Reviews > Cook Gear > Cook Sets > GSI Outdoors Explorer Stove Kit > Test Report by Kurt Papke

GSI Explorer Cook Kit

Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
Weight: 230 lbs (105 kg)
Email address: kwpapke (at) gmail (dot) com
City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona USA

I do most of my hiking in the desert Southwest, but occasionally get up into the Pacific Northwest and my old stomping grounds in Northern Minnesota.  I am a comfort-weight guy when it comes to most gear, trying to stay as light as possible but I don't go to extremes.  I cook several hot meals per day while on the trail, so I use my cook kits a lot.

Product Facts

This product is not yet on the market and did not appear on the GSI website at the time this Initial Report was published, so there may be some uncertainty as to naming, pricing, claimed weights, etc.  The product I am evaluating includes a pot with lid, retractable spork and a stove that fits on a gas canister.

Product Information
Glacier Stainless 1.1 L Boiler + Glacier Camp Stove
Country of manufacture
China
MSRP
Unknown, product not yet priced
Warranty
30 day return policy
Materials
Pot: stainless steel
Stove: unknown, but mix of metal and plastic
Measured dimensions/weight

Weight
Dimensions
Stove
6.2 oz (175 g)
5 in W x 3 in H (127 mm W x 76 mm H)
Pot
11.7 oz (334 g)
4.6 in W x 4.6 in H (117 mm W x 117 mm H)
exclusive of handle
Spork
0.6 oz (17 g)
3.5 x 1.75 x 0.625 in (89 x 44 x 16 mm)
Total
18.6 oz (526 g)
Stove and spork stow in pot,
so ostensibly same as pot dimensions

Initial Inspection

g01

When I opened up the box and took the cook kit out, my first impression was "this is one of those pieces of gear that is going to last forever".  The pot seems sturdy enough that I could use it for a camp stool.  The handle is very robust (see photo above left), I think I'll be able to lift a full pot of food without worrying about dropping anything.  The burner on the stove is huge, but the pot is pretty wide so it should distribute the heat well.

In fact, the burner may be a little over-sized.  When I fired it up to do a boil time test, the flame extends well past the outer edge of the pot when the gas adjustment is fully open.  See photo at upper right.  I had to turn down the gas a bit to keep the flame on the pot bottom.

The only thing that feels a little flimsy is the flame adjustment - it is made of thin wire and flexes pretty easily.  It is not going to break, but it just seemed so much less "beefy" than the rest of the system that it struck me as odd.

The pot has nice markings on the inside for both metric and Imperial volumes.  See photo above at lower right.  The markings are large and bold enough to be easy to see and read.  The stove is designed well to keep the pot in-place.  As is visible in the above photo at lower left, the stand is serrated and sloped so that the pot stays nicely in place and does not have any tendency to slide off.

With the size of the pot and stove it seems like it would be a good idea to use 250 g (8.8 oz) fuel canisters for stability purposes.  I have a canister stabilizer for the small 100 g (3.5 oz) canisters, but I am concerned that when the pot is full of liquid or food the high center of mass will make things tipsy.

Finally, I did a quick boil time test with the standard 16 oz (473 ml) amount of water at 70 F (21 C).  Time to rolling boil was 3.5 minutes, a respectable time.  This was with the burner turned down just slightly from its maximum so the flame did not extend past the pot bottom.

Summary

I am looking forward to getting this cook kit out into the backcountry and making some meals with it.

Good Things:

• Sturdy design, it's not going to fall apart.
  • Pot marries well with the stove, no tendency to slide off.
  • Distinct pot volume markings for easy measuring.

Concerns:

• Somewhat heavy.  Not a problem for car camping, but has a little extra heft for backpacking.

Check back in a few months for my report from the field.

Many thanks to GSI Outdoors and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.

Read more reviews of GSI Outdoors gear