Reviews > Food > Energy Bars and Drinks > Know Brainer Hot Drinks > Test Report by Andrea Murland

KnowBrainer Keto Instants

Name: Andrea Murland
Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
Location: Elkford, British Columbia, Canada
Gender: Female
Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
Weight: 130 lb (59 kg)

I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent 2 months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2-3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don’t have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don’t consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

Initial Report – September 23, 2017

Product Information

Manufacturer: Know Brainer Foods LLC
Manufacturer's URL: www.myknowbrainer.com
Year of Manufacture: 2017
MSRP: US $2.00 for creamers, not available for other products
Products Tested: Original Ketogenic Coffee, Mocha Ketogenic Coffee, French Vanilla Ketogenic Coffee,
Ketogenic Hot Chocolate, Ketogenic Chai Tea, Original the thinker’s Creamer
Listed Weight: Varies by Product, Net Weight 0.9-1.3 oz (28-38 g)
Measured Weight: Varies by Product, 1.1-1.5 oz (31-43 g)
KnowBrainer Packets

Description & Initial Impressions

The KnowBrainer products are a line of hot drinks and creamers that are high-fat and low-carb. They are compatible with a ketogenic diet, and there are options that are compatible with a dairy-free diet as well. The base of all of the products is MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) oil, from coconut oil, and most of the products I am testing have clarified butter as the second ingredient. The packaging also indicates that the products are gluten-free and non-GMO.

The products are packaged in individual serving packets, which measure 12 x 7 cm (4.7 x 2.8 in). The packets feel plasticized and are pliable. The contents feel like a thick liquid.

The instructions on the products are: “ knead & squeeze me before opening. Then just add to a cup of hot water and stir me up, buttercup.” The creamer instructions are worded slightly differently (since it’s being added to a cup of coffee), but are essentially the same.

Summary

The KnowBrainer drinks look like a nice option in the backcountry! I usually can’t be bothered with making coffee in the backcountry and packing in sweetener and creamer, so the combined instant product seems like what I’m looking for. We’ll have to see how I like the taste and also how much energy the high-fat boost in the morning gives me!

Thanks to KnowBrainer and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test these hot drinks. Check back in three months (December 2017) for my Long Term Report.

Read more reviews of Know Brainer gear