Reviews > Electronic Devices > Solar Chargers > Brunton Torpedo 2800 > Test Report by Derek Hansen

pix-product-shot

Weight170 lb (77 kg)
Email Address pix-obfuscated
City, State, CountryFlagstaff, Arizona, USA

BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), each of which includes food and water. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Manufacturer Recommendations

None

Measurements
Specifications What They Say What I Say
Weight 4.75 oz (135 g) 4.7 oz (133 g)
Dimensions 5.1 x 1.1 in (13 x 2.8 cm) 5.1 x 1.1 in (13 x 2.8 cm)
Colors Black

9 Aug 2014

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

pix-in-box

The Brunton Torpedo 2800 came in a blister pack and cardboard. A user guide, printed in multiple languages, is located under the product inside the packaging. The Torpedo is cigar-shaped with a silver-tipped car adapter on one end and a black metal enclosure on the other end.

The Torpedo feels heavy in my hand, in part due to the metal enclosure and also the battery encased inside.

pix-micro-usb

There is one micro USB port, used for charging the Torpedo, located alongside a standard USB port, used for recharging other devices. On the opposite side of the micro USB port is another standard USB port. Next to the USB port is a button and three LED indicator lights.

pix-LED-usb

According to the manual, each standard USB port outputs 1 AMP of charge, so two devices can be charged simultaneously.

When the button is pushed, the LED lights indicate the charge remaining in the Torpedo: 3 dots= 100%; 2 dots = 60%; 1 dot = 30%.

pix-in-hand

The Torpedo contains "high-grade Lithium ION cells" that boast a faster charge and longer lasting charge with "no memory and minimal discharge," with "1,000 cycles at 80% capacity."

pix-charging-in-car

One of the first things I did after opening the package was to plug the Torpedo into my car. The LED lights immediately began blinking, once the car was turned on.

pix-package-back

The Brunton warranty is very generous, and very simple: "Buy it. Try it. Bust it. Return it. No questions asked."

I've been able to attempt recharging a few devices already. With the Torpedo fully charged, I plugged in my iPhone, which was hovering around 30% battery capacity, and filled it to 100% capacity. I next plugged in my iPad Mini. The iPad Mini was at 15% capacity and the Torpedo emptied out but was able to get the Mini to 30% capacity.

I charged the Torpedo again and used it in a following day to recharge my iPhone, which was at 4%. I was able to charge my iPhone from 4% to 100% but it drained the Torpedo to 30% (1 LED indicator light). I was surprised, and a little disappointed, because how low the Torpedo drained after one complete recharging.

INITIAL SUMMARY

I really like the idea of having a recharging battery device that I can plug directly into my car. This way, when I travel out to a backpacking trip, I can keep the battery topped off and have it ready when I hit the trail.

I'm a little worried about if it will live up to the claim of recharging my smart phone two times under a full charge. It also feels a little heavy for how much capacity it has. It is certainly rough and rugged, but I'd almost prefer a lighter casing for more battery capacity.

PRO—Car charging option.

CON—On the heavy side for the capacity.

I would like to thank Brunton and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.

Read more reviews of Brunton gear
Read more gear reviews by Derek Hansen