Reviews > Cook Gear > Stoves > MSR PocketRocket 2 > Owner Review by Andrius Janusas

MSR POCKETROCKET 2
BY ANDRIUS JANUSAS
OWNER REVIEW
November 01, 2017

NAME: Andrius Janusas
EMAIL: andrius.janusas AT gmail DOT com
LOCATION: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
GENDER: M

I started backpacking when I moved to Southwestern Canada three years ago. I usually spend my weekends car camping, day hiking or on 2-3 day overnight hikes in the area. I'm a gear junkie and I don't mind investing a lot of money into high-end gear which brings me joy on every trip. I try to be as light as possible without sacrificing comfort. My backpack usually weights 11-14 kg (24.25-30.86 lb) and after every trip I revise the gear I took and think of ways how to reduce weight even more.

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Manufacturer: Cascade Designs, Inc.
Web site: https://www.msrgear.com
Product: MSR PocketRocket 2 stove
Year manufactured: 2017
MSRP: US $44.95
Weight listed: 2.6 oz (73 g)
Actual weight: 2.61 oz (74 g)
Actual weight in a hardcase: 3.70 oz (105 g)
Actual weight in a softcase: 2.85 oz (81 g)
Measured folded size: 3.15 in x 1.7 in (80 mm x 43 mm)
Measured hardcase size: 3.54 in x 2.12 in x 2 in (90 mm x 54 mm x 51 mm)
Measured softcase size: 5.31 in x 2.95 in (135 mm x 75 mm)
Measured pot supports: inner diameter of pot supports is 2 in (51 mm ) and outer diameter is 3.54 in (90 mm)
Listed nominal heat input rate: 8,200 BTU/h (8.65MJ/h or 3.9kW or 280 g/h)

DESCRIPTION

MSR PocketRocket 2 is an ultralight, fast-boiling backpacking stove. It comes with a strong plastic case as well as with a black fabric hook-and-loop pouch. This stove is compatible with EN 417 certified compressed fuel canisters which have Lindal valve. MSR recommends using only canisters with an 80% isobutane / 20% propane blend also known as MSR IsoPro.
Stove packed in soft and hard cases
The design of the stove is very simple. There are 3 small pot support legs that fold out away from the burner. The top side of each leg is serrated which helps to hold pots in place. MSR warns against using cookware with a diameter greater than 8 inches (20.3 cm), height taller than 5 inches (12.7 cm) and weight more than 8 lb (3.6 kg). The burner head has built-in WindClip windshield which is divided into three sections and should prevent the stove from blowing out in windy conditions. At the base there's a stiff and glove-friendly wire flame adjuster which allows the user to control the flame very precisely from torch to simmer. There's no built-in igniter in this model but it always starts from the first time with a lighter or fire striker which I always carry with this stove. MSR specifies a boil time of 3.5 minutes for 1 liter (33.8 fl oz) of water. I never timed it but I feel that it should be about right in warm (approx. 68 F or 20 C) conditions. However the stove's performance is highly affected by wind and takes much longer time to boil.
Stove in action

FIELD INFORMATION

Over the past 6 months I have carried my PocketRocket 2 stove on over 15 trips. Most of the trips were in Southwestern Canada mountains and one in Utah deserts. I have used the stove from sea level to 6600 ft (2010 meters) with the temperatures ranging from 28 F (-2 C) to 100 F (38 C). Weather conditions were mostly calm and dry with just a couple trips with a bit of rain and snow.

PERFORMANCE

I like eating hot meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner and most of the time I just boil water for hot drinks and freeze-dried foods. I've tried to cook rice and pasta couple times with this stove and this is where precision flame control really comes in handy. However it's worth to notice that since the flame is mostly centered in the middle of the pot it requires constant stirring when using higher heat. Also after a couple first trips I realized that stability is a huge issue as often it's quite hard to find flat ground to put the canister on. I've solved this problem by purchasing MSR Universal Canister Stand which significantly increased stability on rugged ground and this stand fits just about any size canister. It weights about 1.2 oz (34 g) and folds almost flat. And last thing to mention is that this stove doesn't perform very well in wind. WindClip windshield definitely helps to keep the stove burning in wind but the boil time increases significantly.
Stove in use

SUMMARY

MSR PocketRocket 2 is inexpensive, truly lightweight and rapid boiling stove. I take it with me on every trip I go whether it's just a day hike or a multi-day overnight trip. I don't use the hardcase in order to save some weight but I use the softcase instead which is big enough to fit the stove and a firestriker.

THINGS I LIKE

- Fast boil time
- Very lightweight
- Easy to set up and use

THINGS I DON'T LIKE

- Not very stable without canister stand
- A bit loud on high heat (sounds like a rocket)
- Legs don't open smoothly and easily anymore (I accidentally spilled some water on it and the washers on legs' hinges got rusty causing issues opening and closing legs)
Rusty stove's parts

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Cascade Designs gear