Reviews > Food > Packaged Meals > Bridgford Pizza, Beef, BBQ > Test Report by Nancy Griffith

BRIDGFORD PIZZA, BEEF, BBQ
TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
January 12, 2019

NAME: Nancy Griffith
EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
LOCATION: Northern California, USA
GENDER: F

My outdoor experience began in high school with a co-ed scout group which made a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds. I've been backpacking since college in Pennsylvania. I have hiked 1/4 of the Appalachian Trail and 2/3 of the Pacific Crest Trail. My typical trip is in the Sierra Nevada from a few days to a few weeks long. My base weight is lightweight at 15 lb (6.8 kg) while still using a tent, stove and quilt. Longer mileage summer trips are now stoveless.

package frontpackage backManufacturer: Bridgford Foods Corp.
Year of Manufacture: 2019
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.bridgford.com
MSRP: Not Available

Listed Weight: 3.1 oz (88 g) per slice of pizza; 4.4 oz (125 g) per 2-wrap serving
Measured Weight (including packaging):
5.3 oz (150 g) for Mexican Beef Wrap
5.1 oz (145 g) for Pork BBQ Wrap
Varied from 3.6 oz (102 g) to 4.1 oz (116 g) for Pepperoni Pizza

Inner MRE Package Size:
6 in x 8-1/2 in x 1 in (15 cm x 22 cm x 2.5 cm) for each wrap variety
6 in x 6 in x 1 in (15 cm x 15 cm x 2.5 cm) for pizza slice

3-year shelf life if stored at 80 F (27 C)
6-month shelf life if stored at 100 F (38 C)

Made in USA

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The Bridgford Pepperoni and Cheese Pizza is packaged with two slices per pouch with a serving size consisting of one slice. Each slice is individually packaged in an MRE (Meal-Ready-to-Eat) brown wrapper with nutrition information printed on the outside.

The Bridgford Mexican Style Beef Wraps are packaged with two wraps per pouch with a serving size consisting of both wraps. The two wraps are packaged in one MRE wrapper.

The Bridgford Pork with BBQ Sauce Wraps are packaged similarly to the above wraps.

Nutritional Information:

Dietary Fiber: 2g
Sugars: 5g
Protein: 18g

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS & TRYING IT OUT

MRE pizzaMy initial impression was that the packages appeared similar to what I had seen on the website. The outer packaging is a thin plastic pouch which has a tear open notch and inside is two packages in MRE-style heavier packaging in the case of the pizza and one inside MRE package in the case of the wraps.

I have to admit that it was confusing to me on the website to figure out how many servings were contained in one package. These meals all appear under the website heading of '2-count on the go packs' with the description of 'each pack contains two sandwiches'. This is fine but still didn't really clarify to me whether '2 sandwiches' was one or two servings. Anyway, it was confirmed when they arrived that the pizza serving consists of one slice thus making the package hold two servings while the wrap serving consists of 2 wraps thus making a package hold one serving. If I was ordering these online (which I would be since I was unable to find them locally), then I would have ordered half as many wraps as I wanted. I realize that serving sizes are not uniform and vary by individual, but having two-packs that consist of both one and two servings is confusing to me.

MRE beef wrapThe tear open notch worked easily to completely remove the top of the package without scissors and without any struggle to get a good tear. For backpacking, I'll plan to remove the outer packaging in order to save weight and for more compact packing inside my pack. The inner MRE packages certainly seem stout enough to not worry about a breach.

The MRE packages are not resealable, so in the case of the pizza that should be fine. One slice at 270 calories would make a good meal for me. I'll have to see if I can eat both wraps at one sitting or if I'll have to find a way to store one or share one.

I was happy to see that each serving contains between 10 and 18 grams of protein. Nicely done! Each variety packs a pretty hefty amount of salt which is ok by me since I am usually sweating and drinking a lot of water and need to replenish quite a bit of salt to keep my electrolytes balanced. I was surprised at the amount of sugar in the BBQ wrap versus the Beef wrap but I'll have to see how that plays out in taste.

I will wait until I'm out in the wilderness to eat these meals.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

pizza potThe instructions state that each of the meals can be eaten directly from the pouch but also include heating instructions. The types of heating include MRE/Flameless Heater, Boiling Water, Microwave and Toaster Oven.

Since I don't have an MRE heater and will be on the trail, I'll plan to use the boiling water method. This says to immerse in boiling water for 6 minutes prior to opening the pouch and eating. This seems like quite a long boil time so I'll plan to carry some extra fuel. I typically rehydrate meals which only require getting water to a boil and then pouring it over the meal. I use a 900 mL (30 oz) pot which I'm not sure will be large enough to easily heat the meal pouches, but we will see! The pizza fits better than the wraps but maybe I'll have to turn the pouch over midway.

I'm used to backpacking in warm weather without using a stove at all in which case these meals would be just fine eaten cold. Well, assuming that I like the taste! When hiking in areas with limited water, this would be particularly helpful since I wouldn't need to use any of my precious drinking water for hydrating meals.

SUMMARY

The Bridgford Pepperoni Pizza, Mexican Style Beef Wraps & Pork BBQ Wraps are ready-to-eat meals in secure packaging that can be eaten cold or heated.

Initial Likes:
Compact secure packaging
Interesting food/flavors
Good amount of protein
Don't need water to prepare

Initial Concerns:
How do they taste eaten without heating?
Heavier than freeze-dried meals

This concludes my Initial Test Report. Please check back in a few months to find out how these meals are working out in the field. Thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and Bridgford Foods for the opportunity to try out these meals.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2019. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Bridgford Foods gear