Reviews > Food > Packaged Meals > Good To Go Meals stew and chowder 2018 > Test Report by Michael Pearl

GOOD TO-GO MEALS
TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL

INITIAL REPORT - November 12, 2018

NAME: Mike Pearl
EMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcom
LOCATION: Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
GENDER: M

I have a great appreciation for the outdoors and get out at every opportunity. I am a three-season, learning to be a four-season backpacker and year-round hiker. Currently, my trips are two to three days long as well as an annual week-long trip. I utilize the abundant trail shelters in my locale and pack a backup tarp-tent. I like to cover big distances while still taking in the views. I have lightweight leanings but function and reliability are the priority. I mostly travel woodland mountain terrain but enjoy hiking beautiful trails anywhere.

Manufacturer: Good To-Go
Year of Manufacture: 2018
Manufacturer's Website: Good To-Go.com
Made in Maine, USA

New England Corn Chowdah with Sweet Potato and Smoked Fish
MSRP: US $6.95 / Single Serving
Listed Weight: 3.4 oz (96 g)
Measured Weight: 3.8 oz (108 g)

Available in double serving: 6.7 oz (190 g)
MSRP: US $12.95
Ingredients:
Dried Sweet Corn, Dried Sweet Potatoes, Whole Milk Powder (Dried Grade A Milk), Dried Potato Flakes, Dried Carrot, Dried Bonito (Fish), Dried Shallots, Dried Leeks, Sea Salt, Dried Parsley, Black Pepper

- Gluten-free
- Pescatarian
- 1-year shelf life

Kale and White Bean Stew
MSRP: US $6.95 / Single Serving
Listed Weight: 3.4 oz (96 g)
Measured Weight: 3.5 oz (99 g)

Available in double serving: 6.7 oz (190 g)
MSRP: US $12.95

Ingredients:
Onion, Carrots, Dried Navy Beans, Fennel, Celery, Dried Kale, Garlic, Dried Potato Flakes, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sweet Potato Powder, Nutritional Yeast, Sea Salt, Fennel Seeds, Dried Thyme, Black Pepper, Bay Leaf

- Gluten-free
- Vegan
- 2-year shelf life

IMAGE 3Two of each meal arrived neatly packaged in good condition. They are well sealed with an easy to rip open top and resealable closure below. The packets are approximately 8 x 6.5 in (20 x 16.5 cm) and fairly flat. They look like they should be easy to pack.

The ingredients as noted on the package are ones I can pronounce. They sound tasty and nutritious like something I would possibly prepare for dinner at home. I really like the use of whole foods without the preservatives or other "industrial foodstuff". The nutritional facts are appealing to me as well. The daily value percentages are pretty good. They are a bit higher in sodium than we cook home. However if I account for the sweat factor during activity the extra salt might be needed. The stew helps strike a health balance. It serves up the fiber at 40% daily value, they're definitely using real kale! When it comes to meals for hiking I always look at the calories. I definitely eat more than 2000 calories when hiking. At 330 for the chowdah and 360 for the stew I will need to pair these with other foods. Oh the spelling, this is a New England made chowder and in this neck of the woods they say "chow-dah". I like that Good To-Go has a sense of humor and pays vernacular homage to their locale.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

IMAGE 4Cooking instructions are as simple as the ingredients. The following are the paraphrased directions for on the back of each package.

- Open pouch and remove oxygen absorber
- Add boiling water (amounts differ for stew and chowdah) to bag. The boiling part is stressed.
- Stir, reseal and wait 15 minutes

The chowdah calls for a little less than 1.5 cups (350 ml).
The stew calls for a little more than 1.5 cups (375 ml).

TRYING IT OUT

I have not tried these meals yet. Rather i will wait till I am out on a backpack. I imagine rehydration times might vary between at home and outdoor cooking. Additionally, a day of hiking and dining al fresco may enhance or dampen my perception of flavor and taste.

While I have not had either of these specific meals from Good To-Go I have eaten several others. The ones I have tried were satisfying. Additionally my past experience had been in warmer months. This will be my first time making Good To-Go meals in the colder winter months.

SUMMARY

I'm a fan of a hearty stew or chowder especially in the winter. Both of these meals sound flavorful while providing wholesome nutrition. I like the use of the basic, whole food ingredients in an easy just add boiling water cooking method. I am looking forward to my outdoor dining experience with these meals.

This brings my Initial Report to its end. I will be preparing and consuming the meals in the field over the next few months. Please return to see how it goes. I would like to extend my appreciation to Good To-Go Meals and BackpackGearTest.org for making this test series possible.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2018. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Good To Go gear