.  Feels like it should wick well.

Initial Use

cp01I put on both the top and bottoms.  Fit was OK: the sleeves could be a little longer (see photo at left).  I like to buy a Large Tall size in this type of garment, and push up to an XL when the Tall is not available to get sleeve length.  It should be OK as long as the garment does not shrink in the wash, which I would not expect it to.  The length of the bottoms was adequate.

I immediately noticed a sensation of warmth when I put these on - they should keep me nice and warm on cold desert winter nights.  The garments are very soft and smooth to the touch with non of the scratchiness you can get with wool.  The zipper on the crew top worked very smoothly with no snags.

They look very nice - I would not be embarrassed to wear the bottoms out in public under a pair of shorts as running tights, nor would I have any reservations about wearing the crew top as a shirt out in public.  In fact, ColdPruf mentions on their website that these are apropos for "active and casual wear".

Summary

So far so good.  I am excited about getting them out into the backcountry on a cold night and see how toasty they keep me.

Likes:
  1. Lots of warmth for the weight
  2. Smooth fabric, doesn't feel scratchy
  3. Zipper on crew top is nice for ventilation
Areas for concern:
  1. How bad will it smell after a few nights on the trail?
  2. Fits well now, hopefully it will not shrink in the laundry and turn into mid-sleeves and capris.

Thanks to BackpackGearTest and ColdPruf Baselayers for the opportunity to test the Quest Performance garments.

Read more reviews of Coldpruf gear
Read more gear reviews by Kurt Papke