Reviews > Cook Gear > Cooking Accessories > Swiss Advance Kitchen Accessories > Test Report by Morgan Lypka

SWISS ADVANCE UTENSILS

HEIGHT: 5’4” (1.6 m)
WEIGHT: 110 lb (50 kg)
EMAIL: m DOT lypka AT yahoo.com
City, Province, Country: Fernie, British Columbia (B.C.), Canada

Backpacking Background: I started backpacking 2 years ago, when I moved to the Rocky Mountains. I am originally from Saskatchewan, Canada, where I have done overnight canoe trips. Most of my backpacking ventures are 1 to 3 days long. I get cold quickly, but handle heat well. My backcountry trips involve hiking, trail running, ski touring and cross-country skiing. I am getting into kayaking, rock climbing and fly fishing. This year, I started solo camping. I camp with a lightweight 3-person, 3-season tent. Decreasing my packed weight in the backcountry is a developing focus of mine (fitting everything was the first).

PRODUCT INFORMATION AND SPECS
Manufacturer’s Website: http://www.swiss-advance.com

MINI BBQ TONGS SAIGA
MSRP: $12.55 USD
Listed & Measured Weight: 38 g (1.3 oz)
Listed & Measured Dimensions: 175 x 15 mm (6.9 x 0.6 in)
Material: Stainless steel
Listed and Measured Material Thickness: 1mm (0.04 in)

POCKET KNIFE CRONO N5
MSRP: $48 USD
Listed Weight: 41 g (1.4 oz)
Measured Weight: 41 g (1.4 oz) + 4 g (0.1 oz) for pouch
Listed Dimensions: 95 x 16 x 6 mm (3.7 x  0.6 x 0.2 in)
Measured Dimensions: 94 x 16 x 5 mm (3.7 x 0.6 x 0.2 in) ; Pouch: 8.5 x 3 mm (0.3 x 0.1 in)
Material: Stainless steel
Listed & Measured Material Thickness: 1 mm (0.04 in)

DESCRIPTION
The Pocket Knife Crono N5 (Crono) and the Mini BBQ Tongs Saiga (Saiga) came on neat little cardboard pieces, with descriptions on the backside. The Crono also came with a little booklet that talked about where the knife was made and its uses. The Crono also came with a pocket bag with a cord. Crono has 5 separate pieces attached at the base, that together provide a bottle opener, fish scaler, wire stripper, cm-scale, hexagon (4x), wing nut opener, cheese knife blade, bradawl and sewing, square (2x), fork, and a screwdriver. The website gives direction on how to cut with a knife, which I think is a nice touch. The knife only spreads open one way, which seems like a good safety feature. Saiga comes in two pieces, two forks, that can be slid together perpendicularly to form tongs. Both items are smooth to touch and thin, as is shown in the specs.

The two items are both very light and compact. The knife is very flat. It was difficult to get the knife in the bag, but I assume it will stretch out. The Crono comes with many features, which makes me think it merits a drawn diagram and further explanation of how to use each feature, possibly even videos. As an example, I have never scaled a fish (I wouldn't mind trying this), but I'll have to go online to find out what a fish scaler looks like and then decipher which one that is on the Crono. I am pumped that the Crono comes with a fork, as I hadn't yet seen a pocket knife with a fork. I also like that the blade length is under airplane guidelines, so that I can bring it carry on if I choose. I also am a cheese fan, so I love that it comes with a cheese knife. The forks fit very readily together to form tongs, and the tongs seem to function well. They have stayed together as I have been imitating the squeezing motion. The points of the forks are almost as sharp as a regular fork. The thinness of the items intrigues me; I wonder if the tongs will bend at all over prolonged use.

package
Saiga and Crono with bag

SUMMARY
I look forward to testing both the tong and fork aspect of the Saiga, and using as many features as I can of the Crono. The lightness and thiness of the items is appealing.

Likes: Compact; Lightweight; Tongs are easy to put together and Crono spreads out easily; able to bring on airplanes when traveling due to short blade length; comes with a fork!

Dislikes: Very difficult to get the Crono in the bag, Would appreciate a picture diagram of exactly which feature is which on the Crono and how each feature should be used

Thank you BackpackGearTest.org and Think Industry, Ltd. for allowing me to trial the utensils in the backcountry! Stay tuned for my Field Report come two months, post some snowy kitchen adventures.

Read more reviews of Swiss Advance gear