Reviews > Eye Protection and Binoculars > Sun Glasses > Costa Del Mar Bay Frame Sunglasses > Test Report by Christie Kimber

Costa Del Mar Bayside Sunglasses

Height: 6’0" (183 cm)
Weight: 145 lb (65 kg)
Email address: christiekimber AT yahoo DOT com
City, State, Country: Courtenay, British Columbia (BC), Canada
Backpacking Background: I started hiking in 2015 when I moved from Saskatchewan to Vancouver Island, British Columbia. I started with day hikes and have eventually pushed myself to weekend and even week-long excursions. I am a three-season hiker. That being said, as I gather new gear and develop skills I am pushing my limits to try out 4-season backpacking and mountaineering. Vancouver Island gets a lot of rain and has a moderate climate. I also spend time in interior British Columbia in the Rocky Mountains.

Product Information:

Manufacturer: Costa Del Mar
Year of Manufacture: 2018
URL: https://www.costadelmar.com
Frame Style: Bayside
Frame Color: Tortoise
Lens Color: Copper
Lens Material: Polarized plastic (580P)
Size: One size c2
Available Frame Colors: Bahama Blue Fade, Tortoise, Shiny Black, Matte Coral
Available Lens Colors: Blue Mirror, Gray, Copper, Green Mirror, Copper Silver, Gray Silver
Available Materials: Polarized glass, polarized plastic
Listed Weight: not listed
Actual Weight: 29 g (1 oz)
MSRP: $199 USD
Date Received: Sept 30, 2018
Listed Measurements:
•    Medium fit
•    Frame width: 137 mm (5.4 in)
•    Bridge width: 18 mm (0.7 in)
•    Lens width: 56 mm (2.2 in)
•    Lens height: 45 mm (1.8 in)
•    Temple arm length: 125 mm (4.9 in)
Actual Measurements:
•    As above

Initial Impressions
    The Costa Del Mar Bayside sunglasses arrived in Costa Del Mar cardboard packaging. Included in the box was a hard carry case with a zip closure, a cleaning cloth, a sticker, and a notice regarding limited lifetime warranty. Everything was received in good condition.
    When I first picked up these sunglasses they felt sturdy, albeit somewhat heavy. They have a “staged” opening where the arms need to be pulled through two kind of “clicks” before they fully open. I noticed there was some padding on the bridge of the nose and the arms of the sunglasses. I did not see instructions noting the purpose, but I assume either to prevent slipping from sweat, or to provide an extra cushion at contact points.
    When I put on the sunglasses I was surprised to feel how light they felt on my face despite feeling quite heavy in my hand. They fit well, although I think they look a bit large in general (more on that below).

Product Description and Construction
    I received the Tortoise frames with the Copper polarized plastic lenses. The Copper lenses are said to provide natural contrast which makes me think they will be appropriate for daily use and almost all activities. According to the included pamphlet the sunglasses filter out all yellow light and increase the contrast of reds, blues and greens, while also sharpening dull, hazy images. According to the website the sunglasses are lightweight and impact resistant. The polarized plastic lenses are made of six layers:
•    C-Wall Molecular bond - provides scratch resistance
•    Mirror - optional, as noted above in lens colors
•    Polycarbonate lens – light and durable material
•    Polarized film
•    Polycarbonate lens
•    C-Wall Molecular bond
The polarized glass lenses are constructed a bit differently (outline is available on the website).

I also saw on the website that I am able to customize the color/lens combination. In addition, prescription lenses are available by following a three step process outlined on the manufacturer website that starts with visiting a prescription dealer.

Fit
    As noted above, these sunglasses are advertised as a medium fit. I feel I have a medium face. This is not based on any particular scientific evidence; it is simply my opinion based on the fact that I find most sunglasses fit me. While these sunglasses also seem to fit comfortably on my face/nose/ears, I think they appear a bit large aesthetically. I believe they are unisex, but I wonder if they would look a bit better on a male. The lenses are wide and wrap slightly at the edges. I am unable to look “around” the lens at all. It covers both my direct and peripheral vision in all directions.
    Detailed measurements are provided on the website and are accurate. This would be handy for any future online orders if I were unable to try them on in person. I did not notice any pressure points on my face when I shook my head gently and jumped up and down; the sunglasses stayed in place.

c3      c4

Care
    As I expected, sunglasses do not require much ongoing care. There are no included instructions regarding care. However, there are care tips under the FAQ section on the manufacturer's website:
•   Avoid storing sunglasses in excessively hot or cold environments, such as your car on a hot day, to prevent possible warping.
•   Store your sunglasses in the Costa case provided for protection.
•   Always rinse your sunglasses with freshwater before wiping or cleaning them with a microfiber cloth.
•   If your sunglasses have lost their shape, do not attempt adjustments; have a local eyewear professional adjust them for you.

