Reviews > Cook Gear > Cooking Accessories > Swiss Advance Kitchen Accessories > Test Report by Marina Batzke

SWISS ADVANCE
TEST SERIES BY MARINA BATZKE
November 08, 2017

NAME: Marina Batzke
EMAIL: mbbp2013 (at) yahoo (dot) com
LOCATION: Los Angeles County, California, USA
GENDER: F

I converted from day hiking and car camping to backpacking in 2013. My backpacking trips are one or two weekend excursions per month in Southern California. The locations range from Joshua Tree National Park desert areas in the cooler months to mountainous elevations in the summer months. I always hike with a group and like the gear talk in camp. While I am looking for ways to lighten my pack, I am not an ultra-lighter: I like sleeping in a tent with a sleeping bag on a comfortable pad. In January 2017, I added snowshoeing to my winter activities.

Manufacturer: Think Industry Ltd., Switzerland
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.swiss-advance.com/
Pocket Knife Crono 38G
MSRP: US$48.00
Listed Weight: 1.35 oz (38 g)
Measured Weight: 1.35 oz (38 g) plus 0.1 oz (4 g) for pouch
Listed Dimensions: 3.74 x 0.63 x 0.24 in (95 x 16 x 6 mm)
Measured Dimensions: 3.74 x 0.63 x 0.24 in (95 x 16 x 6 mm)

Hippus Picnic Knife + Fork Set 26G
MSRP: US$14.01
Listed Weight Knife: 0.49 oz (14 g)
Measured Weight Knife: 0.46 oz (13 g)
Listed Weight Fork: 0.42 oz (12 g)
Measured Weight Fork: 0.39 oz (11 g)
Listed Handle Dimensions: 3.74 x 0.71 x 0.24 in (95 x 18 x 6 mm)
Measured Handle Dimensions: 3.74 x 0.71 x 0.24 in (95 x 18 x 6 mm)
Crono Pocket Knife
Hippus Knife and Fork

The Swiss Advance Crono Pocket Knife (Model 38G), as well as the Hippus Picnic Knife/Fork Set of 2 arrived attached by cable tie to a 3.94 x 7.87 in (10 cm x 20 cm) cardboard. An advertising hang-tag with promotional info on the pocket knife was attached to that cardboard with a red-white fabric string. Additionally a black fabric pouch with a black fabric string was attached. On the front, each cardboard has Swiss Advance Made in Switzerland imprinted plus the product name in German and English. On the back side, each cardboard has a product image and a detailed product description both in German and English.

The Swiss Advance Hippus Picnic Knife/Fork Set of 2 (Model 26G) also arrived attached by cable tie to a 3.94 x 7.87 in (10 cm x 20 cm) cardboard.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

The Crono pocket knife is made of stainless cutlery and chromium steel. On the manufacturer's website, I find cleaning instructions. I shall wipe up spills promptly and clean the pocket knife with a damp cloth, then wipe it dry. To renew its shine, I may polish it with lemon oil or orange oil. The manufacturer recommends using a multi-surface cleaner or stainless steel cleaner to remove any spots.

The Hippus picnic and travel cutlery fork + knife each have a PCTG copolyester body with stainless steel fork tines and knife blade. The knife shall be used with CAUTION, as its blade is very sharp, the manufacturer alerts. The manufacturer recommends to simply retract the fork or blade into the plastic body after use and later on at home put the set in its closed position into the dishwasher. This retracted position will prevent the knife blade from getting blunt.

TRYING IT OUT

The Crono pocket knife is described as light and flat, making it ideal to be carried along always. It is indeed a very lightweight and compact pocket knife with a ton of features. I can easily fan out its five arms without having to use my fingernails; with the Crono I simply push out the arms with two fingers. The spread-out tool shows me more features than I ever dreamed of needing or knowing of: screwdriver, bottle opener, fish scaler, fork, 2 squares, 3 hexagon openings, bradawl + sewing, knife blade, nail drawer, cm scale, screw wrench. I can insert the pocket knife into its black fabric pouch (1.1 x 3.35 in / 28 x 85 mm) with an 8.66 in (22 cm) long cord.
The Hippus fork and knife set is extremely lightweight and very small in its retracted position. The Hippus fork has a transparent plastic body, while the Hippus knife has a red plastic body. I like that these two items have different colors, as it makes it easy to grab for example the bright red knife if I want to cut something without confusing it with the identically sized fork. To open the fork or the knife, I press on a white button and slide the button 2.25 in (57 mm) along its track until it ends in the most entended position. I thereby project the metal fork or metal knife blade out of the plastic body and I make the fork and the knife 6 in (15.2 cm) long. That is the use position. The knife blade is 2.25 in (57 mm) exposed length and has a round knife point. The exposed fork metal is also 2.25 in (57 mm) long of which 0.75 in (19 mm) is the length of the three tines.

SUMMARY

The Swiss Advance Crono Pocket Knife and the Hippus Picnic Knife + Fork set are all very lightweight, small and therefore easy items to carry on outdoor adventures.

I look forward to using these handy items on my upcoming outings. Thank you to Think Industry Ltd. and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test these innovative Swiss Advance items.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Swiss Advance gear