Reviews > Food Preparation Gear > Smelly Proof Storage Bags > Test Report by Michael Pearl

SMELLY PROOF STORAGE BAGS
TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL

INITIAL REPORT - May 14, 2019

NAME: Mike Pearl
EMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcom
LOCATION: Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
GENDER: M

I have a great appreciation for the outdoors and get out at every opportunity. I am a three-season, learning to be a four-season backpacker and year-round hiker. Currently, my trips are two to three days long as well as an annual week-long trip. I utilize the abundant trail shelters in my locale and pack a backup tarp-tent. I like to cover big distances while still taking in the views. I have lightweight leanings but function and reliability are the priority. I mostly travel woodland mountain terrain but enjoy hiking beautiful trails anywhere.

Manufacturer: Smelly Proof
Year of Manufacture: 2019
Manufacturer's Website: www.smellyproof.com
Made in: USA

The Smelly Proof storage bags are available in five sizes. Smelly Proof lists dimensions and capacity but not weight. I measured each size bag and confirmed the listed dimensions. I did not measure capacities. I will wait till it's time to use the bags and report on items that fit each bag. I did weigh each size bag on my home digital food scale, just in case it is of interest.

Extra Small - 10 bags per package
MSRP: US $7.49
Listed Capacity: 3 fl oz (89 ml)
Listed Dimensions: 4 x 3 in (10 x 8 cm)
Measured Weight: oz (3 g)
Small - 10 bags per package
MSRP: US $7.99
Listed Capacity: 8 fl oz (237 ml)
Listed Dimensions: 6 x 4 in (15 x 10 cm)
Measured Weight: 0.14 oz (4 g)

Medium - 10 bags per package
MSRP: US $8.99
Listed Capacity: 28 fl oz (828 ml)
Listed Dimensions: 7.5 x 6.5 in (19 x 16.5 cm)
Measured Weight: 0.25 oz (7 g)

Large - 5 stand up bags per package
MSRP: US $14.99 (stand up)
Listed Capacity: 80 fl oz (2.4 l)
Listed Dimensions: 10 x 8.5 in (25 x 22 cm)
Measured Weight: 0.7 oz (19 g)

Large - 10 clear bags per package
MSRP: US $17.99 (clear)
Listed Capacity: 80 fl oz (2.4 l)
Listed Dimensions: 10 x 8.5 in (25 x 22 cm)
Measured Weight: 0.7 oz (19 g)

Extra Large - 5 bags per package
MSRP: US $14.95
Listed Capacity: 256 fl oz (7.6)
Listed Dimensions: 16 x 12 in (40 x 30 cm)
Measured Weight: 1.3 oz (36 g)

Details:
- Tear and Puncture Resistant
- Dual-Track Leak-Proof Zipper Seal
- BPA-Free and FDA Approved
- Available in Clear, Stand Up or Black

I received one package of extra small, small and medium sized bags. I received two packages of large and extra large bags. All the bags are clear plastic. In the large size I also received a stand up bag which as implied has a bottom that allows it to stand. Smelly Proof also makes a black bag. I opened one package of each size to check them out. They are all made of the same rather thick plastic. They are sturdy and pulling on them does not stretch or deform the bag. The edges of the bags are surprisingly robust. There is a 3/8 in (1 cm) "welded" seam on three sides. The opening has a generous edge to grasp and it takes a fair amount of pull to open the bags. It seals like a traditional sandwich bag but with a double-track seal top. They are easy to engage and seal in one slide across the bag. I really like the closure it is solid and secure. I cannot foresee any accidental spillage from these bags. The Every bag has the Smelly Proof name and company website on it. These bags are definitely strong and I can image storing lots of different things in them.

TRYING IT OUT

Wanting the most sensitive nose in the house I called upon Oscar our pet dog. While having a good sense of smell he is not very good at communicating the information he gathers. The best I could think of was to put a piece of cheese in an extra small Smelly Proof bag, a piece in a regular plastic sandwich bag and one loose on the floor. I placed each about 3 ft (1 m) apart and called him in. Oscar quickly sniffed and ate the loose piece. He smelled the regular plastic bag, pushed it around and tried to bite at it. The Smelly Proof bag he sniffed once and went back to the now punctured sandwich bag. I took it away before he could eat any plastic. This might not exactly be a scientific experiment but it is encouraging to me. I intend to repeat this experiment on my first overnight with the Smelly Proof bags.

SUMMARY

The Smelly Proof bags are sturdy well-made storage bags. I like the strong welded edges and seal top closure. The varied sizes will be great for storing a wide range of items from hygiene and toiletries to foods. I am really keen on the abilities to seal in smell or odors to eliminate or reduce attracting unwanted guest to my campsite. However I have witnessed firsthand shockingly crafty mice in some trail shelters. The Smelly Proof bags will have to prove themselves in the woods before I am a believer.

This brings my Initial Report to an end. The next two months will provide for use and experience backpacking with the Smelly Proof bags. Please return then for my Field Report.

I would like to extend my appreciation to Smelly Proof Bags and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test these bags.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2019. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Smelly Proof gear