Reviews > Electronic Devices > Solar Chargers > Brunton Torpedo 2800 > Test Report by Marina Batzke

BRUNTON TORPEDO 2800
TEST SERIES BY MARINA BATZKE
August 07, 2014

NAME: Marina Batzke
EMAIL: mbbp2013 (at) hotmail (dot) com
LOCATION: Los Angeles County, California, USA
GENDER: F

I converted from day hiking and car camping to backpacking in spring 2013. Since then, I have selectively purchased new, more lightweight gear, while I still carry some heavier gear from my car camping trips. I always hike with a group and I like the gear talk when in camp. I am a tent camper looking for ways to lighten my pack. My backpacking trips are currently weekend excursions in Southern California, USA. If my business travel allows me to get away, I try to backpack one or two weekends a month.

Manufacturer: Brunton, Boulder, Colorado, USA
Year of Manufacture: 2014
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.brunton.com
MSRP: N/A
Listed Weight on Package: 4.78 oz (135 g)
Measured Weight: 4.8 oz (136 g)
Listed Dimensions on Package: 5 in (15.7 cm) x 1 in (2.5 cm) x 5 in (15.7 cm)
Measured Dimensions: 5 in (12.7 cm) x 1.06 in (2.7 cm) diameter
Other details:
On the Brunton website, I cannot locate the Torpedo 2800.

The Brunton Torpedo 2800 arrived packaged inside a cardboard / blister plastic combination. I separated the two cardboard layers and pulled the Torpedo out of its plastic packaging. I then noticed a yellowish paper pouch between those two cardboard layers (behind the Torpedo) and found the folded USER MANUAL inside.
Front side packing unit
Back side packing unit

The Torpedo is 5 in (12.7 cm) long and at its black base 1.06 in (2.7 cm) diameter. When I hold the Torpedo in my hand, I can feel its weight but it does not feel heavy. My Torpedo has a black hard plastic base which I call "the handle": 2.5 in (6.3 cm) long. The Brunton name is shown in yellow on one side of this handle.

Next comes a black hard plastic ring with two projecting openings. Each opening shows two screws that hold this ring section together. I have no idea what those openings are for. Could I attach the Torpedo to something, using one or both of these openings? Or is it just the design for the screws?
Torpedo with USB output 1 and Micro USB input port

In this 1 in (2.5 cm) section on the side that shows the Brunton name in yellow, the Torpedo has the Micro USB port that I insert my cell phone cable into. Right next to this small opening is USB output 1.
USB Output 2 and tiny power button and 3 LEDs

On the opposite side, the Torpedo has USB output 2 and a small Power button with 3 tiny LED lights next to it. In Photo 4, you see the three LEDs illuminated, showing full charge. And you see part of my cell phone cable, inserted into the Micro USB input port on the opposite side.

The Torpedo's top section is 1.06 in (2.7 cm) brushed silver with a receding black hard plastic tip (0.03 in = 0.8 cm) and a metal contact (0.2 in = 0.5 cm): this whole section is the car charger input. I can insert it into a car cigarette lighter and charge the Torpedo.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

After unfolding the User Manual, I noticed the front page has use instructions in English, French and German. The English and German instructions have proper grammar and can easily be followed. The text is supported by a few drawings.

The Torpedo contains a Lithium battery that I can charge and it becomes power on-the-go. A fully charged Torpedo is said to charge:
a smart phone twice, or
an MP3 player three times, or
a head lamp twice (my head lamp does not have a recharge function; it works on batteries), or
a GPS twice, or
a video camera three times, or
a UV water purifier three times.

The User Manual recommends to first fully charge the Torpedo before using it as on-the-go power source. Brunton also recommends to recharge the Torpedo every 4 to 5 months if it has not been used, as there may be a natural power loss. Brunton also recommends to not wait til the Torpedo is fully depleted and then recharge. It is more efficient to just refill what has been used, instead of completely draining the Lithium battery for a full reloading of power.

I am very impressed by Brunton's warranty: It says on the cardboard packaging: "Buy it. Try it. Bust it. Return it. No questions asked." Brunton encourages users to register the Torpedo 2800 on their website. If anything is wrong with the Torpedo, users shall obtain a Return Authorization number and Brunton then reserves the right to repair or replace the item.

TRYING IT OUT

The Brunton Torpedo 2800 does not come with a charging cable but my cell phone cable fits into the Micro USB input port.

Using my cell phone cable, I connected the Torpedo to a wall power outlet. 2 LED indicators immediately illuminated with a constant orange, while the third LED indicator started blinking in orange. I kept walking by the Torpedo to check for any changes and that third LED indicator kept blinking ... one hour ... 2 hours ... 3 hours ... 3 hours 15 minutes ... When I next walked by at 3 hours 30 minutes, all three LEDs were a constant orange color - the blinking had stopped. The Torpedo was fully charged.

A while later, I pressed on the small Power button: all 3 LEDs illuminated in orange. The Torpedo confirmed to me that it was fully charged. After two seconds this power level indicator turned off.

TESTING STRATEGY

I am looking forward to testing the Torpedo charging my cell phone, both while backpacking and while on business trips where my cell phone's power typically does not last a full work day due to GPS draining its battery power. I will also try charging my portable GPS for the car and my digital camera to see how the Torpedo performs with each of these different devices.

Thank you very much to Brunton and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this handy power pack. Please check back for my field report in about 2 months.

SIGNATURE

Marina Batzke

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Brunton gear
Read more gear reviews by Marina Batzke