Reviews > Do It Yourself > Grangers Tent and Gear Care Kit > Test Report by Andrea Murland

Granger’s Tent + Gear Care Kit

Name: Andrea Murland
Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
Location: Elkford, British Columbia, Canada
Gender: Female
Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
Weight: 130 lb (59 kg)

I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, Europe, and Nepal. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2-3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, and prefer to be hut-based for overnight trips. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don’t consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

Initial Report – February 15, 2019

Product Information

Manufacturer: Granger’s International, Ltd.
Manufacturer's URL: www.grangers.co.uk
Year of Manufacture: 2019
MSRP: Not Listed
Volume, Tent + Gear Cleaner: 500 mL (16.9 fl oz)
Volume, Tent + Gear Repel: 500 mL (16.9 fl oz)
Weight, Expanding Sponge: 18 g (0.6 oz)

Description

The Granger’s Tent + Gear Care Kit is a kit for cleaning and restoring water repellency to outdoor gear. The kit contains three components: Tent + Gear Cleaner, Tent + Gear Repel, and a sponge.

The Tent + Gear Cleaner is for use on tents and gear, though the bottle also indicates that it could be used on outdoor furniture. The instructions on the bottle are quite straightforward: wet the fabric to be cleaned, dilute the cleaner 1:50, rub into the areas to be treated with a sponge or soft brush, and rinse. There is a caution to avoid contact with skin and eyes.

The Tent + Gear Repel comes in a spray bottle and is to be used at full strength. The bottle indicates that it adds water repellency while maintaining breathability, as well as protecting against UV. The instructions indicate that it should be used on clean fabric, and that the fabric should be dampened prior to application. The product is to be sprayed on, left for 2-3 minutes, and excess wiped off. Then the gear must be allowed to fully dry prior to packing it away.

The expanding sponge measures 22.6 x 11 x 4 cm (8.9 x 4.3 x 1.6 in) when expanded, though it was thinner while still in the packaging. It’s narrower in the centre, and the packaging describes it as “shaped for comfort and ease of use”.
Kit Contents

Initial Impressions

The instructions for the products seem quite straightforward. I like that a sponge was provided, so I can have a dedicated one just for my gear, and don’t have to go purchase one separately.

My primary target for these products is my 2-person tent. This is an MSR Hubba Hubba, which I purchased in 2009. The 10-year old tent has never had any cleaning done other than to rinse off sand or mud after trips. I use it with a footprint, which has seen the most rinsing. In 2018 I noticed that sections of the floor were often wet inside the tent in the morning, soaked through the footprint and fly. I hope that this product will fix it up!
Old Tent

I think that it will be difficult for me to find a place to apply the products through the winter. I can’t do it outside in the cold, and I don’t have a room in my home to do it. Maybe my building’s laundry room…

Summary

The Tent + Gear Care Kit appears to contain everything that I need to clean and renew my old tent and gear. The instructions appear straightforward and easy to follow.

Thanks to Granger's International and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to renew my tent and gear. Check back in four months to see how I've fared.

Read more reviews of Granger gear
Read more gear reviews by Andrea Murland