Reviews > Cook Gear > Cook Sets > Mons Peak 123 UL HE Cook set > Test Report by Morgan Lypka

Mons Peak IX 123 HE UL Cook Set with Stove HP BR

HEIGHT: 5’4” (1.6 m)
WEIGHT: 110 lb (50 kg)
EMAIL: m DOT lypka AT yahoo.com
City, Province, Country: Kimberley, British Columbia (B.C.), Canada

Backpacking Background: I started backpacking 2 years ago, when I moved to the Rocky Mountains. Most of my backpacking ventures are 1 to 3 days long, typically around Western Canada. I get cold quickly, and handle heat well. My backcountry trips involve hiking, trail running, ski touring and cross-country skiing. I am getting into kayaking, rock climbing and fly fishing. I camp with a lightweight 3-person, 3-season tent and am starting to hammock and winter camp. Decreasing my packed weight in the backcountry is a developing focus of mine (fitting everything was the first).

PRODUCT INFORMATION AND SPECS
Manufacturer: Mons Peak IX
Manufacturer’s Website: https://www.monspeakix.com
MSRP: $119.95 USD
Listed and Measure Weight, Stove - 3.6 oz (103 g)
Listed and Measured Canister Weights, respectively:
  • Pot 1 HE UL (Small - 25.4 fl. oz / 0.75 L) - 5.4 oz (154 g), 5.4 oz (154 g)
  • Pan/Cover for Pot 1 (14.0 fl. oz / 0.4 L) - 3.3 oz (94 g), 3.2 (91 g)
  • Pot 2 HE UL (Large - 43.9 fl. oz / 1.3 L) - 6.6 oz (188 g), 6.6 oz (188 g)
  • Pan/Cover for Pot 2 (20.6 fl. oz / 0.6 L) - 4 oz (114 g), 3.8 (108 g)
Material: hard anodized aluminum alloy, stainless steel, elastomers
Listed Boil Times:
  • Pot 1 - 1 minute 20 seconds for 1/2 litre water
  • Pot 2 - 2 minutes 40 seconds for 1 litre water
Design: High Power (HP) and Breeze Resistant (BR)
Output: 10,200 Btu (3000 W Max)
Fuel: Standard canister isobutane-propane mix
Control: fully adjustable flame, from simmer to max
Measured Sizes:
  • Pot 1 - 9.6 cm (3.8 in) height, 12.9 cm (5.1 in) diameter
  • Pan/Cover for Pot 1 - 5.8 cm (2.3 in) height, 12 cm (4.7 in) diameter
  • Pot 2 - 12.7 cm (5 in) height, 15 cm (5.9 in) diameter
  • Pan/Cover for Pot 2 - 6.5 cm (2.6 in) height, 14 cm (5.5 in) diameter
  • Stove (carry), listed and measured - 2.8 in x 3.75 in (70 mm x 96 mm)
  • Nested stove, both pots and both pans in mesh bag - 19.8 cm (7.8 in) height x 14 cm (5.5 in) diameter

DESCRIPTION
The stove and pots came fully nested together as one unit (that's one stove, two pots, and two pans/covers), inside a mesh drawstring bag - compact! Specs were provided on the side of the box, and instructions were provided inside. The stove itself came in a little plastic black box, inside of the nested pot system.

The Trail 123 HE (high efficiency) UL (ultra-light) Cook Set is intended for backpacking and camping use, as indicated on the manufacturer's website. The stove is breeze resistant. The pot and pan set is also modular and stackable, allowing for several options - minimalist, 1 Person, 2 Person or 3 Person. The stove and fuel canister fit inside of the pot system. Each pot and pan has two rubber coated handles which wrap around the pot/pan when not in use. The stove comes with pot supports that fold together to take up less space when not in use. The stove is intended sit below one of the pots, holding up the pot with its supports, with the other end of the stove attaching to the top of a fuel canister. There is a flame control lever which controls the amount of gas exiting the nozzle at a time.

Nested system (2 pots, 2 pans/covers, 1 stove)

Stove in container

Lined up system

Dipped pan, flush cover

Mesh bag loose ends

Small spot missing coating

The nesting system is efficient. When all packaged together however, there is still some space so the pots and pans rattle around a bit. I noticed some grinding when I moved the handles on the pots and pans in and out, although they do move easily. There was also a little bit of excess glue that I noticed on one of the handles, which had a bit of fuzz sticking to it. This definitely doesn't bother me, but maybe fades my trust slightly in the quality of detail put into the fabrication of this system. I also found a couple spots on the pots and pans where it appears that the coating has been scratched off, or is missing. There were a couple loose ends on the mesh bag near the drawstring (not hindering performance by any means at this point, just a detail).

When I tried sitting the respective pan/cover on its pot, the pan would dip slightly into the pot. The pan/cover sat flatter and more secure when it was flipped the other way and used as a cover. The stove seems straightforward with not a lot of excess futures, which is nice. I have not yet tried to light it up with a canister, but my impression from the instructions is that a lighter is not required, and that the flame control must simply be turned. However, my friend has a similar set up that has a push button to trigger the flame (and the Mons Peak IX does not), so we will see. A question I have is whether or not only heat exchanger pots will work with this stove, so this is something that I will look for in my upcoming trials.

