Reviews > Do It Yourself > Grangers Tent and Gear Care Kit > Test Report by Nancy Griffith

GRANGERS TENT AND GEAR CARE KIT
TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
January 28, 2019

NAME: Nancy Griffith
EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
LOCATION: Northern California, USA
GENDER: F

My outdoor experience began in high school with a co-ed scout group which made a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since college in Pennsylvania. I have hiked 1/4 of the Appalachian Trail and 2/3 of the Pacific Crest Trail. My typical trip is in the Sierra Nevada from a few days to a few weeks long. My base weight is lightweight at 15 lb (6.8 kg) while still using a tent, stove and quilt. Longer mileage summer trips are now stoveless.

package frontpackage backManufacturer: Grangers International Ltd.
Year of Manufacture: 2019
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.grangers-usa.com

MSRP: $35 USD retail based on Grangers Customer Service inquiry

Volume (Tent + Gear Cleaner): 500 ml (16.9 oz)
Volume (Tent + Gear Repel): 500 ml (16.9 oz)
Weight (Sponge): 1.1 oz (31 g)

Tent + Gear Cleaner ingredients: Contains

Designed and produced in England

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The Grangers Tent + Gear Care Kit is a complete gear care system for outdoor gear. The kit consists of a bottle of Tent + Gear Cleaner, a spray bottle of Tent + Gear Repel and a sponge. The cleaner is designed to clean outdoor gear (even outdoor furniture) to restore its water repellency and remove odors. The repel is the next step which is sprayed on to clean gear to add water repellency without being detrimental to breathability. A sponge is included to make the job even easier.

Grangers is a bluesign® system partner which means that they care about the environment. The bluesign® system checks the environmentally-aware credentials of an entire production chain, resulting in a product completely free from harmful substances and processes.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS & TRYING IT OUT

complete kitThe product seems to be as-advertised on the website. I plan to use it on my tent and backpack prior to my next trip in a few weeks. I'll also wash up my winter tent in preparation for a Spring snowshoe overnight. Then I should be able to report back on how the Care Kit works to protect me and my gear in rain (hopefully I'll encounter rain). I'm curious whether the Repel product leaves any residue which would tend to attract dirt and grime.

I like that a sponge is included so that I can have a fresh one dedicated to my gear rather than searching for a questionable sponge in the garage or having to run out and buy a new one. The packaging of the sponge is cool in that it is compressed down quite small for fitting inside the box. Of course, it will expand once it gets wet and become a normal sponge size.

I love that Grangers is environmentally conscious. Especially with cleaning products, I find it difficult to find something that is safe yet effective. Unlike other cleaners and care products, I don't have to wear gloves while using Grangers. That makes it easier to use and provides peace-of-mind that I'm not harming myself while caring for my gear.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

Tent + Gear Cleaner:
Instructions say to wet the fabric then dissolve 2 capfuls of cleaner into 5L (5.3 qt) of water. Then I would use this solution with the included sponge or soft brush to wipe off my gear.

Tent + Gear Repel:
After cleaning my gear and while it is still wet, I would spray the Repel product on evenly. Then I need to wait for 2-3 minutes and remove any excess with a damp sponge or cloth.

Lastly, I am to allow the fabric to completely dry before packing it away. The weather this week calls for warmth and sunshine so it should be a good time to get some cleaning done!

Sounds easy enough!

SUMMARY

The Grangers Tent + Gear Care Kit is a complete system for cleaning and restoring water repellency to outdoor gear like tents and backpacks.

Initial Likes:
Keeping gear in great condition
Water repellency
Environmentally-conscious company

Initial Concerns:
Will residue attract dirt and grime?

This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in a few months to see how the products performed on my gear in the field. Thanks to Grangers and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test out this complete care kit.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2019. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Granger gear
Read more gear reviews by Nancy Griffith