Reviews > Clothing > Underwear > Coldpruf Quest Top and Bottom Base Layer > Test Report by Theresa Lawrence

COLD PRUF QUEST BASE LAYERS

Name: Theresa Lawrence
Email: theresa_newell AT yahoo DOT com
Location: Sparwood, British Columbia, Canada
Gender: Female
Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
Weight: 130 lb (59 kg)
Shoe Size:9

I have more than 20 years of backpacking experience. Day hikes and 2-3 day backpacking trips take place on most weekends throughout the year while longer trips are only occasional. I backpack predominantly in mountain terrain (Coast Range, Cascades and Canadian Rockies) with the goal of summiting peaks. Activities I use my gear with include mountaineering, ski touring, rock climbing, kayaking, biking, trail running, Search and Rescue and overseas travel. I like my gear to be reasonably light, convenient and simple to use though I would not claim to be a lightweight hiker.

Initial Report - November 29, 2017

Images taken from manufacturer's website

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Manufacturer: Indera Mills, Co.
Manufacturer's URL: www.coldpruf.com
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Made In:Mexico

MSRP:  Top $40 USD, Bottom $32 USD
Measured Weight:
Top 230 g (8.1 oz), Bottom 190 g (6.7 oz)
Sizes Available:
Size Tested:
S, M, L, XL, 2XL
M
Colors Available: Black
Materials Used: 85% ColdPruf Technical Fiber (Polyester with SILVADUR Intelligent Freshness)
15% Spandex
Care Instructions:Machine wash in warm water. Tumble dry on low.

DESCRIPTION

The women's Quest base layers are a mid-weight synthetic layer with a fitted design. The top features a metal zipper with plastic teeth as shown in the photo. It also has thumb holes in the cuffs and a drop-tail hem. The branded Technical Fiber that makes up this garment claims to manage moisture and control odor and bacterial growth. Both the top and bottoms are engineered tagless and with flat seams.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS & TRYING THEM ON

I was delighted with the arrival of my base layer package that came with some bonus swag: a striped ColdPruf beanie and an adhesive bandage dispenser containing sterile bandages and hand sanitizer. This was a fun surprise and will come in handy this winter.

But more to the point, the base layers look great and were smooth and soft to the touch. Donning them confirmed they were equally soft and comfortable to wear. They are indeed fitted, which I like in a base layer and the length of the legs, arms and shirt hem are all of an ideal length for me.

Unfortunately, I find the thumb holes to be uncomfortably small. The fabric is stretchy so the holes do get larger with stretch, but I fear the seams that make up the thumb hole are under a lot of strain when my thumb is housed in them. In fact there is some evidence already of some pulled thread at the seam junction. Scanning the garments further, while overall the engineering appears to be well put together, there are a few loose threads here and there.

The zipper slides well and has a zipper carriage that allows comfort to the neck when worn fully zipped up. The neck size seems to be a good fit for me hugging my neck with enough room to not feel constrained when fully zipped.

The waist band fits comfortably just under my navel and isn't too tight or too loose.

SUMMARY

My first impressions are overall positive.

I like the smooth and soft feel and the fit is comfortable for active movement.

The only 'fit' issue I have is with the thumbs. They seem a bit small and I worry about over-stretching them and blowing out the seam. We'll see if this presents itself in the field.

I'm also curious about the claims of odor control. My experience with synthetics has always been 'smelly', so I will be very interested in what the field observations dictate.

Soon enough and roughly in two months I will have tales from the backcountry.

I'd like to thank Indera Mills, Co. and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to take part in this test series.

Read more reviews of Coldpruf gear
Read more gear reviews by Theresa Lawrence