I'm very content that the fuel itself also fits into the nesting system. I'm used to a liquid fuel stove that comes in many parts, smells heavily of fuel, and is a bit messy. It's nice that the 123 Cookset with Stove is so compact.

SUMMARY
Pros
  • nesting system, for carrying (compact)
  • straightforward stove system
Cons
  • unequal nesting system, for cooking (pan doesn't sit flat on pot in either small or large setup)
  • not entirely impressed with quality yet (loose ends on mesh bag, excess glue on handle, grinding when moving handles in and out, couple spots missing coating)

Field Report

Trips:

Location - East Kootenays (southern part of Canadian Rockies) Mountain Hike, B.C. - path was in and out of trees
Activity - Day hiking
Length and Elevation Gain - 4 km (2 mi) with 600 m (2000 ft) gain
Temperature and Weather - 8 C (46 F) and sunny
Cooking elevation - n/a

Location - Cranbrook Mountain (Southern Rockies), B.C.
Activity - Evening Hike accessed via Mountain Bike
Length and Elevation Gain - 10 km (6 mi) and 800 m (2500 ft) gain
Temperature and Weather - -8 C (18 F), snow on ground, overcast and windy at peak
Cooking elevation - 2060 m (6800 ft)

Location - Enderby Cliffs, Okanagan Region, B.C.
Activity - Day hiking
Length and Elevation Gain - 12 km (8 mi) with 800 m (2500 ft) gain
Temperature and Weather - 0 C (32 F) and rainy near base, snowy up above
Cooking elevation - 1200 m (4000 ft)

On the first trip I took it on, I didn't realize I needed a lighter (some similar models have an igniter mechanism included, and having not looked at the instructions too closely I didn't realize that I needed to bring a light for this one). Looking at the instructions, it's not actually obvious that a lighter is needed, the instruction step just says 'start fire,' but doesn't say how. It would be clearer if the instructions stated that a lighter was required. Fortunately, this was just a day hike and the stove was going to be a nice luxury for some tea, not an essential. The stove fit nicely in my daypack (10 L / 610 in3). The stove in the daypack was how I transported it while bike accessing another hike as well, and no complaints there. I was only able to fit the fuel canister (8 oz) and stove in the pots when using the larger pots as the shell (I couldn't fit both stove and fuel if smaller pots nested inside as well). However, with the fuel canister inside the large pots, and the stove sitting on top of the pots, the little drawstring bag still closed.

There is a period in between where the stove isn't connected to fuel and where it's fully connected that gas leaks out - the leaking is heard as well. When unscrewing the lid, gas dripped on my fingers (which were quite numb at that point) and I couldn't tell if it was a hot or cold burn; it turns out it was the cold gas. There were no lasting impacts from this. I now untwist with gloves on, hold away from me and keep my fingers away from the connection. When it did leak out, I was holding it sideways, so I can't confirm that this would happen holding it upright.

I have boiled noodles, melted snow and boiled water for tea with the stove so far. I drank tea while noodles were boiling, and boiling finished before I could finish my tea - very nice boiling pace. I didn't time the boil, but it was definitely under two minutes for the medium pot with the lid on. I also tried without the lid on, and this was maybe about two minutes to boil. I also melted snow in a pot on top of another pot that was boiling water - this was an efficient way to melt snow for more water. It did work, but the pots/pans didn't sit flush, so I had to be cautious that it was appropriately balanced on its angle.

The pot itself cooled down quickly enough that I could hold it with my bare hands, but the contents still stayed warm-ish. The rubberized handles are also very nice; they make it easy to adjust the pot and take it on and off while the pot itself might be hot. However, the fuel canister has to be on a very flat surface so that the pot wouldn't slide off the stove. I ate the noodles and drank the broth without a spoon in the small shallow pan. It was a little tricky eating the noodles this way, but I was able to tip the pan enough and slurp them up. I needed a spork or fork to transfer the noodles, no easy spot for pot to pot transfer.

I only went down to about -8 C (18 F) with the stove, but there were no issues with it working in this temperature. I used the stove at two peaks, which were both open to the wind (although it wasn't blustering either of those days). I tried to place a backpack in front of the stove to eliminate some of the wind while the stove was on, but this didn't seem to be necessary to start the stove.

Remarks:
  • Very pleased with the boil time
  • Wish it had fire starter button
  • Works only ok to do a 'double-boil' system; pots don't sit flush
  • Pots/pans don't hold heat for too long after removed from heat (I wish they had an insulating function)
  • No hook(s)/edge on stove to hold pot/pan

Please come back in two months’ time to read about more trials with the Mons Peak IX Trail 123 Cook Set with Stove. Thank you BackpackGearTest.org and Mons Peak IX for the fun opportunity to trial this stove and pot set.

Read more reviews of Mons Peak IX gear