Reviews > Electronic Devices > Solar Chargers > Brunton Torpedo 2800 > Test Report by Dawn Larsen

Test Report

Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
Email address: vicioushillbilly AT gmail DOT com
Florence, South Carolina USA

Backpacking Background:
I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just in the last several years have backpacked private trails in Tennessee, Missouri and most recently South Carolina. I have been an avid car-camper and paddler in South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike hilly/rocky trails especially in Missouri (my home state) and Arkansas. I live in South Carolina and am busy checking out the terrain here with my twenty year-old son.

12 August 2014

Product Information

Manufacturer: Fenix Outdoor Group
Year of Manfacture: 2014
Website: brunton.com
MSRP N/A
Listed Features:  Charge time DC car socket: 2 to 3 hours; USB: 3 hours; AC/USB: 3 hours
Charging Capacity - 2x Smart Phone charges

Specifications:
Weight 4.75 oz (135 g)
Measured Weight
4.7 oz (133 g)
Dimensions 5 in (15.7 cm) x 1 in (2.5 cm)
Measured Dimensions: same as above
Colors: Black

Product Description

The Torpedo came in a blister pack and included the unit, a printed package, and instructions.

There are three different ports on the device, 2 USB outputs and a micro USB input.  The instructions state that to charge the device I have three options: connect a micro USB cable to a computer, connect a cell phone AC charger to the wall, or connect to a 12v car outlet.

There is an indicator button that operates 3 LED lights to show how much charge is left in the device. When I pushed the button, 2 lights illuminated.  According to the instructions, 3 lights indicate more than 90% charge, two less than 60%, and 1 indicates less than 30% charge.

Initial Observations

The instructions were difficult to find.  They are behind the unit in a paper envelope.  They were easy to miss, but I figured there had to be instructions so ended up tearing apart the packaging. The instructions are printed in five languages. Both the packaging and instructions are very difficult to read.  I have 20-15 reading vision and the tiny font makes it very difficult to see.

package back

The packaging advertised that the Torpedo was pre-charged and it was charged up to 2 LED lights.  The instructions suggest that I charge it up to full capacity before using it to charge my devices.  It also suggests that I recharge it every 4-5 months if I plan to store it. It will get a much better workout than that!

LED  port

Summary

The Torpedo is a great idea. It is small enough to fit in my purse, as well as my backpack, though a little heavy.  I plan to use it to charge my iPhone at Burning Man.  I will have access to my car and will be able to recharge, and will certainly charge it on the long drive out there.  As well, I have a few day hiking trips coming up.

My reservations regard the time that it takes to recharge the device, as well as how long it will take to charge my iPhone, and if I can truly charge my phone twice in one Torpedo recharge.

What I Like
It's small and packable.

What I Don't Like
The font on the instructions is very small making it difficult to read.

This concludes my Initial Report. Stay tuned for my Field Report in a couple of months.  Many thanks to Brunton and
BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Brunton Torpedo 2800 Charger.

Read more reviews of Brunton gear
Read more gear reviews by Dawn Larsen