Summary
    The Costa Del Mar Bayside sunglasses have polarized lenses to provide a natural contrast.  Although not particularly fashionable, I think their performance will make it worth carrying them around for the next four months!

Field Report

December 8, 2018

Field Testing:c1
  • Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada
    • Elevation: 450 m (1480 ft)
    • Duration: 3 days, 2 nights
    • Temperature:  6 to 16 C (43 – 61 F)
    • Weather: sunny and clear. No precipitation. Winds up to 80 km per hour (50 miles per hour).
    • Trail Conditions: well-travelled trails through Acadian Forest. A lot of exposure to the elements at times.
  • Confederation Trail, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    • Elevation: flat
    • Duration: 15 km (9.3 miles)
    • Temperature: 18 C (57 F)
    • Weather: overcast
    • Trail Conditions: wide, flat, sandy path
  • Prince Edward National Park, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    • Elevation: 103 m (340 ft)
    • Duration: 10 km (6.2 miles)
    • Temperature: 4 C (39 F)
    • Weather: raining intermittently, windy
    • Trail Conditions: Mixed. Red sand beach and dunes, paved walkway, grassy path
  • Comox, British Columbia
    • daily use driving, walking, biking
    • variable conditions
Field Performance:
    This fall I was able to test the Costa Del Mar Bayside sunglasses in a variety of conditions and locations. I was most impressed with them during my time out in Eastern Canada. I spent a couple of weekends hiking through the Acadian forest just as the leaves were changing from green to red. This is a stunning phenomenon to see at the best of times, but with the Bayside sunglasses, I feel the experience was even more spectacular. I was impressed by how well the yellow, orange, and red colors popped. Not only did the sunglasses bring out the red colors and make them appear more brilliant, I feel it actually made my vision clearer as well. I have never experienced the feeling of sunglasses actually improving my overall vision - even compared to the other pair of polarized sunglasses I own. I was blown away by the clarity and color transformation. I felt like I was seeing things in "high definition".
    That being said, back on Vancouver Island where nature tends to only exist in shades of green and blue, I did not feel as though these sunglasses were as impressive. Although they are not targeted for a particular use, I thought they performed best when in an environment with shades of red. The Bayside sunglasses still provided an incredible amount of clarity, but I didn't find blues or greens popped, and actually thought it added a bit of a red hue to everything overall.
     These sunglasses provided great eye protection. I did not find any sun was getting in around the edges of the sunglasses. The lenses are quite wide and wrap around slightly at the edges, which also provides great peripheral vision. I wore these sunglasses on a very windy day and they stayed on my face in high winds, when bending over, and with head shaking.
    These glasses sat comfortably on my face. They did not slip even when I was sweating and I did not notice any sweat pooling. They also did not squeeze my temples or feel heavy on my ears after a full day of use. They did not fog up in cold or sweaty conditions. The included soft cloth was easy to use to clean any dust and greasy finger smudges off with.
    I had no concerns in terms of the packability. I really like the hard-sided case that is included as opposed to just a soft sock that is included with some sunglasses. I put the sunglasses in the case and then the case in my backpack without concern. The sunglasses are light weight but robust. I did drop them once from standing height and they did not scratch or get damaged.
    I also only found out after the fact when doing more research on these sunglasses that the lenses are hydrophobic. I wore them during a period of light rain and did note that the water beaded and slid off the lenses. The lenses also aren't too dark to wear during an overcast day which is great, as my eyes can still be sensitive during these conditions.

c2

Pros:

-    Clarity
-    Pop of red colors
-    comfort

Cons:
-    Not particularly fashionable for females (in my opinion)

This concludes my Field Report.  The Long-Term Report should be completed in two months time.  Please check back then for further information.

Read more reviews of Costa Del Mar gear