Reviews > Eye Protection and Binoculars > Sun Glasses > Guideline Eyewear Draft Sunglasses > Test Report by Kara Stanley

GUIDELINE DRAFT
TEST SERIES BY KARA STANLEY
November 11, 2013

NAME: Kara Stanley
EMAIL: karguo (at) yahoo (dot) com
LOCATION: Phoenix, Arizona
GENDER: F

I have been hiking most of my life and backpacking since 2006. I have hiked mostly on the east coast, doing weekend trips in the Appalachian Mountains. Since moving to Arizona, my hikes have ranged from short desert hikes to overnight backpacking trips in the mountains. Recently I have taken up canyoneering and off-trail hiking/backpacking to spice things up. I currently use a solo non-free standing tent, canister stove, purification tabs, and lightweight trail runners, conditions permitting, to cut down on weight. My hikes are solo and range from an overnight trip to 4-5 nights on the trail.

Manufacturer: Guideline

Year of Manufacture: 2013

Manufacturer's Website: http://www.glpolarized.com/

MSRP: US$59.95

Listed Weight: N/A

Measured Weight: Sunglasses 1 oz/30gm; Sunglasses case 1.3 oz/37 gm

Other details: The Guideline Draft comes in two color choices: Shiny Brown Tortoise / Freestone Brown and Shiny Black / Deep Water Gray.

Measured Size Opened for wear: 5 1/2 in/14cm for the lense part and 6 3/4 in/17.2 cm from the nose piece to the tip of the ear piece.

Measured Size Closed for storage: 5 1/2 in/14cm by 2 1/2 in/6.4 cm

The Guideline Draft sunglasses, here on referred to as the sunglasses, arrived with a storage case to protect them when they are not being worn.

The sunglasses are a nice shade of tortoise shell with brown lenses that are "deal for low light conditions and overcast days" according to Guideline's website. They have vents in the top of the frame to help ( I think) prevent the sunglasses from fogging up and allow air to flow between the face and the glasses.

From the Guideline website

The sunglasses case is simple, with a hook and loop closure and a divot inside the case for the nose piece to rest on. There are no loops on the case for attached it to the outside of a backpack or a belt. Either option would have been nice so that I could attach the case to chest trap of my backpack for easy storage when I wasn't wearing them.

TRYING IT OUT

I chose to test the brown lens sunglasses because I often hike in deep, narrow canyons that provide low light conditions and I wanted to see how these sunglasses would perform as I have found other sunglasses lenses to be too dark to wear in a canyon.

I have worn these sunglasses on a few hikes, both in bright daylight and low light canyons with tree cover in the bottom. So far I have found that they provide good protection during bright light periods and also the lenses are light enough that I can wear them in low night situations longer then I have been able to wear sunglasses with dark lenses in the past.

I find the fit to be comfortable and they are light weight. So far my only complaint is that my hair does get stuck where the hinges are when I push the sunglasses on top of my head. I do like the wrap around style of the sunglasses as they provide ample protection from the harsh desert sunlight.

SUMMARY

Overall the sunglasses seem well made and comfortable. I will be interested in seeing how well they hold up to backpacking over the next few months. Check back in four months for my long term review of these sunglasses.

Thank you BackpackGearTest.org and Guideline for the chance to test out these sunglasses.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Guideline Eyewear gear